Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,730,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You assume all "sprawlites" (as you so kindly dub people who chose to live places you disprove of) work in the city center. I don't and neither does my husband. Why would we want to pay a premium price for living 2-3 miles from it? If we want to go uptown during the evenings or weekends to eat or attend an event, commute time is 20 minutes. My current commute to work is nothing since I work at home and my husbands is 10 minutes. Our suburban location makes both better environmental and economic sense.
Clearly I was talking about the sprawlites who commute centrally, not the sprawlites who commute to the nearby pod. What part of that didn't you understand?

Feel free to call me an urbanite. I wear my badge proudly.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM

11,409 posts, read 7,721,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Clearly I was talking about the sprawlites who commute centrally, not the sprawlites who commute to the nearby pod. What part of that didn't you understand?

Feel free to call me an urbanite. I wear my badge proudly.
No, you were generalizing that all folks living in the suburbs could be labeled "sprawlites" by virtue of their choice of location. If you meant only those who live in the suburbs and commute to the city center, you would have used a word like "some" and called them people and not a term designed to be offensive.

And, thanks for the offer to call you an urbanite, but I can think of more apt ways to describe you.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
^^I have to say, I didn't think it was all that clear either, Komeht.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,076,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Who needs an excuse for living in a suburb?? I strongly prefer living in suburbs because of more yard space and better housing options.
Exactly. I much prefer our modest bungalow on a 60' by 105' lot and one-hour commute to the city than I would living in a cramped, congested, noisy, overpriced, roach-infested condo that cost 2 to 3 times as much as we paid for out house. I personally think city dwellers are crazy, but I don't expect them to make excuses for their ****-poor choices.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, you were generalizing that all folks living in the suburbs could be labeled "sprawlites" by virtue of their choice of location. If you meant only those who live in the suburbs and commute to the city center, you would have used a word like "some" and called them people and not a term designed to be offensive.

And, thanks for the offer to call you an urbanite, but I can think of more apt ways to describe you.
1. All folks living in the suburbs by choice are sprawlites. If it walks like a duck. . .
2. Not all sprawlites commute to city center - I was referring to those who do. Crystal?

I'm not sure what the objection is to the term "sprawlite". People peg those of us who live in and prefer the urban environment all the time as urbanites. Those who live in and prefer sprawl. . ."sprawlites". What am I missing?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,149,397 times
Quote:
2. Not all sprawlites commute to city center - I was referring to those who do. Crystal?
whatever the term… of those who do commute to the city center, I doubt they are unaware of the length of their commute. Choosing to have a very long commute* is rather odd to me, but regardless of the merits of their choice, those have long commutes know what the pros and cons of their choice. After commuting for years, you know how long it takes. Maybe some people deliberately underestimate in conversation.

*Some "sprawlites" don't choose — they didn't originally plan on commuting to the city center so they chose a less convenient location for center city commuting but later ended up with a job in the city center.

Of course, many of those that don't have a center city commute, could care less how long it takes to access the city center, maybe even have a poor idea of time.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,159,120 times
Quote:
1. All folks living in the suburbs by choice are sprawlites. If it walks like a duck. . .

I'm not sure what the objection is to the term "sprawlite". People peg those of us who live in and prefer the urban environment all the time as urbanites. Those who live in and prefer sprawl. . ."sprawlites". What am I missing?
Now just a freaking minute!

It always amazes me to read comments like this. I used to think such posters had never been to the suburbs. However, it turns out, most have lived in the burbs at some point in their life. Not all suburbs are sprawl. Not all sprawl is negative. What's wrong with the term "suburbanites" for people who live in the suburbs? Not pejorative enough?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now just a freaking minute!

It always amazes me to read comments like this. I used to think such posters had never been to the suburbs. However, it turns out, most have lived in the burbs at some point in their life. Not all suburbs are sprawl. Not all sprawl is negative. What's wrong with the term "suburbanites" for people who live in the suburbs? Not pejorative enough?
Earlier you wanted me to be more specific about the types of suburbs in my critique. So, I now distinguish between old streetcar suburbs and their denizens and the auto-centric post-war greenfield development that dominated most of the second half of the 20th century as sprawl - I'm by no means the only and certainly not the first to do so - it's a commonly accepted term for such.

Denizens of sprawl (as opposed to denizens of streetcar suburbs) = sprawlites. Not sure I understand the problem with this.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM

41,709 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Quote:
Those who live in and prefer sprawl. . ."sprawlites". What am I missing?
Plenty, apparently, since you insist on generalizing people who live in suburban neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Plenty, apparently, since you insist on generalizing people who live in suburban neighborhoods.
People who live in Urban environs are frequently referred to as urbanites. How is this any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning