Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

I think it exists most places. Including rural counties where no transit bus dares to tread. I even rode it a few times when I was disabled. For districts with lots of money and political clout, there is even personal rapid transit.http://transportation.wvu.edu/prt

Last edited by pvande55; 11-30-2012 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default The bike

Need I say more? If there are bike paths or bike lanes and it is basically flat, take the bike not the car. My car just sits. And yes I am a geezer. Most State Implementation Plans for poor air quality locales provide for bike paths.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:54 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Need I say more? If there are bike paths or bike lanes and it is basically flat, take the bike not the car. My car just sits. And yes I am a geezer. Most State Implementation Plans for poor air quality locales provide for bike paths.
I got around carless for a couple years by mainly riding my bike. My trips would be supplemented by the busses, but sometimes it was hard to feel independent even with the bike. Sunday afternoons were especially tough since the busses stop at 6 or so, since my place was a 20 min drive/1 hr bike ride from the University area where more things were going on. Feeling a bit 'stuck' left me wishing I belonged to some taxi co-op or something that could take me and the bike back.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
What if bus stops had buttons you push to summon the next bus like you press the button at an elevator? I think something like this could work, especially in cities that aren't very dense and don't have a constant demand to justify fixed routes that carry few passengers.

Has anything like this already been introduced or implemented anywhere?
It would be cheaper to just send and pay for you a taxi.Nearby city with what they see has cuts coming in subsidy is considerig do just that in seel subsided atxi discounts to replace expenesive bus system. System cost 2.4 million to operate;they got 900K in fares last year and federal and city split the rest of cost.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It would be cheaper to just send and pay for you a taxi.
Nah taxis here would run me $50 to get back probably.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 AM

There are a ton of ways this could be implemented. For example, on fixed routes with low ridership they could have busses throughout the route on 'standby' waiting for the signal for pick people up. Might not work perfect but could be better than having empty busses running in loops.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:38 AM

I think any fixed route starting at point A and ending at point B could be compared to a high-rise building, with the top of the building being the end of the route and each floor being a designated stop along the way. Would it make sense in a building to have the elevators constantly circulating even if nobody was using them?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It would be cheaper to just send and pay for you a taxi.Nearby city with what they see has cuts coming in subsidy is considerig do just that in seel subsided atxi discounts to replace expenesive bus system. System cost 2.4 million to operate;they got 900K in fares last year and federal and city split the rest of cost.
That's about average - 33%

Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
Nah taxis here would run me $50 to get back probably.
Right but the bus trip costs more

(forget about who is paying for the service a moment)

Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think it exists most places. Including rural counties where no transit bus dares to tread. I even rode it a few times when I was disabled. For districts with lots of money and political clout, there is even personal rapid transit.Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) | Transportation and Parking | West Virginia University
To my understanding the PRT in Morgantown is the only in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning