Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,234,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Germany is 31% forested

List of countries by forest area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same as the US, but the US has large sections of the country that can't support forests. As to being incredibly dense, parts are, but subregions of the US (especially where people live) may have similar densities. France has the same population density as Pennsylvania. Massachusetts is denser overall.

While of course Europe was developed before the US, except for the oldest sections of cities, most cities were built up in the 19th and early 20th century. And Europe has built newer development in the last century, where the majority of residents now live. With far less strip malls, though they do have big box centers as I showed above.
Well, fine. The parts of Germany I saw, in western Germany, bordering the Netherlands, were more like the Netherlands, with its 8.79%. I believe that part in the bold is incorrect. I saw plenty of buildings from before 1800 while there. It is true that western Europe and parts of the UK were re-built after WW II, because they had been bombed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,189,147 times
I think that area (Low Countries and nearby Germany) is one of the densest sections of Europe:

File:Population density Europe.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The UK, too isn't much better at 11% and rather obvious from visiting. Here's a photo of a forested area in Germany:

File:Murgtalbahn Tennetschluchtbruecke Stadtbahn.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Re: Bolded, I don't think that's true, though it obviously depends on the city. While the centers of Eureopean may be very old, most of the population and buildings are not from that era. Europe was mostly rural in the 18th century; population growth and urbanization was high in the 19th (and the 20th for some countries). Europe also had a baby boom postwar like the US, though not as high. Hard to find stats on when places were built but population levels should give a decent estimate. Let's look at Paris. As a capital city, it was already large by the end of the 18th century.

Demographics of Paris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Population at the end of the 1700s: around 630,000
Population early 20th century (just before WWI): 4,500,000
by the then the urban growth had spilled past the city limits (annexation wasn't permitted), so I'm using the urban area population
Population at end of World War II: 5.8 million
using 1936 population, because that's what the area was built for at the time.
Present day population: 10.4 million

So, about 44% of development postwar, 6% pre-1800. Notice the city proper population has declined (most of it postwar). Cities were more crowded then, and for Paris, working-class families got replaced by well off childless adults, so my guess is the population numbers underestimate how much was built up.

And Paris is one of the older large European cities. Many other, more industrial cities were tiny or didn't exist in the early 1800s. Philadelphia was the second biggest city in the British Empire at the time of the revolution! Manchester followed Boston's population history in the 19th century. Hasn't grown at all in the last 100 years, for similar Pittsburgh hasn't grown in the last few decades (though the city declined and the suburbs grew so new development was required). The parts of London I'm most familiar with date to the first half of the 20th century.

For Amsterdam, the old 17-18th century center area by the canals doesn't reflect where most live, probably 15-20% at most.

Last edited by nei; 12-07-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 02:41 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
[I would like to exclude logging in this thread such as the rainforest and the forests of asia since they tear that down for logging purposes]

Why does the US tear down acres and acres of land just to rebuild acres and acres of sprawling strip malls and suburbs? Is this only a US thing? I have never been to Asia but in Europe this phenomena is not the case. Why does this happen here, it upsets me as I would rather look at a nice natural landscape than acres of Subways and Applebees.

Thanks
For the same reason they di it to creat the urban areas like Maimi. Alos why the decided to put people i such placea as new oralens and then detroy the marsh aroud it to support eh city or fill in bays in mnay palces with garbage and sewage. Poeple like what they like.otehrwise we would not be poutting up all thspo sky scrpaers that block the sunlight or mass transposrt to concentrate pollution. One only has to go to china to see what massing people in a concentrated area does on a day you can see every far ;that is. But then it seems people are not satisfied when they can escape urban problems as with any such thing.Once where there were tress to see we now build sky scrapers that block the sunlight and pout concrte that that the air long into the night hours.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,807,159 times
Free enterprise, not government telling you how you are allowed to use your land. Let's not forget municipal incentives. A forest on the edge of the city limits doesn't bring in many tax dollars. Commercial property does. However, should the city be allowed to subsidize some of the development cost in the expectation of revenue?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
for similar Pittsburgh hasn't grown in the last few decades (though the city declined and the suburbs grew so new development was required).
The entire Pittsburgh metro has lost population every year but three from 1970 to 2010. 1991, 92, and 93 had VERY small increases.
Pittsburgh, PA MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Some individual suburbs MAY have grown, but more shrunk. The steel industry started faltering, then crashed in the early 80s. Young adults left in droves, leaving the old folks behind.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,632,595 times
Developers are our centuries Red Death or Black Plague.
Strip Malls are an A to Z compendium of everything we do wrong politically and infrastructurally as a country. Long after the anchor store of the latest JUNK*MART / stripmall is gone, the gift that keeps giving -- the zoning change -- keeps giving.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Free enterprise, not government telling you how you are allowed to use your land. Let's not forget municipal incentives. A forest on the edge of the city limits doesn't bring in many tax dollars. Commercial property does. However, should the city be allowed to subsidize some of the development cost in the expectation of revenue?
There are higher moral obligations than profit. We are only temporary, land is forever. Passing it on the way we got it is a moral obligation. That we wreck it for quick and cheap financial gain is one of the USA's more reprehensible (un)qualities.
"Free Enterprise" is not free. Ive been to enough zoning hearings to know the developers of these abominations always work out (i.e. "buy") as much free stuff as they can during the planning and vote stages of the assault. Free for them, not so for the taxpayers left with the ensuing mess.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,733,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
There are higher moral obligations than profit. We are only temporary, land is forever. Passing it on the way we got it is a moral obligation. That we wreck it for quick and cheap financial gain is one of the USA's more reprehensible (un)qualities.
"Free Enterprise" is not free. Ive been to enough zoning hearings to know the developers of these abominations always work out (i.e. "buy") as much free stuff as they can during the planning and vote stages of the assault. Free for them, not so for the taxpayers left with the ensuing mess.
There are so many opportunities in the US for an environmentally responsible redevelopment renaissance. It would fit in perfectly with our goal of becoming energy independent and reducing our reliance on petroleum.

Renovating buildings to take advantage of existing energy-saving design and products coupled with a new smart grid supported by alternative energy sources, as well as thoughtful enterprise zones connected to 21st-Century transit systems, would go a long way toward preserving our natural resources and improving our quality of life.

Many of these opportunities, if tied to a national domestic goal, could be the catalyst for economic growth that could reverse our stagnant/declining standard of living.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Developers are our centuries Red Death or Black Plague.
Strip Malls are an A to Z compendium of everything we do wrong politically and infrastructurally as a country. Long after the anchor store of the latest JUNK*MART / stripmall is gone, the gift that keeps giving -- the zoning change -- keeps giving.
Oh, for G*d's sake! It's hard to have a rational discussion when people post stuff like that!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for G*d's sake! It's hard to have a rational discussion when people post stuff like that!
And conversely, I would say it's impossible to have a discussion on urban planning with those who dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning