U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Off topic, but ... Tattler lids. I haven't tried them yet, but a lot of people swear by them:

TATTLER Reusable Canning Lids

You still need the metal screw bands, but the lids and rubber rings themselves are reusable. No doubt the lids outlast the rubber rings.


You missed the part where she said she gave up canning and freezes instead?
Yes, those were the lids I was referring to. Those aren't the only ones, but they are definitely the most popular.

No, I didn't miss that part because I was answering what she said about all the difficulties of canning. I never found it that time consuming (it's a hell of a lot less time than what I spend on this forum), arduous or all that expensive and it's enjoyable trying different kinds of recipes. I still don't quite understand what makes canning such an arduous process, but I admit people have different conceptions for what time consuming, arduous or expensive are. It seems pretty fast and painless for some, and not for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33064
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, those were the lids I was referring to. Those aren't the only ones, but they are definitely the most popular.

No, I didn't miss that part because I was answering what she said about all the difficulties of canning. I never found it that time consuming (it's a hell of a lot less time than what I spend on this forum), arduous or all that expensive and it's enjoyable trying different kinds of recipes. I still don't quite understand what makes canning such an arduous process, but I admit people have different conceptions for what time consuming, arduous or expensive are. It seems pretty fast and painless for some, and not for others.
I didn't know about those lids because I quit canning, started freezing tomatoes instead. I am not the one who said it was arduous, or especially expensive (which if you read my posts for meaning instead of just to pick up a few words and blast back you would know), but it is time consuming and it does cost something. There is no doubt about that. If I didn't want to do it I wouldn't do it.

I doubt the woman who wrote that article knows what she's talking about. Still, after all this discussion. She thinks it would be a great idea to replace front yard landscaping with vegetables. Well, then what do you do with all these vegetables?

Not to mention I don't appreciate the name calling, e.g. "grump", "crank", etc.

Last edited by nei; 01-22-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I didn't know about those lids because I quit canning, started freezing tomatoes instead. I am not the one who said it was arduous, or especially expensive (which if you read my posts for meaning instead of just to pick up a few words and blast back you would know), but it is time consuming and it does cost something. There is no doubt about that. If I didn't want to do it I wouldn't do it.

I doubt the woman who wrote that article knows what she's talking about. Still, after all this discussion. She thinks it would be a great idea to replace front yard landscaping with vegetables. Well, then what do you do with all these vegetables?

Not to mention I don't appreciate the name calling, e.g. "grump", "crank", etc.
There's actually been a considerable amount of innovation in cheaper devices and the spread of ideas and techniques to make gardening and preserving food less of a hassle in recent years and part of it is driven by the fact that there are a lot of people who proselytize and are interested in these things (like the woman in the article). It can be considerably cheaper and easier than perhaps it was in the past--all I know is that it takes considerably little effort, time, or costs for me. I don't understand what rationale you had for saying that the woman who wrote the article had no idea what she was talking about--and even then, I don't see anything wrong with what she wrote. Some people want to use that space for gardens. Others want a different kind of landscape aside from lawns so as to have to use less water and do less management. She reported on it and that's it. I don't see the rest of the assumptions being made here.

Also, going for a large variety and ones that come in at different times of the year is a good way to not get inundated. You can also eat vegetables when they're still soft, small and tender (which are often sold at a premium in supermarkets) to cut down on the total amount.

Last edited by nei; 01-22-2013 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: unnecessary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM
 
Location: North Baltimore ----> Seattle
6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Reputation: 3117
Uh oh - tomato fight! *ducks*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
 
2,145 posts, read 1,588,812 times
Reputation: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Uh oh - tomato fight! *ducks*
I was seeing it as more of a mud wrestle. Thinking of grabbing a bag of popcorn too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I was seeing it as more of a mud wrestle. Thinking of grabbing a bag of popcorn too.
grow that there popcorn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
 
2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
grow that there popcorn
In the front yard. Monoculture that yard. We can change your SN to Monsanto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM
 
2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times
Reputation: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What irked me about the article was that it is unrealistic. What's the big deal with putting the vegetable garden in the back yard, and having some nice ornamentals in the front? Fruit trees are a lot of work too. They are very insect prone. Someone planted an apricot tree in the front yard of our old house; when DH cut it down as it was dying, it was infested with bugs. It also irked me that as we had been talking about canning, etc, in the thread, that I went to the effort to look up the cost of the items one would need (let alone one's time; I have to take a vacation day plus use up weekends to do it in the fall), I was told that was "not aligned with the meaning of this thread". Why is that? Is it because it's not so "Kumbaya-ish, and implies a lot of work? Just what IS the meaning of this thread then?
I wonder why you didn't just say that is was unrealistic and point out why at the beginning. However you feel about your posts, if that was your argument, it wasn't obvious to me.

As to canning, it wasn't clear that you were pointing out how much could be grown, even in a front yard, and that preservation (or disposal) would be necessary. In the contexts of the posts, I took it to mean that people who were serious about growing an edible front yard hadn't adequately considered the cost of keeping all that food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Reputation: 33064
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I wonder why you didn't just say that is was unrealistic and point out why at the beginning. However you feel about your posts, if that was your argument, it wasn't obvious to me.

As to canning, it wasn't clear that you were pointing out how much could be grown, even in a front yard, and that preservation (or disposal) would be necessary. In the contexts of the posts, I took it to mean that people who were serious about growing an edible front yard hadn't adequately considered the cost of keeping all that food.
Sometimes it's hard to convey what one thinks is obvious on an internet board.

The bold is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Reputation: 11622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sometimes it's hard to convey what one thinks is obvious on an internet board.

The bold is true.
I hear you. Sorry if I was insulting, don't mean to be.

I guess they wouldn't be very serious then if they aren't actually thinking about any of that. It'd at the very least be considered odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top