U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 873,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well the real problem is going to be when countries like China and India develop a middle class at the same proportions we had in the 60s-80s, and they all start demanding cars.
This is happening already.
First on the east coast, and now spreading across the country towards the west of china

The same point was also made here - in to this old article:
Warren Buffett versus the Soccer Moms | Peak Prosperity

EXCERPT:
"The US has 76 times as many cars per capita as China. But new car sales in China are expected to be 29,000 cars per day in 2009, which surpasses the US by about 10%. India, too is showing a big increase in car sales; up 5% to an expected 3,300 cars per day. Once they have a car, the new drivers will need fuel for it, and oil consumption in emerging countries will grow, whatever happens in the US. In a Post-Peak oil world, we cannot afford even one oil consumer on America's scale, let alone two or three."

Last edited by Geologic; 02-19-2013 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM

14,072 posts, read 16,094,154 times
Not sure what freight rail has to do with the private automobile, not sure at all.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
NYC is a different story. It's fine for 6-8 months of the year, but during the winter it's misery. The trains are ok, but waiting out on the frozen elevated platforms or having to hike through the ice and snow once you get out of the subway is awful. I see why everybody's so uptight there. I'd be angry a lot of the time if I had to wear arctic survival gear just to go out and buy a quart of milk too.
Seriously? New York City is cold in the winter but it's not that bad. A few days of waiting are nasty, but otherwise not really. A winter coat is arctic survival gear?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seriously? New York City is cold in the winter but it's not that bad. A few days of waiting are nasty, but otherwise not really. A winter coat is arctic survival gear?
I lived in Vermont for a few years and that was cold.
I did commute by bicycle as many days as I could, but the reality was, you needed a car in that remote of an
area. Negative zero temps brought a whole 'nother bunch of issues. Constantly greasing up door rubber, trickle charging batteries, block heaters for some people and shoveling your driveway a few times a night just to be able to get to the road in the morning to get to work. Standing on a nice warm subway platform in NYC would ahve been a more desirable option for me

Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,118,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I was car-free in Boston I much preferred the winter to the summer. I'll take discreetly sweating in a giant jacket over being obviously sweat-soaked in the summer.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
When I was car-free in Boston I much preferred the winter to the summer. I'll take discreetly sweating in a giant jacket over being obviously sweat-soaked in the summer.

I ride year round here in KY. The weather is weird, but we have more than a few 20 degree days.
I wear just a sweat shirt cuz by a mile, its nice and warm. In the summer, I wet a t-shirt and throw it in the freezer, after about 1/2 hour, I can get about 4 miles of coolness out of it

Old 02-19-2013, 06:10 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
seriously!

im currently posting from los angeles and though i love most of southern california, there is no way in hell i would ever be able to live here. traffic is horrendous, the amount of time you spend in the car is dumb. things are sooo spread out. i dont know what it is because in michigan it was the same (everything being spread out) but after i got used to nyc and i hadnt driven a car in like 5 months, after spending a few days here in LA.. oh boy, this straight up sucks.

i will gladly stay in nyc where my new commute is a 15 min walk to work!
that is what is great ;we are all different and sonethig for everyone. I presonally could never live such a limited lifestyle .

Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
that is what is great ;we are all different and sonethig for everyone. I presonally could never live such a limited lifestyle .
"Limited"?
In what way is life in NYC limited?
Within 15 minutes walking, he probably can do more than you can within 60 minutes driving.
NYC has a rich urban environment, full of life.

And it is possible to have discussions with people that go beyond "what the local sports team is up to."

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but urban living tends to make people more "culturally rich", and more interesting to spend time with. Hiking and fishing is great, but it is tough to have a 2-way conversation with a butterfly or a brown bear.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
"Limited"?
In what way is life in NYC limited?
Within 15 minutes walking, he probably can do more than you can within 60 minutes driving.
NYC has a rich urban environment, full of life.

And it is possible to have discussions with people that go beyond "what the local sports team is up to."

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but urban living tends to make people more "culturally rich", and more interesting to spend time with. Hiking and fishing is great, but it is tough to have a 2-way conversation with a butterfly or a brown bear.
Oh, it's been mentioned over and over. And yet what do most of you urbanists do in your spare time besides post on CD? When did you last attend any kind of cultural event?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, it's been mentioned over and over. And yet what do most of you urbanists do in your spare time besides post on CD? When did you last attend any kind of cultural event?
Last night (it is morning now, here in HK- plenty of time to post in the AM)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or