Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM

406 posts, read 500,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post

Lovely I-68 in western MD, aka National Freeway, is the only "freeway" in MD that I'm aware of.
Beautiful highway, seeing pictures like that is giving me nostalgia already from my first major solo road trip last July from NYC to Cincinnati....carving up the western, mountainous half of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in my 2011 Kia "sports car" lol. First time hitting the streets of downtown Cincy, I couldn't even believe that this was a city, having driven in Manhattan hundreds of times in my life, especially speaking of traffic signal timing in an urban area...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM

497 posts, read 553,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The best intersection type for progression is the superstreet. It allows the signals facing opposite directions to be green at different times in the cycle.
The idea of "turning right to go left" is a main feature of the superstreet. This concept is something metro Detroit drivers have long been accustomed to. The following picture was taken along Woodward Avenue in the 1930s...

Superstreets in metro Detroit include Telegraph, 8 Mile Road, Mound Road, Hall Road, Metroplitan Parkway, Stephenson Highway, Gratiot Avenue, Northwestern Highway, Fort Street, and Michigan Avenue. The widespread use of superstreets is a major reason why Detroit has decent signal progression.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Los Angeles is trying to time its arterial streets the whole way through:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/us...ht.html?ref=us

Old 04-02-2013, 03:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Los Angeles is trying to time its arterial streets the whole way through:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/us...ht.html?ref=us
You see it in action a lot with the buses getting signal priority... and perhaps even more importantly, with emergency vehicles. Obviously they have the ROW no matter what, but it helps when the light stays green for the the entire way through the intersection.

Overall it's probably not going to help traffic / congestion all that much, especially as Los Angeles continues to grow, but one place it might be very beneficial (other than the above) is that if it cuts down on times stopped at a red light, it can really do a lot to cut down on emissions.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
They do ;its just that most do not relies what that emans i not just the flow but actully contrtolling that flow over a wide area.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
You are confusing different kinds of highways:

- An expressway is a limited access at-grade multilane highway with traffic lights at major intersections, and with all other intersections removed (or restricted to right turns onto and off of the side road). There are occasional interchanges. Usually driveways are prohibited.

- A freeway is a fully controlled access highway where there are no intersections, and entry and exit are by means of interchanges. No tolls are charged to use it.

- A tollway is like a freeway, except that tolls are charged to use it.
The above are the classes of roads used by the US Department of Transportation.

What government officials decide to name roads has nothing to do with the classes. They usually choose something that sounds nice.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:46 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
I know they set it up in Richmond so you can go non-stop for at least a half dozen blocks at a time, and you cant go too fast, or slow.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
The two main north/south arteries through downtown Raleigh are timed so that one only stops once (if at all) for the commute through the city core. These arteries are each 4 lanes, one-way and located just a block from the other. This has enabled Raleigh to accommodate significant amount of north and south traffic at 35mph without having to plow a freeway through the middle of the city. Because these roads are each one way, you eliminate the need for center turn lanes that eat up land and increase the overall width of the roadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning