U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,556,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I highly doubt your 1945 sf home is in midtown Manhattan
You're right.

[depending on perspective, that is either a good thing or a bad thing]

Quote:
But location isn't location.

1.5 hours from downtown LA is=\= as heart of Manhattan
Neither is downtown LA.

[i don't mind renting in the urban core but I'm not paying that kind of money per square foot]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,556,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Bring one! It's a great town for cycling (and getting better every year). Plus you can bring your bike on the subways and commuter rails for mini vacations.
I did that when I visited San Francisco last year for Fleet Week. Rode the bike all the way from the Financial District to Chrissy Field. The hills were not bad, didn't have to worry about parking, or traffic. Great exercise and seeing San Francisco on two wheels beats four wheels anyday (unless it's raining).

[SF seemed very bike friendly]

Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,593,253 times
Quote:
Great solution for those who want to live urban, are young and have few possessions, do not want a lot of space to maintain and ony require their abode be in the middle of the thick of things. I can't imagine why someone woukd object to these being built.
Me either. Why would anyone object to the choices others make in their living arrangements? Sounds like these units will fill a need, so makes sense to build them.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
^^Absolutely! It worked out fine for my daughter. Did anyone on this forum speak against these apts being built?

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I did that when I visited San Francisco last year for Fleet Week. Rode the bike all the way from the Financial District to Chrissy Field. The hills were not bad, didn't have to worry about parking, or traffic. Great exercise and seeing San Francisco on two wheels beats four wheels anyday (unless it's raining).

[SF seemed very bike friendly]
Sf has made it a priority.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:15 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
As long as they reduce the rent it might be fair. Go catless? No thanks.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM

14,057 posts, read 16,066,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Absolutely! It worked out fine for my daughter. Did anyone on this forum speak against these apts being built?
Not that I'm aware of... now, if we got down to nuts and bolts and talked about these apartments being built in people's backyard, I suspect that might change. There's a bunch of micro-apartments going up in Seattle, and they're quite controversial. Partly it's parking. They're not being built with any off-street parking as per code they aren't required to have it. And I do see the appeal of apodments since they're flexible (month-to-month) and much cheaper than a normal-sized studio is.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,281 times
There have been those who have derided tiny apartments in San Francisco as dormitories for Twitter and tech workers. On the face of it, I don't get that argument, the tech workers are already driving up rents in San Francisco, tiny apartments would be neutral to positive. To the extent that buildings like these get direct subsidies or tax subsidies, there's a question of whether that's where housing funds should be spent. I suppose it's also conceivable that tiny apartments would be so profitable that they'd crowd out the construction of larger apartments, at which point the city would rightly be concerned. But we're obviously a long way from that.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not on this one.

A similar thread was posted on the NYC forum and many of the responses were angrily negative. The OP's title: "New York reveals home of the future" helped. Seemed like the most common response was complaining not enough space for storing stuff or having guests over. Or just outraged others would pay for such a thing.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,713,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
You're right.

[depending on perspective, that is either a good thing or a bad thing]

Neither is downtown LA.

[i don't mind renting in the urban core but I'm not paying that kind of money per square foot]
No one is asking you to...this is an option for those who value being in the city of NY and don't want or need a lot of space. Not every option has to appeal to every one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning