U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was going to say the same thing about where I live. I can show you parts of Portland that have no sidewalks at all. Good luck if you want to take a stroll in some parts of the city.
But in Portland they at least know that lack of sidewalks is a problem, not a norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
But in Portland they at least know that lack of sidewalks is a problem, not a norm.
It's the norm for the people who have lived with the problem for decades and decades. Heck since the city was a city. But the mayor has promised to look into it.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,558,796 times
Aside from whether this is a bad sidewalk design, I question whether anyone actually would want to walk in Las Vegas. The relatively extreme temperatures in the winter and summer make walking a very unattractive proposition.

[las Vegas is in a hostile environment]

Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Aside from whether this is a bad sidewalk design, I question whether anyone actually would want to walk in Las Vegas. The relatively extreme temperatures in the winter and summer make walking a very unattractive proposition.

Maybe people wouldn't want to walk there, but the option should be available. And the weather in most cities isn't as extreme as in Las Vegas.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Maybe people wouldn't want to walk there, but the option should be available. And the weather in most cities isn't as extreme as in Las Vegas.
My comment was exclusive to Las Vegas.

[with that said, the option should always be there no matter the city]

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Another thing I noticed: no bike lane.

[that's no good either]

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:

Las Vegas looks quite mild in the winter. Summer is unpleasant, but 2/3 of the rest of the year looks fine.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Las Vegas looks quite mild in the winter. Summer is unpleasant, but 2/3 of the rest of the year looks fine.
In the desert it can get very cold. Granted, it is does not snow (normally) and relatively speaking it is pleasant compared to other areas of the nation where the winters are harsh. But if I had a choice between walking in the cold or driving a car with the heater on, I'm taking the car.

[i accept that everyone's threshold for comfort varies so this is just my opinion]

Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,443,517 times
I know this thread is about sidewalks poorly designed from the beginning. but there are also sidewalks that were designed perfectly well, and then the City allows them to be screwed up, completely.

In the image below, is a sidewalk in a commercial area that was originally free of obstructions. However, the city allowed this GINORMOUS utility enclosure to be built in the middle of the sidewalk creating a huge bottleneck for pedestrians. I guess all of this talk about "walkability" is just so much hot air. When push comes to shove, the utilities can push the pedestrians (and public) aside and lay claim to the majority of the public right-of-way.

Attached Thumbnails
Bad sidewalk design-toyland-parade-resized.jpg  

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,401 times
Quote:
In the desert it can get very cold. Granted, it is does not snow (normally) and relatively speaking it is pleasant compared to other areas of the nation where the winters are harsh. But if I had a choice between walking in the cold or driving a car with the heater on, I'm taking the car.

[i accept that everyone's threshold for comfort varies so this is just my opinion]
You would find a low of 35F and high of 57F for the coldest part of Las Vegas' winter bothersome? Even with a decent coat and hat?

I dunno... This morning in my part of Ontario it was as cold as Las Vegas' record low (8F), and I didn't mind walking to university at all. I was actually getting hot in my winter coat since I was walking pretty fast. Plus, a car takes a couple minutes to heat up, unless you warm it up before you get in, you'll be cold for a bit. At least if you walk you're moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning