Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Bascially if it considered for homeowners :I would thak that the same would be consider to be taxed at its value.Can have it just one way :IMO.People who have agarges or parking space are tax on the land and or buliding value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 58,978 times
Default I do own the on-street parking space

I'm not sure if this is true everywhere, and it still doesn't actually answer the question, but in my small, rural village, I own to the center of the street. The county has a permanent right-of-way across my property. That is in front of the house. At another point, my property is on both sides of the road, so the road is completely on my property. I have no rights as an owner.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you're visiting someone in the city. you could park in front of their property. Otherwise garage it, or what I did in Cambridge a few times; use a business' lot that (hopefully) doesn't tow.
And if your friend comes to visit you, are you going to move your car so he or she can park in front of your house? Then where are you going to park? In all likelihood, you wouldn't even own the space (because you wouldn't have a car) and you'd have to ask one of your neighbors (while they're gone) if your friend can park there (Good luck!). And parking garages generally do not abound in many residential neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
First, I'm not referring to thoroughfares. I mean cul-de-sacs and the like in suburban neighborhoods.

And, as to the four spaces, that's the garage and driveway and, more or less, describes every neighborhood outside of downtown built between 1950 and 2000 in a city of more than 900k. So, yes, the city was built on the car-first go-to-work-at-IBM/HP/Fairchild/the Air Force Base-then-come-home principle.

TND principles can also apply to non cul de sac streets in suburban residential neighborhoods.

Cul de sacs though, are pretty much non TND to begin with. I think the only real rationale for public ownership there is the maintenance efficiency issue. I mean look at how it works where a private homeowners association owns the street (common in suburban townhouse developments, and not unknown in SFH developments I think) They COULD have the HOA own the through lanes, and let the individual home owner own the parking spot. AFAIK they never do that. Why? I think its because the economies of maintenance dictate a common owner for the onstreet spots and the through lanes. If the CBA for seperating the ownership were strong, I would think we would see private HOAs doing it.

as for "describes every neighborhood outside of downtown built between 1950 and 2000 in a city of more than 900k" a bit exaggerated. There were plenty of TH developments in that era, plenty of houses built with one car garages, with carports, etc. Places where it would be a challenge to fit more than two cars on the offstreet parking.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
as for "describes every neighborhood outside of downtown built between 1950 and 2000 in a city of more than 900k" a bit exaggerated. There were plenty of TH developments in that era, plenty of houses built with one car garages, with carports, etc. Places where it would be a challenge to fit more than two cars on the offstreet parking.
Actually, I was describing my home city. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
So, it is the public interest to pay to build and maintain this asphalt though, in many neighborhoods, its only the residents who park there on a regular basis, the result of which being a publicly subsidized privately used parking space, for all intents and purposes? in my area, houses tend to have four spaces on the property, including the garage. Is it really in the public interest to subsidize the ownership of more vehicles then there are spaces to park them?
Where I live in Chicago(and I suspect most large cities), there are a number of laws that make owning many vehicles and parking them on the street a bad idea.

1. Fees

State renewal starting at $99
City sticker starting at $57.00
Parking(optional but needed if you park in a zoned area) $25.00

So for each car at least $156 a year assuming you don’t get those stickers late(state sticker expire at different times of the year) and if you live in a zoned area(which are areas with bad parking) $181. If you get those stickers late the fees jump over $100 each and if you don’t the ticket is even more!

2. Laws such as the abandoned vechile law.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e..._vehicles.html

In short you must move your car every seven days or risk being ticket and then towed(if you don’t move your car in time after getting the first ticket).

If your car has any sign of disrepair(broken windscreen, flat tires something that makes it incapable of operation) this law can kick in. It also gets enforced big time in winter after major snow falls(i.e. it Snowed 8 days ago and you did not clean your car therefore we know you didn’t move it).

In addition should your car go to the pound(which has a bad rep for getting your car damaged or stuff stolen off of) all your tickets with the city are due to be paid to get the car out the pound.

