U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the quality of public transportation be?
There shouldn't be public transportation 10 15.87%
Bare bones 0 0%
High enough to keep the people who truly need it using it 2 3.17%
Sufficient in a pinch 1 1.59%
Adequate 0 0%
Reliable 4 6.35%
Better than expected 1 1.59%
Good 8 12.70%
Excellent 22 34.92%
Meets all my standards, and exceeds them. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,678,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other than the S1, what route gets relatively high ridership? Enough to justify Sunday or evening service? I have trouble seeing how Suffolk Country Transit could do well, destinations are too scattered and density mostly too low.

But yea Suffolk Transit doesn't seem like it's run as a service that normal people might want to use. My local transit agency has added an online bus tracker.
A friend of mine created this website which shows the monthly data for SCT routes. He used that data to estimate the ridership on weekdays vs. Saturdays, and also estimate the cost per passenger. (He also has data for several other agencies in the northeast)

I would add service to the 3B (But have it go back down Washington instead of going up toward Hauppauge), S33 (west of Tanger Outlets), S40 (gets high ridership despite paralleling the LIRR), S41 (south of Brentwood RR), S45 (south/west of Central Islip RR), S60, and S66. I might also add it on the S23 south/east of Wyandanch RR.

The S66 may be surprising since it has a long nonstop portion east of Center Moriches, but it's actually up there in terms of ridership.

The S33 would run every 75 minutes, the S41 & S45 would be interlined at Bay Shore and run every 2 hours each. The 3B would run every 2 hours. The S23 would be interlined with the S40 and they'd run every 90 minutes each. The S66 would run every 90 minutes. The S1 would run every hour. (This is all being done to minimize the amount of resources used. The S23/40 combo, S66, and S1 would all require two buses each, while the rest would require only one bus per route.)

On the S1 schedule, they give the driver a lot of layover time in Amityville. I wonder if they're trying to account for traffic, or if they just want to give the driver a long break. Because the S1 could run every 45 minutes on Saturday using the same 2 buses, if they cut into the layover time in Amityville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,490,068 times
Even cities with internationally renowned public transportation systems (think Toronto) have rush hour traffic in the morning and evening, making all of these clueless 'slow growth' and 'urban containment' aficionados look even dumber in spite of their degrees from assorted institutions of higher illiteracy.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,280,250 times
Honestly, If I had my way, every city with a population of atleast 40,000 would have some type of tram line (like in France). Cities like Richmond (urban area of 1 million) would have an extensive LRT and BRT system, as well as maybe a rapid transit line or two. Cities with a 3 million+ urban area would have extensive rapid transit systems, making cars virtually unneeded. So Far, the only cities in which my ideal amount of transit would be NYC, Portland, DC, and Boston.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

12,336 posts, read 15,291,924 times
I drove the last three days. The drive home reminded me why I don't do it everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning