U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM

6,511 posts, read 9,047,067 times

Advertisements

I started another thread similar to this one, except it focused on the blight of Meridian and its dilapidated buildings.
That thread can be found here:

Distressed Photo Album of Meridian Mississippi

I told people on that thread I was planning an opposite thread to highlight Meridian's nicer sides, more artistic buildings, and the strides its made in recent years. I hope you enjoy the photo album as much as I enjoyed taking the picture, roughly 80% of the pictures I took using my digital camera or cellphone. All comments and discussion is appreciated!

Above are pictures of Meridian's main post office, also the distribution center for Lauderdale county.

The Presbyterian Church in Meridian.

Meridian's newly finished City Hall.

Union Station in Meridian.

The Three Foot building, Meridian's oldest and tallest Sky Scraper.

Pictures of the Meridian skyline and some buildings located in downtown.

The city courthouse.

First State Bank in downtown Meridian.

Rush Hospital.

Union Hotel in downtown Meridian by nightfall.

The Riley Center, Meridian's oldest theater house.

A parking garage in downtown Meridian.

Skyline of Meridian by night.

The Dough Boy statue in downtown Meridian.

The Temple Theater also located in downtown Meridian.

Some of the larger hotels in Meridian, located directly off the I-20 interstate.

A couple of shops and apartments in downtown Meridian.

Assorted shopping and restaurants in Meridian, this is by far not all the stores and restaurants that are available.

Assorted houses in the Meridian area.

Random pictures around Meridian.

Just showcasing Meridian's stronger and better sights, trying to improve the reputation of this town. All comments appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
I took the train to NO and found the rolling farmland NE of Meridian beautiful with an unexpected sense of tranquility and harmony. That's the great thing about trains - you see the "back door" and undeveloped areas.

Of course the view of the town itself was limited but I recall downtown being attractive, as your photos show.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,705,729 times
I do trash talk the south alot, but ill admit its a pretty place.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
That Chic-Fil-a photo made me instantly hungry. They have the best waffle fries and lemonade. And their customer service is fantastic.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Theh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That Chic-Fil-a photo made me instantly hungry. They have the best waffle fries and lemonade. And their customer service is fantastic.
I hear that! They are my preferred fast food, and tbeir customer service is unparalleled in terms of friendliness and efficiency, their drive thru mkves through very quickly.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:53 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Chic-fil-a's refreshing iced tea, crispy waffle fries, and cheery, efficient customer service are almost as exceptional as its monetary support for rather disturbing causes. Mmm- deliciuos bigotry!

Nice photos of Meridian though.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Chic-fil-a's refreshing iced tea, crispy waffle fries, and cheery, efficient customer service are almost as exceptional as its monetary support for rather disturbing causes. Mmm- deliciuos bigotry!

Nice photos of Meridian though.
Agreed. As much as I don't like where their dontations go, there's no resisisting they have good food and great service.

And thanks! I wish there were more threads like this on other cities, pictures do a lot to help or harm a city's reputation.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Agreed. As much as I don't like where their dontations go, there's no resisisting they have good food and great service.

And thanks! I wish there were more threads like this on other cities, pictures do a lot to help or harm a city's reputation.
You can see a nice variety of photos from my city in a sticky on the Baltimore page.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You can see a nice variety of photos from my city in a sticky on the Baltimore page.
Will check them out!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Check out the Oakland Pics in the SF-O forum:
Oakland pics.

ridiculously comprehensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning