U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,263,058 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit older (33), but I grew up like most my age in a car-centric town, where every 15 year old's dream was the day when he/she would get his/her drivers license. I was like that, too. In my early 20s I started taking jobs as a delivery driver. Because of that, I began to HATE driving. Now I still find some cars interesting and I even like them, but I love not owning a car. I enjoy saving the money, not having to deal with all the little things that owning a car involves, and the fact that it's pretty hard for me to become fat in my current car-less lifestyle. My town is still pretty car-centric in many areas, but thanks to a decent public transit system, plenty of pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, and the fact that I chose my apartment very carefully with car-free living in mind, it's easy to get by without one. For Christmas I've come back to visit family in my hometown, which is basically a car-centric nightmare, and it's completely miserable to me. Everywhere you turn there's a line of traffic that you have to wait for. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes just to drive down the street about a mile, get a sandwich, and come back. In Bellingham I could do the same thing on foot in less time. Hell, I probably could have done it here quicker on a bicycle, except my odds of being killed would be much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM

862 posts, read 1,222,777 times
Quote:
Why does the younger generation have an aversion to the automobile and car-centric cities?
I don't and never want to live in a "big city". I also don't care about stupid things like walkability or "diversity" or "great nightlife", etc. I'm 21 years old, love driving and NEVER want to give up my truck! My wife feels the same way.

Also, I think the OP has an agenda, everything he posts are about young people.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,630,906 times
Because they recognize two basic facts of life,

1. Car insurance rates are spiraling out of control, especially for young drivers under age 25, who typically pay over $1,000 a year for minimum mandatory liability, in addition to obligatory collision and comprehensive if the car is financed. A reliable and affordable car that will last at least two years can be bought for less than the cost of two years of insurance. Commuting to work by public transport costs less than the insurance alone.

2. You basically give up your constitutional rights when you sit in the drivers seat of a car, and Americans paid over $6-billion last year in traffic fines for speeding alone, probably ten billion for all traffic infractions. Young people are increasingly recognizing that the friendly policeman is now the enemy, and put as much space as possible between them.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,226,964 times
Cars and gas are expensive. Being able to commute by foot or bike is great exercise. Personally I've also always been scared of accidents and found driving to be a hassle. If I lived in a city with a subway that ran 24 hours I'd try to go exclusively public transportation.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,357,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Cars cost money.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
I don't like being bored, and I don't like traveling inconvenient distances to get to the places that aren't boring.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM

8,489 posts, read 10,534,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I can see this. You can easily drive to great nightlife in Phoenix but then you have to worry about a DUI afterwards or have a designated driver. In walkable neighborhoods that's not a necessity.

The premium you pay for rent in a hip, walkable neighborhood many times costs more than a cheap car payment.
Why are you comparing rent to car payments?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,438,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Who says the younger generation has an aversion to autocentric cities? Are there any studies supporting this?
DING, DING, DING, DING, DING! I'm also interested in reading those studies.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 PM

17,542 posts, read 21,415,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

2. You basically give up your constitutional rights when you sit in the drivers seat of a car, and Americans paid over $6-billion last year in traffic fines for speeding alone, probably ten billion for all traffic infractions. Young people are increasingly recognizing that the friendly policeman is now the enemy, and put as much space as possible between them.
The joys of driving and owning a car are getting less and less everyday, as cities become increasingly reliant on traffic fines to fund their operations, with higher and higher fines, and the younger generation all have brains and they know this.

When I started driving in 1966 there was no photo radar, and if there had been, I would have ditched the car! Or if I had stumbled across a site like Speedtrap.org! Sheesh! Where I live, a $500 fine if caught throwing a cigarette butt out the window!

I applaud this new generation for its sanity and helping to bring our cities back to cities built for people rather than cars!

Different values for this generation.

Last edited by tijlover; 12-23-2012 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Add words

Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM

17,542 posts, read 21,415,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Suburbs are for quieter living.
Until............................................. .....some rich middle class parents give their driving teenage son a car and some money to install a loud, thumping stereo system in it!

Then? Day or night, boom, boom, boom!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,874,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
DING, DING, DING, DING, DING! I'm also interested in reading those studies.
I doubt we'll see them. The OP frequently engages topics about how "all young Americans (insert hipster trend)", but I can't recall ever seeing him/her cite a source that affirms these phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or