3. Street Sweeping in summer. Every month or so between April 1 and October 31 the city sends a street sweeper to clean the streets. They do one side of the street at a time(i.e. Monday then Tuesday) you must move your car for street sweeping during thoose hours posted on the sign or get a certain ticket(i.e. The abandoned vechile law you just might luck up and not get enforced on you but this one you will) and you may have to move your car twice if you parked across the street(and they tend to do all the streets in a area).

4. Certain types of vehicles have additional laws (pick up trucks, vans):
Pickup Truck Parking | Office of the City Clerk, City of Chicago

As you can see owning more cars than you can use and lack private parking for..a really bad idea here.

Last edited by chirack; 12-13-2012 at 03:01 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
So, it is the public interest to pay to build and maintain this asphalt though, in many neighborhoods, its only the residents who park there on a regular basis, the result of which being a publicly subsidized privately used parking space, for all intents and purposes? in my area, houses tend to have four spaces on the property, including the garage. Is it really in the public interest to subsidize the ownership of more vehicles then there are spaces to park them?

Where I live Apartment Buildings often do not have parking.

2 and 3 flat housing(duplexes) often do not have parking for both people living there(there might at best be one 2 car garage).

SFH may have anywhere from no garage to a one car garage or a two car garage. Most SFH have a two car garage. More than that is very very rare.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Where I live in Chicago(and I suspect most large cities), there are a number of laws that make owning many vehicles and parking them on the street a bad idea.

1. Fees

State renewal starting at $99
City sticker starting at $57.00
Parking(optional but needed if you park in a zoned area) $25.00

So for each car at least $156 a year assuming you don’t get those stickers late(state sticker expire at different times of the year) and if you live in a zoned area(which are areas with bad parking) $181. If you get those stickers late the fees jump over $100 each and if you don’t the ticket is even more!

2. Laws such as the abandoned vechile law.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/city/e..._vehicles.html

In short you must move your car every seven days or risk being ticket and then towed(if you don’t move your car in time after getting the first ticket).

If your car has any sign of disrepair(broken windscreen, flat tires something that makes it incapable of operation) this law can kick in. It also gets enforced big time in winter after major snow falls(i.e. it Snowed 8 days ago and you did not clean your car therefore we know you didn’t move it).

In addition should your car go to the pound(which has a bad rep for getting your car damaged or stuff stolen off of) all your tickets with the city are due to be paid to get the car out the pound.

3. Street Sweeping in summer. Every month or so between April 1 and October 31 the city sends a street sweeper to clean the streets. They do one side of the street at a time(i.e. Monday then Tuesday) you must move your car for street sweeping during thoose hours posted on the sign or get a certain ticket(i.e. The abandoned vechile law you just might luck up and not get enforced on you but this one you will) and you may have to move your car twice if you parked across the street(and they tend to do all the streets in a area).

4. Certain types of vehicles have additional laws (pick up trucks, vans):
Pickup Truck Parking | Office of the City Clerk, City of Chicago

As you can see owning more cars than you can use and lack private parking for..a really bad idea here.
My understanding is that New York is the same way. Now is this parking on the street in front of an apartment building (mid-rise/high-rise) or even to park on the street in front of a house?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
My understanding is that New York is the same way. Now is this parking on the street in front of an apartment building (mid-rise/high-rise) or even to park on the street in front of a house?
Yes. However you can get into parking issuses when you have blocks of apartment buildings that lack parking. You also get parking issuses if something attracts a crowd to the area but does not have enough parking for itself(or charges for parking) in which case you can push to zone the area so that only residents(and people who they supply passes to) can park there.

Once the area is zoned if you park there without the correct sticker you will get ticketed and towed.

Last edited by chirack; 12-13-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
New York City doesn't have an abandoned cars law, but it does weekly street cleaning for much of the city, which has roughly the same effect. None of the city has residential parking permits. You can usually find street parking, though not always right on the same street where you live. Time it takes varies widely by neighborhood.

Many sections of the city is blocks of apartment buildings without parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning