U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Crime rates are higher in the South than the North
Yep.

Look at this list, for what it's worth:

America’s Most (and Least) Peaceful States - 24/7 Wall St.

10 Least Peaceful States:

Mississippi
South Carolina
Arkansas
Texas
Missouri
Arizona
Florida
Nevada
Tennessee
Louisiana

10 Most Peaceful States:

Iowa
Rhode Island
Hawaii
Washington
North Dakota
Utah
Minnesota
New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,274,537 times
There are 2 types of southern cities.

1 the souless sprawls including Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Jacksonville.

2 the quaint historic cities such as Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,372 times
the sprawl is just as bad if not worse in the western and midwestern states. so don't go there if you hate sprawl. its physically impossible to tell one city from the next because they are all xeroxed carbon copies of each other. you know like how you can't tell one McDonalds restaurant from another? same thing. nothing but fast-food and walmarts as far as the eye can see. its mindnumbing.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I've visted the south and it seems like all of the major cities are nothing but sprawling cities. Lots of sbdivisions and bland look and feel.

Not a lot of character. Atalnta, Dallas, Houston all seem to mirror one another. IN addition Charlotte does have anything special about it neither.

Look at places like Philly, Dc Boston or NYC. Those cities are unique and have unique and noticable differences.

What's the apeal about the south?
What I have seen form the old cities i the conty is inner deacy with concentrated areas of welth. mnay have nearby areas where most other than the rich live ebcause of cost of nice areas withi the cities themselves.Inner city decay is a real problem known for some decades now and urban redevelopment hasn't solved it after spending billions. Mnay epopel living in a urban areas now never go to the inner city areas more thajust perhaps to work and live their lifes out side the inner city in more developed new areas.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
There are 2 types of southern cities.

1 the souless sprawls including Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, and Jacksonville.

2 the quaint historic cities such as Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans.
That's a pretty strong (and a stereotypical, inaccurate) word...

Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,274,537 times
I thought it wasnt strong enough^^

Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
I thought it wasnt strong enough^^
Of course not..

Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM

882 posts, read 1,782,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Please, detail how people in the north are subject to lousy services, high crime rates, dirty streets & sidewalks, high prices for simple goods and lousy services.
The Q was "city" vs. "sprawl", which I take to mean suburb/exurb/rural.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,462 times
The slanging match is entertaining, but here's a question, genuinely a question. If, in Dallas or Houston, I didn't want to live in car-oriented suburban style neighborhood, but wanted to live in a place where I could walk to at least some of my everyday needs, how much opportunity would I have to live in such a neighborhood? I'd like this neighborhood not to have too high a crime rate, and I'm particularly interested in being able to walk to a supermarket and a frequent bus or train line.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 AM

17,427 posts, read 21,267,665 times
I lived in Minneapolis-St. Paul area for 21 years. Start up north of Forest Lake to the North, head south to Apple Valley and beyond, we're looking at 40-50 miles of north-south sprawl. East-West: Go from Lake Minnetonka and head east to where the eastern suburbs go beyond Hudson, WI, and you've got another 40-50 miles of sprawl!

The King of sprawl of the midwestern cities? Let's call it the Phoenix of the North!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or