U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times

Advertisements

If water restrictions/prices made having a lawn unworkable - would you still want the same sized lot? Just curious for those who are married to the quarter acre lot. If so, what would you do with the lot instead? If not, would you consider ditching the SF detached altogether or just downsize a little (lot not home).

Notice - those of you in the Eastern third of the country likely will never have to face this question - those of you in the mountain west likely already have faced it and made decision. This is more for the middle third of the country who are in semi-arid lands and living in communities that may face decisions as to allocation of limited water resources now or in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
You're assuming those with detached homes have a quarter acre. They might have much more or much less.

And some of us here don't have much of a lot if any. I don't really have much of a lawn to speak of. A lack of water would make my street look less appealing in the warmer months by killing off the landscaping. But as someone in the eastern third of the country, lately it's gotten wetter in general not drier.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM

32,382 posts, read 59,858,320 times
You're also assuming those of us with lawns actually water them. Or, if we do water them, you're assuming that the lawn is watered with tap water.

The premise is flawed.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
I live in the midwest and I let my grass go brown when it gets dry...that's usually up to a month a year. There was close to a month last year that only the middle of the back yard was somewhat green, because that is where the kids set up the sprinkler when they play in it. I probably have a 1/4 acre and it is the perfect size for my family. The squirrels, chipmunks, and rabbits would be sad if I didn't have my yard...or my pathetic little garden.

Some in my neighborhood water from about June through September, though, they have those lush, soft, green lawns. Don't know what they would do.

After my kids grow up I will downsize, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're also assuming those of us with lawns actually water them. Or, if we do water them, you're assuming that the lawn is watered with tap water.

The premise is flawed.
The OP excluded the wetter, eastern third of the country for that reason.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:30 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The OP excluded the wetter, eastern third of the country for that reason.
Maybe it should be the eastern half.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times
Quote:

The premise is flawed.
Uh - that's a pretty safe assumption for the vast majority of households with lawns in the drier areas that I referred to in the OP.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM

32,382 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Uh - that's a pretty safe assumption for the vast majority of households with lawns.
Really? I've never seen anyone water their lawns anywhere I've lived. Not even during drought years.

I guess we're all smarter -- or exhibit more pronounced cheapskate tendencies -- than the "vast majority of households."

Assumptions are dangerous things, Grasshopper.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Really? I've never seen anyone water their lawns anywhere I've lived. Not even during drought years.
You need to get out more.

Some of my parent's neighbors had automatic sprinklers that went off while it was raining. I saw one go off 6 hours before Tropical Storm Irene approached. My parents water their lawn but off and on.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Maybe it should be the eastern half.
what do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or