U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Ah, wouldn't we ALL be living car-free, if cars ceased to exist???
Yes, and it wouldn't be the same, by a longshot! People would stay home more, travel less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did public transportation exist to the Colorado ski slopes before cars became popular? Nothing more than exists now, I can assure you. Most small towns and rural areas NEVER had any PT. Some may have it now b/c it's part of a metro transit agency.
Didn't Winter Park's first skiers arrive by train? Didn't the railroad arrive first to most of those mining towns in the Rockies?

It's rather irrelevant anyway. You are trying to make some sort of a affirmative link between being carless and relying on the charity of others. It's incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Didn't Winter Park's first skiers arrive by train? Didn't the railroad arrive first to most of those mining towns in the Rockies?

It's rather irrelevant anyway. You are trying to make some sort of a affirmative link between being carless and relying on the charity of others. It's incorrect.
Yes, there has long been a Winter Park train b/c until fairly recently, WP was a City of Denver park. I took the train up there once with some friends. It (train) was discontinued a few years back, but I think there are plans to revive it. There is a bus from downtown Boulder to Eldora ski area, b/c Eldora is in the RTD.

My daughter had a car in college, on a campus that actively discouraged cars. She was able to have one b/c she lived more than 200 miles from campus. Anyway, people were constantly asking her both for rides and to borrow the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My daughter had a car in college, on a campus that actively discouraged cars. She was able to have one b/c she lived more than 200 miles from campus. Anyway, people were constantly asking her both for rides and to borrow the car.
Fantastic. I'm sure she accrued lots of good karma for helping out the bumming, mooching, bummy moocher bums.

I am moving on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Fantastic. I'm sure she accrued lots of good karma for helping out the bumming, mooching, bummy moocher bums.

I am moving on.
Actually, she didn't lend out the car to anyone. There was an insurance problem and there would have been hell to pay if someone had had an accident driving it. I'm sorry I mentioned her. People on this board always bash other people's kids, y'know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 08:24 PM
 
7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
Reputation: 8960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, she didn't lend out the car to anyone. There was an insurance problem and there would have been hell to pay if someone had had an accident driving it. I'm sorry I mentioned her. People on this board always bash other people's kids, y'know?
People do have a tendency to forget about "unregistered drivers" who borrow someone's car. Most of the time, nothing happens, but accidents can be very messy, medically and financially, if the driver isn't from the owner's family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Reputation: 14805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I never said anything about you! If you didn't bring it up, and keep bringing it up, I wouldn't even know you at one time didn't have a car. At one point, neither did I. It is pretty clear that part of living w/o a car involves using a car at times.
I keep bringing it up because you are trying to portray non-car owners at the very least dependent on others, at the worst, moochers. As someone who didn't own a car for a while, it does seem about me and it does seem rather insulting.

Sure, once in a while non-car owners might want a car. Rental is a possibility. I don't think anyone suggested that non-car owners would never want a car, though some might be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did public transportation exist to the Colorado ski slopes before cars became popular? Nothing more than exists now, I can assure you. Most small towns and rural areas NEVER had any PT. Some may have it now b/c it's part of a metro transit agency.
most towns, maybe not very small ones, in New England and NY state had rail. For New England, yes there was a network of transit to ski slopes, or at least mountain areas. The network was rather extensive, I could make a long list of places that longer have long-distance public transit. I didn't say it public transit would cover everything if cars didn't exist, just much more. Commonly, there was also local transit in urbanized/suburban areas. For rural areas, yes, there was very little public transit, but I didn't really have them in mind as it's an "urban planning" forum.

Not just where transit was, but where locations were. Living without a car here would be conveninet if jobs, businesses were in the centers of old towns. Almost everything outside of them is relatively recent. And very few people I'd visit would be locations away from transit.

Most metro transit agencies took over previously existing private agencies, rarely was new transit added.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Speaking only for myself, I'm criticizing people who don't own cars, talk about how they don't own a car, say they don't need a car ... and then proceed to beg rides and borrow cars from those who do own cars.

You don't see the hypocrisy in that?
Yes that's hypocrisy. The issue is generalizing that all or even most non car-owners. It seemed like you were criticizing people who don't own cars in general. I was with a group of people who were just surprised to around someone with a car (me). They had been around non car-owners for so long they were unused to the idea of using one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My daughter had a car in college, on a campus that actively discouraged cars. She was able to have one b/c she lived more than 200 miles from campus. Anyway, people were constantly asking her both for rides and to borrow the car.
I didn't ask for rides, I was rather proud of myself for not needing to get around by car. I've lent my car once, I can't remember the situation, but it's not something I'm comfortable doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:37 PM
 
3,463 posts, read 4,541,674 times
Reputation: 7127
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I keep bringing it up because you are trying to portray non-car owners at the very least dependent on others, at the worst, moochers. As someone who didn't own a car for a while, it does seem about me and it does seem rather insulting.

Sure, once in a while non-car owners might want a car. Rental is a possibility. I don't think anyone suggested that non-car owners would never want a car, though some might be close.


I rent a car for interstate, and have an old untagged car I use for tornado and sleet days to get to work.
I put 25 miles on it last year. It's gotten to the point with me, that I really, truly have a phobia about being in them. I have no problem walking or riding a bike in the rain or sub-zero temps, but to ride or drive in a car in traffic is very unpleasant. I guess the same way a car person would feel about purposely setting out in the rain.
I grew up right outside of Philly and started a family with no car. Back then, a lot of people didnt even think about it.
It all changed with the 2nd wave/crush of development that assaulted the USA in the late 80's and early 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
most towns, maybe not very small ones, in New England and NY state had rail. For New England, yes there was a network of transit to ski slopes, or at least mountain areas. The network was rather extensive, I could make a long list of places that longer have long-distance public transit. I didn't say it public transit would cover everything if cars didn't exist, just much more. Commonly, there was also local transit in urbanized/suburban areas. For rural areas, yes, there was very little public transit, but I didn't really have them in mind as it's an "urban planning" forum.

Not just where transit was, but where locations were. Living without a car here would be conveninet if jobs, businesses were in the centers of old towns. Almost everything outside of them is relatively recent. And very few people I'd visit would be locations away from transit.

Most metro transit agencies took over previously existing private agencies, rarely was new transit added.
Maybe in New England. That's not the case everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
4,896 posts, read 7,657,858 times
Reputation: 4508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe in New England. That's not the case everywhere.
I'd say it was also probably true in the midwest, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top