U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,933,106 times

Advertisements

IMHO front lawns are a waste.

My house fronts directly on the street. I go down the steps and turn, and I'm on the sidewalk, and I like it that way. We'll probably need to upgrade to a bigger house when our second child comes along, but I hope to live in a house with only a slightly greater setback - enough for a front porch and maybe a flower garden, but that's it.

If I had to move out west, I would purposefully choose a house without a lawn. That said, I don't think my preferred style of housing is very predominant anywhere in the west, so I'd probably have to compromise on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM

4,944 posts, read 7,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I have 5500SF lot with a small patch of lawn in the front yard (about 20x20) and dirt in the back yard. The plan, assuming I stay here, is to install drought tolerant landscaping.

[or fake grass]
Same size lot and an even smaller patch of lawn, on either side of an entry path maybe a total of 150 s.f.. I kind of like how the house looks settled with a bit of lawn and heavily landscaped setting- my house is barely 10' from the sidewalk, my garage, 3'!- so while it's sucking water more than natives it is such a small patch it just becomes a component of the overall landscaping scene. Back garden is more of the same- actually a large garden- but maybe 1/4 lawn, 3/4 other landscaping.

It is a pain in the azz to try to maintain to look good though (I've heard you should judge a lawn's appearance by what it looks like when your driving by in a car, never up close or it will drive you to drink haha) and since we live in a desert it makes sense to increasingly plant more natives, less lawn. But we conserve water very well- our bill is less than neighbors that have much less garden so until we are forced to remove it by edict or decree I like a few, modest patches of lawn as part of an overall landscape scheme.

[IMG][/IMG]

I would never buy a house with a huge sweeping lawn out front, 100'-150' between the street and your house- that looks ridiculous to me and just screams maintenance!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,660,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Xeriscaping has to be watered until it is established.
Sure, but I'd see it as an investment in future water savings.

At my current house, I didn't plant everything at the same time, but little by little. This way, I didn't have to use a lot of water to keep everything I just planted alive, and I didn't have the huge cost of buying all the plants at the same time.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:06 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I did replace much of my front lawn with a decorative garden and veggies in the back. The veggies take a lot of water to make happen. I like nybbler's RC car racetrack idea. I can mow my whole property in about 15 minutes with a reel mower but I still can't stand doing it.

I thought I'd love having a yard, but I'd gladly give it up.
Yes, vegetables take in a lot of water. Otherwise, the tomatoes crack, and the yield is decreased considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IMHO front lawns are a waste.

My house fronts directly on the street. I go down the steps and turn, and I'm on the sidewalk, and I like it that way. We'll probably need to upgrade to a bigger house when our second child comes along, but I hope to live in a house with only a slightly greater setback - enough for a front porch and maybe a flower garden, but that's it.

If I had to move out west, I would purposefully choose a house without a lawn. That said, I don't think my preferred style of housing is very predominant anywhere in the west, so I'd probably have to compromise on something.
There are no houses without any lawn here in Colorado. Even patio homes have a small amount of yard.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
There are no houses without any lawn here in Colorado. Even patio homes have a small amount of yard.
Hmm. You mean no lawn or no yard? Any houses in Colorado with short spaces and no lawn like these?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26447886-post1004.html

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM

Unless I'm having a visual hallucination, there is grass growing in front of these houses, and we can't see what's in back.

There are houses in Louisville with small front yards like that, and a larger (but still not huge) back yard.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Unless I'm having a visual hallucination, there is grass growing in front of these houses, and we can't see what's in back.

There are houses in Louisville with small front yards like that, and a larger (but still not huge) back yard.
I was referring to specifically the front.

From what I can tell, the fronts of all of them are flowers or ornamental plants, but there might be grass in spots. The house in the last two (house is from Ithaca btw) looks like it has pachysandra not grass. Of course, those small front yards could be grass depending on what the owner wants.

In this house, going out the porch places you right on the sidewalk but besides the porch there is a small gap:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=01060...,113.21,,0,0.7

does this qualify as no lawn or a small front yard to either of you?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM

23,426 posts, read 28,280,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I was referring to specifically the front.

From what I can tell, the fronts of all of them are flowers or ornamental plants, but there might be grass in spots. The house in the last two (house is from Ithaca btw) looks like it has pachysandra not grass. Of course, those small front yards could be grass depending on what the owner wants.

In this house, going out the porch places you right on the sidewalk but besides the porch there is a small gap:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=01060...,113.21,,0,0.7

does this qualify as no lawn or a small front yard to either of you?
I suspect that house originally had more front yard but widening of the highway it faces cut it down to almost nothing. It's now so small that grass is not really practical. So to me it's a tiny yard with, as best I can tell, no lawn.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM

It's not much of a front yard, but it's green. It also appears that there is a driveway to the left of the house that goes into the back. It seems like there is a backyard of some sort.

The newer patio homes here in CO have small front yards, the garage on the back of the house, and tiny back yards.

Indian Peaks South | McStain Neighborhoods

Look at the pictures.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,028,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. You mean no lawn or no yard? Any houses in Colorado with short spaces and no lawn like these?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26447886-post1004.html
There are some homes in Denver Metro that have xeriscape, but most have lawns including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or