U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM

28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess I am just puzzled as to why this has become a "young" issue.
From reading the OP, I did not sense that he thinks this is a "young" issue. Nor did I sense that he implied that all young people have an aversion to cars and car-centric cities. He was making a general point about the appeal of urban areas to younger people and, in my experience, the appeal is particularly strong with this demographic. This is not to say that cities are not attractive to any other demographic. That's not what he said, but I think you're attributing that position to the OP so you can stand on a soap box.

This is an internet forum, not an advanced graduate school course. There's no need to nuance very basic, general propositions to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
I don't see why walkable/transit-friendly areas would only be appealing to the younger generation. I feel really sorry for the people who reside in senior centers within car-centric cities and can only get out when relatives pick them up or the recreational shuttle takes them to the bingo hall or wherever. When I get old and can no longer drive I'd like to be somewhere I can still feel independent and comfortable walking or riding around in my wheelchair. It'd be interesting to see how many people would still love their car-centric cities if they were stripped of their driver's licenses.
LOL. When you're old, incontinent, blind, diabetic, arthiritic, and/or senile, I doubt walkability and transit-friendliness will be very high on your list of priorities. You'll be more concerned about not crapping on yourself and less concerned with tapas and wine bars.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,109,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
LOL. When you're old, incontinent, blind, diabetic, arthiritic, and/or senile, I doubt walkability and transit-friendliness will be very high on your list of priorities. You'll be more concerned about not crapping on yourself and less concerned with tapas and wine bars.
There are plenty of competent olds who live in senior centers (I live near one and am often at the bus stop with its residents). You might be thinking of nursing homes.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
There are plenty of competent olds who live in senior centers (I live near one and am often at the bus stop with its residents). You might be thinking of nursing homes.
I never said all old people were incompetent. But the body starts slowing down with old age, ya know? And at that point, the things you may have enjoyed as a 21-year old may not matter.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I never said all old people were incompetent. But the body starts slowing down with old age, ya know? And at that point, the things you may have enjoyed as a 21-year old may not matter.
Of course not. I guess you read the post differently then I did.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
As Weteath's post shows, one has to look at housing plus transportation costs. If by moving to the suburbs, one has to buy a car, or buy more cars, a lot of the apparent cost advantage evaporates. It takes an individual calculation, location by location, but this is a general phenomenon. This is another problem that's coming as more poor/low income people live in the suburbs.
This depends on the Metro. In the DC Metro, the cost savings of living in the suburbs can be huge (without having to sacrfice much in the way of safety and QOL).

Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Of course not. I guess you read the post differently then I did.
No, I just kinda giggled because he said when he's old and in a wheelchair he'd still like to be in a city. While I understand the desire to be independent (who wants to be dependent after all?), I don't think city life will be all that appealing when you're rolling your wheelchair down to the dialysis center for the third time during a single week.

I usually feel really bad for the elderly I encounter. I see them mostly in Bed-Stuy and Harlem and they are struggling.

When I'm old and on the verge of checking out, I want to be on an island...perhaps Tortola. Not in a bustling city with all types of young snatch running the streets that I can't get.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
When I'm old and on the verge of checking out, I want to be on an island...perhaps Tortola. Not in a bustling city with all types of young snatch running the streets that I can't get.
That doesn't stop the old-timers around here from trying!

I had to look up Tortola. I guess this would suffice:

with one of these:

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM

32,396 posts, read 59,890,532 times
All my 20-something co-workers -- the ones that are always bumming rides off people because they don't have cars -- are repaying college loans and going out to dinner and bars every single night.

Even when I was a 20-something, I did not go out every night. Two or three nights a week tops. I guess that's how I afforded to operate a car.

Quote:
Good Lord, I hope not!

The first part anyway; I'm already not concerned with tapas and wine bars.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM

I guess it's all what you're used to. If you spent most of your life walking and using transit (there are a fair number of older folks in this city who just never learned to drive), it doesn't really add up that when you move into a 55/62+ apartment that you would all of the sudden no longer care about that mobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or