U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,110,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll be able to buy one of those in 2014! Woo-hoo!

Unfortunately, I can't afford most of them ...
Look out for retired Napoleon/Stalin types on the HOA! My folks ("kids" compared to some of their neighbors) required handicapped accessiblity earlier than expected and bought in one of those 55+ places. Now they can't wait to get out from under the thumb of a few of these too-much-time-on-their-hands types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,510,305 times
Default Because

Because we're trying to be frugal, most of us have student loans that we want to get rid of as soon as possible, not to mention other every day bills. Walking is also healthy so if you can walk somewhere or grab a bus or train, why not? It's cheaper as well. I wish I was in an area where public transportation was abundant and operating 24/7, then I really would not need to buy a car, but where I'm at, every thing is so spread out, and public transportation does not go to certain areas, and it stops at certain hours, and the train doesn't run at all during the weekend.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM

32,401 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Look out for retired Napoleon/Stalin types on the HOA! My folks ("kids" compared to some of their neighbors) required handicapped accessiblity earlier than expected and bought in one of those 55+ places. Now they can't wait to get out from under the thumb of a few of these too-much-time-on-their-hands types.
Yeah, the likelihood that I'd buy in an HOA development is slim-to-none, unless it was a high rise or apartment-style condo, and there wouldn't be any way I could paint my shutters with pink polka dots anyway.

Because I'm just that type of person.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah, the likelihood that I'd buy in an HOA development is slim-to-none, unless it was a high rise or apartment-style condo, and there wouldn't be any way I could paint my shutters with pink polka dots anyway.

Because I'm just that type of person.
Good. I bought my mom a little birdfeeder once and she forbid me from putting it up until I sought the approval of the board. Oh well it's the thought that counts!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Because we're trying to be frugal, most of us have student loans that we want to get rid of as soon as possible, not to mention other every day bills. Walking is also healthy so if you can walk somewhere or grab a bus or train, why not? It's cheaper as well. I wish I was in an area where public transportation was abundant and operating 24/7, then I really would not need to buy a car, but where I'm at, every thing is so spread out, and public transportation does not go to certain areas, and it stops at certain hours, and the train doesn't run at all during the weekend.
Yep. True in most places, unfortunately.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times
I was looking for this one specific article from the Washington Post on gentrification (of which there are many) where this long-time resident is basically quoted saying:

"If they want families to live here, then start building places for families to live in. I can't raise a family in a damn studio apartment."

So maybe there wouldn't be an impression that cities are for the young if larger units were constructed?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
My niece had a similar problem in her condo community for everyone in Colorado Springs. She was on the board and there was another woman who had way too much time on her hands, complained about every little thing, took pictures of the high school kids (who went to school across the street) making out, having s** on the grounds, etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM

389 posts, read 400,917 times
This has turned into a senior citizen discussion lol. Around 50 and up is not exactly young. I think I read someone say young people move to cities just for nightlife, it's more than that. I don't know about everyonelse, but there is different energy in a city. Some like it some don't.

I remember when my parents and I first went to NYC, I was 16, I was like I wanna live in a place like this lol, they were surprised and said this isn't really a place to live, to expensive and more of a vacation destination.

Safety is a bit overexaggerated too when I talk about it with my parents, Im a safe person within reason, but safety alone, to me isn't worth being in such a secluded place. Plus it's not like you'll get shot or whatever walking down the street in "x" city. My mom feared me meeting bad women as well.

It's more than just bars, there really isn't anything like that where I'm from, so when I go to a city it's like an adrenaline rush, to see something so full of life.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM

3,082 posts, read 3,171,488 times
Better for me,less traffic

Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was looking for this one specific article from the Washington Post on gentrification (of which there are many) where this long-time resident is basically quoted saying:

"If they want families to live here, then start building places for families to live in. I can't raise a family in a damn studio apartment."

So maybe there wouldn't be an impression that cities are for the young if larger units were constructed?

There are lots of new buildings in DC with 2BR+den units. When I grew up I knew a middle class family of four who lived in a 2BR apt. And a family of 5 in a 3BR apt.

The new 2BR+den units are expensive - but not more expensive on a per sq ft basis than the studios, I think.

So thats just another variation on "the rent is too damn high".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or