U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,761,847 times

Advertisements

In case you didn't already know, I think streetview is a great way to explore places you've never been to, or revisit places you have been to. They've already added streetview coverage to a number of Asian cities like Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul and Hong Kong, many European cities including those of Spain, France, Germany, England, Russia, Italy, he Czech Republic and Scandinavia. Mexico and Brasil, as well as South Africa are on streetview too.

It looks like they're recently added all of Croatia, as well as parts of Romania and Poland.

You can now check out Krakow's main square: Athens, Kentrikos Tomeas Athinon, Greece - Google Maps

Or Warsaw's walled city: Athens, Kentrikos Tomeas Athinon, Greece - Google Maps

As well as parts of many of the neat little towns in Dalmatia I've been to as a teenager. Looks like the streetview cameras came mostly in the winter though, since there are very few tourists.

Dubrovnik, many of the pedestrian streets in the walled city are covered: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Split, even more pedestrian streets are covered, this was basically the resort of a Roman emperor at home point: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Trogir, its pedestrian streets are also pretty well covered, here's a cool little restaurant courtyard, I ate in a few like this in other towns in Croatia: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Sibenik: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Korcula: Korčula, Croatia - Google Maps
Vela Luka: Korčula, Croatia - Google Maps
Hvar: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
View over islands near Hvar: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Stari Grad: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Vrboska: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Jelsa: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Makarska: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Omis Market: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Skradin: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps

Some more rural areas

The tunnel of darkness: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Zavala: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Dalmatian country road, nice view but don't enjoy it too much or you'll roll down the mountain: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Hands on the wheel, eyes on the road Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Ate at a restaurant in this village, it had a really nice view, the food was good too. This is the road that connects Zavala to the rest of the island through that dark tunnel: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
The Great Wall of Ston: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Omis gorge, there's some riverboat tours along the Cetina river: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Krka gorge: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Near Zadar: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 11:16 PM

A few places in Canada have been updated as well.

The pedestrian streets of Quebec's Lower Town: Hvar, Croatia - Google Maps

An update on the Regent Park Redevelopment: Regent Park, Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Calgary's pedestrian mall: Stephen Avenue, Calgary - Google Maps

Vancouver's Olympic Village (updated): Olympic Village Station Southbound, Vancouver, BC - Google Maps

Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,665,093 times
Oh cool. Looks i'm takin another free vacation

If they just had sound connections then it would be great. I wonder if this could rival the travel industry one day?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,273,264 times
I'm not so sure about that.^^ Ive always loved the street view, but its just not the same as reality.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 PM

770 posts, read 735,320 times
Botswana is on the street view now. Looks nicer than most of eastern europe TBH.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,119,280 times
While on the subject. I cannot understand why the back streets of the neighborhoods in Hatboro Pa. a middle ring suburb of Philadelphia are not yet covered. Therefore I cannot not view my childhood home and neighborhood on Streetview. What is up with that and are there any future plans by google to get those areas covered?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,787,675 times
I love street view, wish they had the whole world.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,034,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
While on the subject. I cannot understand why the back streets of the neighborhoods in Hatboro Pa. a middle ring suburb of Philadelphia are not yet covered. Therefore I cannot not view my childhood home and neighborhood on Streetview. What is up with that and are there any future plans by google to get those areas covered?
Actually, a good majority of the US is still in low-res outdated images. Google says they'll go back and update them eventually...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Looks like google even took their camera snowmobiling among the mountains of Svalbard.

Svalbard and Jan Mayen - Google Maps

Old 01-10-2013, 11:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
found this mural at random:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lyon,...3.03,,0,-24.98

Rio is a fun city to explore on streetview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or