U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 AM

4,946 posts, read 2,975,909 times

Advertisements

For me, I always thought it was cool, but also just something that really wasn't a big deal. On L.A. curbed, Beverley Residents hated the plan for a building near their neighborhood, and they lowered it to 5 stories, but now residents want it lower..

To me it just seems pretty funny to be all pissed cuz you can see a building from your window..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,040,568 times
Well, that's LA. I remember reading about how residents who lived on the hills north of West Hollywood were afraid of the area turning into Manhattan. Somehow, the towers would "ruin the view of the city".

This also happens in cities that have/had height limits. San Francisco NIMBYers had made complaints that new skyscrapers would cause to big of a shadow of some of the city's downtown parks. And actually, I've heard this happening in Manhattan as well.

I guess it's more common than I thought.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,718,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
For me, I always thought it was cool, but also just something that really wasn't a big deal. On L.A. curbed, Beverley Residents hated the plan for a building near their neighborhood, and they lowered it to 5 stories, but now residents want it lower..

To me it just seems pretty funny to be all pissed cuz you can see a building from your window..
Actually - here's the deal. Home owners are amazingly risk averse. They fear the loss of something much more than they anticipate a possible gain. They almost always over estimate negative impacts and almost never factor in positive impacts on a potential development. This is common - we aren't entirely rational actors in the market place. There are always stories horror stories that people tell in any community about the horrible building that did x,y and z to the neighborhood. But these are almost always exceptions and not rules and that well developed multi-story buildings can work very very well in a neighborhood context and do is some of the great neighborhoods all over the world.

The question is, why do we give such risk aversion so much weight.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
I really only see the issue being within a few houses away from a multistory building or commercial building. It can increase traffic, reduce available parking, create undesired smells, animals (restaurants), etc

Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,462 times
A lot of Americans, unfortunately, believe that a "prestigious" community is one composed entirely of single family detached houses. American zoning, with the "R1" single family zone at the top of the zoning pyramid, has often supported this attitude.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,124,386 times
All of this is hilarious when you take into context the neighborhood this is happening in. This isn't Mayberry or anything - the giant, ugly monstrosity that is the Beverly Center is a stones throw away from this proposed development.

watts, ca - Google Maps
watts, ca - Google Maps
watts, ca - Google Maps (I believe it is going on this gas station lot)
watts, ca - Google Maps

So that is the neighborhood, a five-story apartment is definitely out of character right?

watts, ca - Google Maps
I suppose it is probably those people on Alfred Street to the right of La Cienega. I guess a five story building would block your view of that beaut that is the Beverly Center, yeah? It's just funny, wouldn't you rather be rid of a gross, smelly, noisy gas station? The residents probably don't use it much, the prices are probably through the roof in that location.

These people are mostly just idiots, probably seeking a cash-grab.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,590,404 times
I dont think they really care about the look of the building, they just don't want low income voucher housing within smelling distance.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM

4,946 posts, read 2,975,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I dont think they really care about the look of the building, they just don't want low income voucher housing within smelling distance.
looks like a job for George Lucas..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,269,372 times
a single tall multistory building would look rather awkward and out of place in a neighborhood made up of single-family homes. it would stick out like a sore thumb. so I would't blame them for being against it.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,124,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
a single tall multistory building would look rather awkward and out of place in a neighborhood made up of single-family homes. it would stick out like a sore thumb. so I would't blame them for being against it.
Um did you even look at the streetviews? It's not a hypothetical situation, it is a real building in a real neighborhood, that does have a lot of single family homes within the super-block but the arterial streets are lined with buildings between 3-6 stories and kitty-corner from the job site is the 10 story megalith that is the Beverly Center. It wouldn't look weird in that setting, in fact the gas station that currently exists is what looks weird. This building is completely in character with the rest of the neighborhood.

EDIT: In the streetviews ignore the fact that I was looking at Watts when I linked to the site, it is in Beverly Glen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or