U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,018,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Taiwan is a cool place to see. Also take a look in Wales. They have driven on little bike path roads with sheeps standing right next to them.
I was in a car in Wales and sheep blocked our way, just standing in the middle of the road. I got out scared a few off the road. The rest followed them off the road like sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:33 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,950 times
Venice has recently been added.
http://goo.gl/maps/MzFeM

Old 12-18-2013, 12:52 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,689,177 times
Not Google, but a similar service is available for the biggest Indian cities:
Explore Mumbai | Places to visit in Mumbai | WoNoBo.com
Explore Bangalore | Places to visit in Bangalore | WoNoBo.com
Explore Kolkata | Places to visit in Kolkata | WoNoBo.com
Explore Jaipur | Places to visit in Jaipur | WoNoBo.com

Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,041 times
It's amazing how quickly these streetviews are loading on my tablet. It loads instantly and defaults to fullscreen which is also nice. Takes milliseconds. Panning around is also instant and you just do it with your fingers (or tablet pen). On my PC the streetview take forever to load and forces you to press another button to see the fullscreen view. Then you have to wait for it to redraw the screen. Ugh. Also very cool to use the built-in GPS in when you're traveling in these places so you don't get lost. The Walk Mode is great in these urban environments.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 PM

8,133 posts, read 6,689,177 times
Just noticed after reading this post that the coverage of Siberia has been expanded. At least I think so:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=tobols...189.67,,0,4.58
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=tobols...44.01,,0,12.92
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=tobols...,227.4,,0,6.79

Old 11-29-2015, 02:55 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,764,950 times
Many more places have been added since I last checked, including much of Ecuador, Serbia, Turkey, Argentina, Malaysia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh and Cambodia.

Istanbul is one city I've been looking forward to checking out. Reason being that there are hardly any cities that have that kind of fine grained density and yet relatively developed. Cities in India and Bangladesh have comparable densities but are much more "third world" like, Istanbul is tidier and less poor. African cities (sub-Saharan) are less dense, probably because most are too poor, shanties would collapse if you tried to build them 5 stories tall and anyways it would be a disaster without proper infrastructure (ex sanitation). Chinese cities can be quite dense too, but tend to have cookie cutter mega block apartment developments, wide roads and setbacks. Latin American cities are less dense, and Europe tends to have larger portions of their cities that are more semi-suburban, either "commie blocks in the park", row houses, or SFHs, even though the build form is similar to Istanbul within the core. Spanish and Greek cities are the closest, but even those seem to have more semi-suburban neighbourhoods, plus they're much smaller.

All in all there are many things to like from an urbanism point of view. There's vibrancy with lots of little shops, but it's tidy, clean and with little graffiti (unlike many southern European cities...). Many streets and sidewalks are paved with stone or brick as opposed to asphalt and concrete (unlike most of North America...).
https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.04994...8i6656!6m1!1e1
^Also note there's very few garages at the street level, which can be a problem in European neighbourhoods. Ex a Barcelona suburb, seems like some of these "garages" are for car or other storage but others are just the style of door that's brought down over shop entrances when they close up at night, either way, not very attractive:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.37202...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Most of Istanbul appears to have been built during the post-war era. In many cities buildings from that era fit into one of these categories:
-dull grey or beige modernist boxes
-tacky stucco/vinyl/brick buildings
-sterile glass curtain wall buildings

Istanbul is mostly modernist boxes, but while some are dull grey/beige, many have been painted in cheery patterns or even covered in mosaics:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.03891...7i13312!8i6656

Simple but effective and attractively designed parks:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.02136...7i13312!8i6656
Toronto could learn a thing or two... We have a lot of boring parks that are just grass and a scattering of trees, but are lacking in simple details like nice walkways, abundant seating, proper framing, focal points and enclosure. Toronto and probably several other cities also need to learn that if you want grass in a small busy park, you should have abundant walkways and then a wall or fence surrounding the grass otherwise it will get trampled and ruined. A wall/fence will still allow people to sit on the grass to eat or read or lay down and look at the sky but that's fine as long as you don't have tons of people walking across it. And then you have some new parks in Toronto that try very hard to be "sophisticated" and "innovative" instead of sticking to the simple tested and proven design principles and wind up being little more than the place where you take your dog to do its business...
Like wtf is this.....
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66752...7i13312!8i6656

Istanbul could use more public space though. The parks that exist are mostly pretty nice, but there are many neighbourhoods where parks and squares are scarce. Pedestrian streets are rare in many parts of the city too, and many streets could do with wider sidewalks, street trees, many even shared space. Doing so would require taking space away from cars and providing better alternatives to driving. Fortunately while Istanbul's rapid transit network is not that expansive, it does have the densities to support continued expansion and does indeed seem to be expanding it at a good clip.

Still looking forward to Vietnam, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and China. India and Pakistan would be interesting too but I'm assuming it's relatively similar to Bangladesh. Africa too, just to see what it's like, because I'm reluctant to travel there and it doesn't get much media coverage.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:00 AM

501 posts, read 1,045,645 times
I do appreciate how often streetview is getting updated in the USA, especially for us city planners.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:39 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,889,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I do appreciate how often streetview is getting updated in the USA, especially for us city planners.
That is good. Now if they could just up date the rural areas, most of which havenít been updated since 2008 when they were originally covered. Those seven year old low-resolution images are getting stale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or