U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM

242 posts, read 293,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Decent weather, not being cramped in w/others like sardines, high crime rates, dirty streets & sidewalks, high prices for simple goods, lousy services...
Shall I continue?

Crime? You're right Houstan, Dallas and Atlanta are crim free.

Services, better have a car in those cities, because services are far aprt from eachother.

In Chicago, I could get everything I needed and never have left my neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,296,988 times
Is there a point to this thread or is it simply another troll based thread?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 PM

862 posts, read 1,221,163 times
What's wrong with sprawl? Especially when it helps to keep the cost of living and housing lower? A lot of places with tighter laws regarding development have more expensive housing.

I like the open space, fresh air and cheaper living. I'd hate to have to live like sardines in a high rise apartment building with no yard. Not to mention havig to walk or take a bus everywhere.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM
JJG

13,251 posts, read 19,252,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
That's another thing. Box stores everywhere/ Dallas--strip mall after strip mall. It seems like that is what people do "for fun".
You truly haven't been to Dallas, have you?

Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 PM

6,995 posts, read 12,547,202 times
You would definitely hate Phoenix. The mother of sprawl and no personality.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:13 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,211,172 times
Baltimore doesn't sprawl.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:17 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,548,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
What's wrong with sprawl? Especially when it helps to keep the cost of living and housing lower? A lot of places with tighter laws regarding development have more expensive housing.

I like the open space, fresh air and cheaper living. I'd hate to have to live like sardines in a high rise apartment building with no yard. Not to mention havig to walk or take a bus everywhere.
Most of the large cities really grew after World War 2. Houston, for example, had a population of 2.1 million in 2010, but less than 400,000 in 1940. So over 80% of the city's population has been added since then. Between 1950 and 2000, auto dependent suburban sprawl was the primary form of development throughout the country, with a small number of urban exceptions. So Northeastern and West Coast cities have more older areas developed at a higher density. It's also possible that Southern cities have done less to regulate sprawl, I don't know if anyone has analyzed that.

People's esthetic reactions to sprawl vary. To me, the big problem with sprawl is that it's resource intensive. It uses a lot of land which otherwise could be open space. It requires more miles of road, more miles of sewers, more miles of electric lines etc. This development pattern leads to higher gasoline consumption. Often city dwellers have to pay at least part of the bill, as when the cost of extending water lines is spread across all the customers of a water company.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,819,470 times
First of all New Orleans is not sprawl
Second of all, Atlanta is a fairly historic city with many historic skyscrapers. The city is not sprawl but the suburbs are.

Third is, most southern cities only grew into large cities in the past 50 years. Places like Dallas, Houston, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and other cities weren't the powerhouses they were until recently because they grew due to people coming here for jobs, weather, tourism and beaches. Even so people seem to forget there are historic areas in these cities just like any other city. Its not as historic as Philly or Boston because those cities were the birthplace of America. Regardles some people just like to be in a quiet area where jobs are peltinful, crime is overall low, schools are decent to averaes, taxes are low and people can get a decent modern home for cheap. Some people really dont care so much for public transportation

Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,902,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Cost of living is what these cities mainly what all those cities got going for them. The southern cities are the only place in the country where you could still live near a big city and still have very affordable hosing and rent.
That is simply not true. I know of many people who live just outside of major northern cities, Boston, NYC and Chicago for example, and they all pay very reasonable rents for nice places.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM

4,478 posts, read 7,327,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
If you were saying the southern cities have low crime rates and have good services, that's something I'm not sure I agree with. Crime rates are kinda a wash as big cities will have crime issues no matter where they are located. Services though, without a doubt, the west and east big cities have better services because they actually put money and effort into them.
Not just big cities. Even in mid-sized cities, you'll find crime. Heck, you can find crime anywhere.

Quote:
What do you mean by culture? Considering a lot of the southern major cities have lot of Northern transplants, those cities feel very Northern and midwestern.

For the true southern feel, you'd have to go very deep south and usually the smaller towns.
Are you referring to a particular city because this is what it is sounding like.
Also, you can find southern culture as far north as Nashville, Tennessee or Richmond, Virginia. Even cities with "northern and mid-western transplants" still maintain their original southern charms.
As far as culture, have you ever been to Memphis? Think about what it's known for. That would be considered a part of it's culture. Nashville is known for country music (among other things) and Charleston most definitely has it's southern charm (also among other things).

Quote:
Crime? You're right Houstan, Dallas and Atlanta are crime free. (Had to spell correct you there.)

Services, better have a car in those cities, because services are far apart from each (add a space here)other.
Services are things such as trash collection, road maintenance, water, etc. I think you may be a bit confused on what "services" are. I think you are referring to businesses, which could be confused as a "service" which they technically do give you, but there seems to be some miscommunication between what you call a service and what other posters are calling a service. Just clarifying.

In Chicago, I could get everything I needed and never have left my neighborhood.
I love Chicago and all, but you are really making this thread sound like a troll thread with your responses. I hate sprawl just as much as the next guy, but what is the point here? Just sounds like the reason for this thread was to rant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Is there a point to this thread or is it simply another troll based thread?
See above comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or