Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,474 times

Advertisements

There is the Mall at Barnes Crossing in Tupelo MS that is in a pretty rural area. but it does serve a population of over 140k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 04:51 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I know I have heard of Wal-Mart Supercenters being built on outskirts of town. I have never heard of malls built in rural areas. I think of the traditional sense that malls are in suburban neighborhoods or alone freeways in commercial districts.

I think of the mall as one symbol of suburbia. But I know malls are in urban areas as well. Are they in rural areas too?
I don't know what you consider "rural areas", but in 'rural' Kansas (outside and far from major metro areas), small towns with just 20,000 people have malls.

Small towns with as few as several thousand have Walmart Supercenters.

A lot of the smaller towns that don't have malls have (or had) a JCPenney, Sears, Radio Shack, local department stores, sporting goods stores, etc. on their Main streets or Squares.

Small towns were very neat places in the past, some still are. Getting a mall, however, almost always destroyed a town's downtown because all the stores would leave for the new mall.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Morgantown Outlet Mall was built in the late 1980s, I think. It was in a very rural area, between amish farmland and woodland. Its gotten somewhat more built up since then with some new housing and a new shopping center in Exton nearby.
It went under as the outlet business spread to other areas and the local monopoly on it waned. Then it went to being a furniture outlet and then finally it closed again. Dead Malls is a fascinating website.
Schuylkill County Mall is on a mountain top and is just about dead. There is nothing sadder or creepier than walking around a dead or dying mall with closed up store fronts and empty anchor stores. Small malls are kind of sad too.
I've been to many malls having gotten the Mall rat gene from my dads side of the family. May uncle had color slides of the Berkshire Mall from when it first opened back in the early 1970s. And I can remember the old King Of Prussia Mall way back before they enclosed it and made it 4 times as big. And then there was Plymouth Meeting mall, cool for having two levels.
Those places had awesome Christmas decorations and villages back then.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't know what you consider "rural areas", but in 'rural' Kansas (outside and far from major metro areas), small towns with just 20,000 people have malls.

Small towns with as few as several thousand have Walmart Supercenters.

A lot of the smaller towns that don't have malls have (or had) a JCPenney, Sears, Radio Shack, local department stores, sporting goods stores, etc. on their Main streets or Squares.

Small towns were very neat places in the past, some still are. Getting a mall, however, almost always destroyed a town's downtown because all the stores would leave for the new mall.
I don't consider under 20,000 rural. I used to. But those type of areas are often suburban, exurban, or anchored by some area that is technically, incorporated. A truly rural area is like, one stop light, or areas so small you have to bus to a school an hour away. Definitions may vary, but when you speak of malls, are we talking about strip malls or indoor malls?

I've noticed that towns that small do often have a Penneys, or Sears, or some other freestanding department store. That was the norm before the era of shopping malls. Those stores were around before shopping malls, and will continue to be around long after those shopping malls have passed away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning