Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

Like many other towns, Las Vegas is not designed for pedestrian travel. Just try crossing that street, as a pedestrian, there is not enough time for a person to cross a large intersection.

At least, there is a sidewalk, many places don't even have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
The California minimum sidewalk is 4 feet, though most places try to provide more.

The planting strip between the roadway and the sidewalk can provide a barrier in the form of plants. More importantly, it's a psychological barrier that makes people willing to walk in the first place.

One problem in these kind of suburbs is that there actually aren't enough roads. To save money, developers and municipalities don't build local streets so huge amounts of traffic get funneled onto these massive high speed roads. Future subdivisions need to be built with more of a local road network or, alternatively, a bike/ped pathway network (though those can raise personal safety concerns).

A related problem is the walls around those subdivisions. Those walls mean that you can't come out of the subdivision (via any mode) near where you live, you've got to go a long way to the exits. That's really bad if you're walking, not good if you're riding a bike or trying to catch a bus. If subdivisions at least had cut throughs, if not streets, this problem could be solved.

I frankly hope we don't see too many more places like this getting built, but if they are they could be better.
Not enough roads is an interesting viewpoint. Somewhat counter-intuitive. But, it feels like a inefficient answer to the walkability question; cars get less efficient roadways, pedestrians don't get superior sidewalks (much less protected pathways).

The inability to walk from A to B because of exterior walls and a lack of paths between streets is a known negative for walkability.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Not enough roads is an interesting viewpoint. Somewhat counter-intuitive. But, it feels like a inefficient answer to the walkability question; cars get less efficient roadways, pedestrians don't get superior sidewalks (much less protected pathways).

The inability to walk from A to B because of exterior walls and a lack of paths between streets is a known negative for walkability.
It would be more precise to say not enough pedestrian pathways, you're right. I say roads because generally that's where the pedestrian paths also are, but it is possible to construct a denser network of pedestrian paths.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm not trying to invalidate the point being made, but I do think a stroller can make it around on the right side of those poles. But yes, very poor sidewalk design.
And more important (legally?) than a stroller is whether a wheelchair fits and to me it looks like it does. Older sidewalks may not always fit them.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
That looks like a pretty common street out in the 'burbs here.
I was gonna say that it looks like what I see in most newer areas of the SW. Out here I see lots of that in Orange County. With the wall and everything.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I was gonna say that it looks like what I see in most newer areas of the SW. Out here I see lots of that in Orange County. With the wall and everything.
True, sadly. Do you walk along such streets much? Is it enjoyable?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
True, sadly. Do you walk along such streets much? Is it enjoyable?
No, I don't and I can't imagine that it would be. Better than lots of the sunbelt though where many streets don't have sidewalks at all. Especially the southeast.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Poorly designed sidewalks way out in the suburbs is one thing, but imagine having to deal with this in what is a relatively dense urban area, while walking from the Metrorail station to the ballpark Needless to say, most people just drive.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM

21,128 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Hell, as a frequent walker I'm just glad if I can find a sidewalk most of the time.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hell, as a frequent walker I'm just glad if I can find a sidewalk most of the time.
I was going to say the same thing about where I live. I can show you parts of Portland that have no sidewalks at all. Good luck if you want to take a stroll in some parts of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning