U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,160,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
seriously!

im currently posting from los angeles and though i love most of southern california, there is no way in hell i would ever be able to live here. traffic is horrendous, the amount of time you spend in the car is dumb. things are sooo spread out. i dont know what it is because in michigan it was the same (everything being spread out) but after i got used to nyc and i hadnt driven a car in like 5 months, after spending a few days here in LA.. oh boy, this straight up sucks.

i will gladly stay in nyc where my new commute is a 15 min walk to work!
Weird I don't have a problem getting around without a car in LA at all. Maybe you are in the wrong part of the city? Just as parts of NYC are very autocentric there are large parts of Los Angeles that are very transit-friendly and car-optional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,433,343 times
I lived in LA for nearly a decade and you are right, it would have been more problematic without a car. I would find apartments within a 15 minute drive from my workplace, as I don't really like car commuting, so commutes were pretty easy. Also, it would have been a major problem going into the mountains every Saturday morning without a car and then meeting my friends in the late afternoon by the beach, but that would probably be more difficult to do in NYC even with a car.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM

5,288 posts, read 5,213,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Actually most New Yorkers DON'T need cars. The vast majority of New Yorkers live within 5 miles of work, and have at their fingertips the most complete transit system in the USA. Not to mention most neighborhoods in this city are highly walkable, offering everything you need nearby.
Quote:
The problem is not so much those that require a car to commute, it is those who don't. The city should make it significantly harder to own a car in those neighborhoods within one mile of a subway station. .
So I have a car and I have access to a train station. This means I should just give up my car? I'm not really sure how it's fair to make it harder for me to have a car. Trust me---I'm not trying to drive to the city (nightmare) and we have never driven to any of the jobs we have had.

Yes, we have a complete transit system. But when I visit my friend in Riverdale, it would take me over two hours to get there from where I am by mass transit as opposed to 30-40 minutes by car. My husband and I like the ability to do things outside of the city; perhaps on a whim we will drive 2-3 hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning to go hiking. Sometimes we drive up to Sullivan County for a weekend trip. I had a job interview completely outside of NYC. I am not doing any of these things outside of the city without a car.

I do agree that less people should be commuting by car but for some people, not everyone, it's necessary. We don't use our car to commute to and from work. In fact, I usually walk most of the time, which I don't even like doing because it's kind of a sketchy place and I walk to and from there when it's completely dark out. (I work nights.)

Old 12-21-2012, 03:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,311,856 times
Life without a car it too limiting for my tastes. New Yorkers are SO provincial!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM

7,725 posts, read 8,188,682 times
I sometimes wish I lived in an area that afforded not having a car. It kills me that it is a mile once I leave my front door before I even see a busy street and then the nearest grocery store is miles away and I live in a decent sized city. It is just so spread out. I would have no problem walking everywhere. It is just a loooooooooooong walk to anything around here.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,730,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
So I have a car and I have access to a train station. This means I should just give up my car? I'm not really sure how it's fair to make it harder for me to have a car. Trust me---I'm not trying to drive to the city (nightmare) and we have never driven to any of the jobs we have had.

Yes, we have a complete transit system. But when I visit my friend in Riverdale, it would take me over two hours to get there from where I am by mass transit as opposed to 30-40 minutes by car. My husband and I like the ability to do things outside of the city; perhaps on a whim we will drive 2-3 hours on a Saturday or Sunday morning to go hiking. Sometimes we drive up to Sullivan County for a weekend trip. I had a job interview completely outside of NYC. I am not doing any of these things outside of the city without a car.

I do agree that less people should be commuting by car but for some people, not everyone, it's necessary. We don't use our car to commute to and from work. In fact, I usually walk most of the time, which I don't even like doing because it's kind of a sketchy place and I walk to and from there when it's completely dark out. (I work nights.)
Zip car?

The city needs to further prioritize pedestrians and transit cars. Feel free to own own, but it shouldn't be easy if you live one mile from a subway station.

To the previous poster, for everything needed within walking distance, yes the vast majority of New Yorkers have that. There are few unwalkable areas in NYC. For anything else you can take the subway. If you want to leave the city, zip car

It's for the good of the vast majority of NYkers and visitors.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM

9,528 posts, read 14,912,524 times
Quote:
To the previous poster, for everything needed within walking distance, yes the vast majority of New Yorkers have that. There are few unwalkable areas in NYC. For anything else you can take the subway. If you want to leave the city, zip car
ROTFL. Get out of Manhattan and the trendy areas of Brooklyn. There are plenty of areas in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx (not to mention Staten Island) which are poorly served by the subway.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,180,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

i will gladly stay in nyc where my new commute is a 15 min walk to work!
for obvious physical space reasons, most people in nyc are not able to be in 15 mins walking distance of work, some have decent commutes and some are stuck with really long commutes

Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,730,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
ROTFL. Get out of Manhattan and the trendy areas of Brooklyn. There are plenty of areas in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx (not to mention Staten Island) which are poorly served by the subway.
The Bronx and Brooklyn have excellent subway coverage throughout most of their geography. It's Eastern Queens and S.I. where there's problem.

BTW, I was referring to walkability.

Again, in my opinion there should be no parking minimums for new construction built within one mile of a subway station in the primary 3 outer boroughs. I also support congestion pricing.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,561,979 times
Cars are sort of a necessary evil in a society that has made them their religion, but if you make the effort to excommunicate yourself from he insanity, the rewards are great.
The decision to move to my current city to finally put some roots down and retire was based largely on not needing a car.
It is liberating. It changes the way you feel and look at everything. I would never ever live anywhere where I needed to be married to a car again. You don't realize how much of a profound effect so much negative time, money and energy spent has on your quality of life until you divest yourself of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or