U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM

1,367 posts, read 1,753,599 times

Advertisements

seriously!

im currently posting from los angeles and though i love most of southern california, there is no way in hell i would ever be able to live here. traffic is horrendous, the amount of time you spend in the car is dumb. things are sooo spread out. i dont know what it is because in michigan it was the same (everything being spread out) but after i got used to nyc and i hadnt driven a car in like 5 months, after spending a few days here in LA.. oh boy, this straight up sucks.

i will gladly stay in nyc where my new commute is a 15 min walk to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,720,616 times
I agree. The walkability of NYC is a major selling point. I much prefer having all my basic necessities within walking distance. Commuting to work via subway is great, I can unwind and listen to a podcast or read. I don't worry about parking, gas, traffic, or maintenance. I hate that feeling when you walk away from your car and you only wonder will in get ticketed, towed, will someone damage it. I like being able to carry conversation with others and enjoy the vibrancy (street performers, preachers, artist, ect). It's nice to see the neighborhoods evolve, it's amazing how much you miss when you drive. Bumping into friends, making new ones. Then there's window shopping

I love this city.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM

9,271 posts, read 9,220,181 times
Not to mention the money involved in a car, gas, parking, insurance. Not to mention all the time people spending talking about it. Luckily, when I'm in L.A., most of what I do is along one of a few bus routes, but otherwise it would be impossible.

And it's also correct that you probably lose something crucial when you spend your time armored in your car, instead of interacting in some way with the rest of the walking population. It might be good if everyone were forced to live in a carless town at some point early in their lives.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 PM

155 posts, read 225,762 times
Totally agree-except that I did leave, and am working my way back.

Last edited by palomalou; 12-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: omitted word

Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,603,720 times
Most americans are safely in a bubble at all times. If they really sat and thought about it, quite frankly they barely interact with anyone their entire lives. Urban living is the only way to LIVE in comparison.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,479,895 times
smh

Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,666,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
smh
At what?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 PM

A Data-Driven Case for Walkability

Quote:
About a year ago, NRDC Executive Director Peter Lehner asked me what one word, if I had to choose, would most closely describe a smart, sustainable community. Peter thought that the word might be density. But I chose walkability instead.
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/neigh...kability/1757/

Holiday Car Ads in the Era of Millennials Buying Fewer Cars

Quote:
It’s that time again – the season for fairy-tale car ads in which American families with glossy hair and dazzling teeth present each other with fancy automobiles as Christmas gifts. These impossibly prosperous and good-looking folks coo with delight at the luxury vehicles that show up in their driveways on Christmas morn, topped with enormous red ribbons and the faintest dusting of crystalline snow. You know the routine.
http://m.theatlanticcities.com/commu...wer-cars/3994/

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,479,895 times
Many New yorkers have cars too.
Some people actually need them.
Maybe you just don't know them.

All this walkability is nothing new
tho.

Last edited by 11KAP; 12-20-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Many New yorkers have cars too.
Some people actually need them.
Maybe you just don't know them.
Actually most New Yorkers DON'T need cars. The vast majority of New Yorkers live within 5 miles of work, and have at their fingertips the most complete transit system in the USA. Not to mention most neighborhoods in this city are highly walkable, offering everything you need nearby.

Cars do not work in NYC, they are the most inefficient means of travel in the vast majority of the city. Which is why car ownership is largely concentrated in places like Staten Island and Eastern Queens.

Cars create pollution and are expensive to subsidize. They require expensive infrastructure and very regular maintence. They lead to an anti-social/stagnant society. Wasted land use and kill street vibrancy. They are so 1950s. They are a dated form of transportation in urban communities.

New York Neighborhoods - Walk Score, Rentals, and Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
NYC Automobile Ownership Map (% Households without)

Color Range
Green 80-100%
Yellow 60-79%
Orange 40-59%
Red 20-39%
Purple 0-19%

Great resource.

Cap'n Transit Rides Again: Expanding the constituency for transit and livable streets

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 12-20-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or