Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:20 PM

391 posts, read 285,387 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that too many people who criticize the cities make sweeping generalizations about them, like overcrowdedness, packed like sardines, soviet style concrete blocks... Not all cities or parts of cities are equal. Same applies to suburbs. Not all are equal. People need to stop attacking cities by pointing to undesirable cities.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Which really aren't properly characterized as suburbs at all now and in most instances are for intents and purposes, central city neighborhoods now. They we're frequently built on grids, with interconnected streets, most houses in narrow lots, mixed use and all-in-all quite urban.

They bare almost no resemblance to the modern post war automobile oriented suburbs, built on dendritic pattern of roads on large lots, in pod-like separation and not urban at all.

Frequently on these discussions someone invariable points to a streetcar suburb as evidence suburbs aren't terrible places. Streetcar suburbs are not the same animal as modern suburbs and not properly characterized as such.
I usually defend modern suburbs by telling people to simply mind their own business and let other live how they want to live.

I don't need to point to streetcar suburbs.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning