U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times

Advertisements

I don't like charter schools and that's putting it mildly. The charter school law in my state and most others authorized charter schools to try new teaching methods and to reach out to kids who weren't doing well in the regular school system. Instead, they've become private schools for upper-middle class students at public school prices, e.g. free at the point of service. Charter schools admit by lottery, but somehow these savvy parents figure out how to "game" the lottery system, and get their kids in. I think more effort should be put into improving all the schools. In addition, many charters fail after a few years, leaving these kids SOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,104,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't like charter schools and that's putting it mildly. The charter school law in my state and most others authorized charter schools to try new teaching methods and to reach out to kids who weren't doing well in the regular school system. Instead, they've become private schools for upper-middle class students at public school prices, e.g. free at the point of service. Charter schools admit by lottery, but somehow these savvy parents figure out how to "game" the lottery system, and get their kids in. I think more effort should be put into improving all the schools. In addition, many charters fail after a few years, leaving these kids SOL.
I get that sentiment, but we have a high rate of success with charters here. Parents don't mind as much paying twice the property tax as the suburbs if they think they are getting premium schooling. In a city with as much poverty and broken families as we have, it makes no sense for a smart kid to be in a class with 30 angry kids whose parents don't care. I have worked with charters, the kids are from backgrounds as diverse as the city and thrive when surrounded by students whose parents also care. It's something wealthy districts take for granted.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,542,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Alright, we agree on this! What I find disheartening is that charter schools' academic record overall is worse than public schools, but they keep getting lauded. And charter schools have the ability to expel disruptive kids, while the regular public school system has to accommodate them somehow.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,986,557 times
Quote:
That is a generalization that is not true of all city neighborhoods. Depends upon the neighborhoods.
Hah..yes indeed! I was thinking of my childhood in Chicago, where I had a playground within walking distance, and we had a small backyard to play in as well. We also could walk to & from school (and home and back for lunch).

What I remember was 40 years ago or more, but heck yeah city living is ok for kids. Even in modern times I see young families living in Chicago.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,642,257 times
It'll be tough. I truly hate hate hate driving and all the associated bull$hit that goes with it. There is just so much more freedom without a car, and while some of the limitations are a pain, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Driving....*shudder*

Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,589,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
There is just so much more freedom without a car

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,642,257 times
Financial and stress-related freedom.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Financial and stress-related freedom.
Freedom is probably a poor word choice non the less.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:19 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
Quote:
It'll be tough. I truly hate hate hate driving and all the associated bull$hit that goes with it. There is just so much more freedom without a car, and while some of the limitations are a pain, the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

Driving....*shudder*
I find it interesting to hear people say this. But I am glad there are others out there besides me. I am going to be 67 years old soon. When I was in my late teens I tried to learn to drive. I hated it. I tried again in my mid twenties. I never felt so stressed and frightened in my life. I just decided it was not for me and never owned or drove a car. Fortunately I lived in Chicago where everything was either walking distance or I could take the excellent public transportation system that city had to offer. Later on when I moved to Portland OR, I was able to live near what was then a very good bus service.

It was funny, when I moved to Portland in my mid 30's and told people I didn't drive people thought I must have some sort of physical disability. It was truly a car culture. But I was firmly entrenched in not ever having to ever to drive. I believed and I still do that there are many people on the road who shouldn't be and I was certainly one of them. I would have been an awful driver.

It's a different way of life if you are used to owning a car and give it up because you can always rent one and just drive on occasion. But if you give up driving completely or have never driven at all, it's a really different way of living. For me, as for you, the pros have always outweighed the cons. It's not for everyone but I have never wanted to live any other way.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM

There are two types of people without cars; one type who mind their own business and get around on their own, and then the other type who is always asking for rides and relying on others to cart them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or