U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should the quality of public transportation be?
There shouldn't be public transportation 10 15.87%
Bare bones 0 0%
High enough to keep the people who truly need it using it 2 3.17%
Sufficient in a pinch 1 1.59%
Adequate 0 0%
Reliable 4 6.35%
Better than expected 1 1.59%
Good 8 12.70%
Excellent 22 34.92%
Meets all my standards, and exceeds them. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,433,601 times

Advertisements

Regardless of where you live, work, go to school, vacation, etc., what should the quality* of public transportation be (also factoring in that you pay taxes) if you personally may or may not ever use it?

Please feel free to explain your vote.
*Quality meaning: overall expenditures, experience, environment, efficiency and end points.

Or if you want, you can use a number between 0 & 10 to set your vote if my descriptions were not to your liking.

Last edited by A2DAC1985; 01-14-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,968,559 times
Public transport quality and frequency should depend on the density of the population base and the wants/needs of the people that live there.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM

12,625 posts, read 13,383,664 times
Where?
And what is "quality"?

I think they improved the quality here by eliminating bus routes, reducing bus stop frequency, and concentrating more frequent service along several corridors. Someone else might think the lowered quality because they have to walk over a mile to the bus stop from their house as I do rather than it stopping two blocks away. I would call it better than expected here, but it's also no more than sufficient in a pinch. It'd take me an hour to get to a friends house that is a 10 minute drive, for example. Or 30 minutes to the grocery store, 5 minute drive. In a pinch or if I really needed to, I could make the 20 minute walk. And as long as I'm going somewhere along the corridors, it would only be 1.5-2x as slow as driving from there. I'd only use it if I had no other option, and even then I'd walk most places since I can get most stuff in a mile, mile and half anyway.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,433,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Where?
And what is "quality"?

I think they improved the quality here by eliminating bus routes, reducing bus stop frequency, and concentrating more frequent service along several corridors. Someone else might think the lowered quality because they have to walk over a mile to the bus stop from their house as I do rather than it stopping two blocks away. I would call it better than expected here, but it's also no more than sufficient in a pinch. It'd take me an hour to get to a friends house that is a 10 minute drive, for example. Or 30 minutes to the grocery store, 5 minute drive. In a pinch or if I really needed to, I could make the 20 minute walk. And as long as I'm going somewhere along the corridors, it would only be 1.5-2x as slow as driving from there. I'd only use it if I had no other option, and even then I'd walk most places since I can get most stuff in a mile, mile and half anyway.
From the OP:

*Quality meaning: overall expenditures, experience, environment, efficiency and end points.

Basically my question is (follow up by voting on one of my 10 predetermined responses), when you step on public transit, what quality are you expecting from it, considering you help pay (taxes) for it?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM

81,413 posts, read 91,841,888 times
When I step on the bus, I expect it to be clean and to get me to my destination.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,968,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I step on the bus, I expect it to be clean and to get me to my destination.
I would add: Close to the scheduled time.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM

44,585 posts, read 35,317,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would add: Close to the scheduled time.
For buses that don't arrive on time, the Italians have found a solution:

What To Do When The Bus Doesn't Come And You Want To Scream. An Experiment : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,403,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Where?
And what is "quality"?

I think they improved the quality here by eliminating bus routes, reducing bus stop frequency, and concentrating more frequent service along several corridors. Someone else might think the lowered quality because they have to walk over a mile to the bus stop from their house as I do rather than it stopping two blocks away.
One of the problems with public transit is that it is used by handicapped and elderly people too. Walking over a mile isn't a problem for someone young and healthy and not too encumbered but for others that kind of walk can be a problem and make it less useful.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 3,403,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Get me to my desination is frankly the most important. The chicago burbs have PACE busses which is highly geared to the nine to five worker...PACE has routes that shut down around 7pm. where as the CTA is pretty much still running most routes till 8:00p.m. and has some routes that are late night and 24/7. CTA is much more likely to be useful for someone who needs to be at work before 9 or can not allways be out by 7p.m.(or so).

Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 15,785,374 times
No more and no less that what is required and no more than what the taxpayer is willing to pay.

[there is no perfect answer]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning