U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,888,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I think I know the mall you're talking about:

Google Maps.

The satellite and Earth views show that the mall is definitely a bit out in the country. I've been known to describe that area as "semi-rural." There are two fairly large towns and a number of little villages in the vicinity. This stretch of road runs between the two large towns. There is a strip of widely spaced chain restaurants and small malls, with the rest of the road between these two towns passing mostly farms and some scattered woods.
Yeah that would be development in the rural fringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: Work in NYC - Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,304 posts, read 2,194,995 times
Outlet Mall is usually built in a more rural area on purpose - I read it somewhere. So that when people took a 45 minutes trip there would feel it is such a waste if they don't get anything to buy.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,724,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yeah that would be development in the rural fringe.
Pretty much. That stretch of road is technically within the metropolitan area of Springfield, MA. It's pretty clear that this is true only because that county is part of the Springfield metro, as that locality lies north of S'field's true commuter suburbs. Still, it's close to the outer fringe of Springfield's suburbs, and so, within reach of a mid-sized metro area, or at least a larger small metro.

That mall is on the small side, and the local vicinity has two fairly good-sized towns as well as a number of smaller towns and little villages scattered among the farm country, so even though there is clearly some rural character, all those population centers scattered around the rural countryside apparently add up to enough population to support a mall that's not especially large. Something that also makes a significant contribution to the market for that commercial strip where the mall is located is that there are several colleges nearby, including UMass, which has something like 25k students.

It's farm country around there, but it's nothing like, say, eastern Montana, where a town of a couple of thousand, if that, might be the only significant population center among many miles of several-thousand-acre ranches.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM

8 posts, read 14,505 times
In northeastern PA there are three along a pretty rural 15-mile stretch of Route 61 in Schuylkill County - Schuylkill Mall, Fairlane Village Mall, and Cressona Mall. Not surprisingly, they apparently aren't doing that well right now.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
No malls usually require a catchment area of, if you're talking a large enclosed mall, at least 100,000 I would say.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 PM

I always imagined outlet malls being in smaller populated suburban areas with a tourist draw. And enclosed malls being in larger populated suburban areas.

I think of cities with malls more suburban than cities without malls.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,503,405 times
In Pennsylvania, Columbia Mall, at the Buckhorn (Bloomsburg) exit of I-80 and Schuylkill Mall, at the Frackville exit of I-81 are two that come immediately to mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 AM

12,291 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Rule of thumb I heard is a minimum of 250K population within 15 minutes drive is required to support a regional mall. That rules out most rural areas. Perhaps outlet malls can draw from a wider area.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Rule of thumb I heard is a minimum of 250K population within 15 minutes drive is required to support a regional mall. That rules out most rural areas. Perhaps outlet malls can draw from a wider area.
No it's usually 150,000 population which usually draws from whole counties.

Outlet malls count on at least 50,000 population and a strong tourist population.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian430 View Post
In northeastern PA there are three along a pretty rural 15-mile stretch of Route 61 in Schuylkill County - Schuylkill Mall, Fairlane Village Mall, and Cressona Mall. Not surprisingly, they apparently aren't doing that well right now.
Wow, you are right. Those malls are in more rural settings. Shows that malls don't survive in those type of settings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning