U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,725,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not on this one.

A similar thread was posted on the NYC forum and many of the responses were angrily negative. The OP's title: "New York reveals home of the future" helped. Seemed like the most common response was complaining not enough space for storing stuff or having guests over. Or just outraged others would pay for such a thing.
The complainants were the typical forum cynics. They literally complain about EVERYTHING in NYC. If you care enough to take the time to review their post history, you will quickly notice they despise gentrification. You would think they would welcome more units in an already desirable yet expensive neighborhood, no. Instead, they bicker and complain.

That neighborhood is full of social areas like plazas, bars, lounges, restaurants and there are public events held daily. Why would a young person spend much time inside when they have the best the city has to offer at their fingertips?

This type of housing is in huge demand in NYC. People pay fortunes to live in run down studio apartments with none of the amenities these micro apartments contain. They also fail to realize, beyond the storage innovations inside the apartments, there are also long term storage areas located inside (likely the basement). It's mentioned in the article.

Apartments this small and smaller do exist in NYC. Unfortunately zoning was passed a few decades ago banning post constructed apartments < 400 sq feet. The current administration will reverse that. The demand is there and the people that will rent these spaces will spend their time out and about, coming home to sleep and fck.

These will be built and become popular, believe me when I say. The real questions are how can NYC deal with the population increase. What can we learn from Europe and Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,585,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
No one is asking you to...this is an option for those who value being in the city of NY and don't want or need a lot of space. Not every option has to appeal to every one.
Eh? The OP was asking for thoughts on the subject, i.e. opinions.

[agree with the rest of your post]

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,734,740 times
wonder how long it will take to build? by time they do it i maybe be married and with child aka not going to be able to enjoy it

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,725,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
wonder how long it will take to build? by time they do it i maybe be married and with child aka not going to be able to enjoy it
Actually, I forgot to mention they will also be prefabricated construction. Primarily residential structures in NYC tend to go up rapidly anyway, expect these to finish sooner then average.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,734,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Actually, I forgot to mention they will also be prefabricated construction. Primarily residential structures in NYC tend to go up rapidly anyway, expect these to finish sooner then average.
so like 1-2 years or 5

Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,784,449 times
I've actually been curious about these ever since I saw Apodments when visiting Seattle. According to the Apodments site, they come equipped with bed, desk, and a mini-kitchen. Is there a communal kitchen, as well? I, personally, don't think that I could function in 400 sq. ft and under, but it is a really neat idea.

I also saw that the ones that are being planned for SF have been getting a lot of resistance, mostly due to cost. The Manhattan range seems fairly reasonable (for Manhattan, anyway), so any ideas as to why the cost of renting one in SF could not be reasonable, as well?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM

14,088 posts, read 16,117,190 times
Apodments is more on the 150 square foot range, most are smaller than that. They aren't built with full kitchens, just a min-fridge and microwave and on some of the bigger ones a two-burner hotplate stove thing. Apodments does have communal kitchens, dining areas, and common space as it's more of a rent a room arrangement than meant to be a smaller version of a conventional self-contained housing unit.

Rent seems reasonable, but again, it's not market rate rate, so who knows what that means. The ones in San Francisco are 220 square feet and expected to rent for $1200-1500 market rate. I guess it depends what amenities the buildings are coming with, but studios twice that size aren't much more expensive. $1500/month for a 220 sq foot studio or $1700-$1800/month for a conventional ~500 sq foot studio?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Rent seems reasonable, but again, it's not market rate rate, so who knows what that means. The ones in San Francisco are 220 square feet and expected to rent for $1200-1500 market rate. I guess it depends what amenities the buildings are coming with, but studios twice that size aren't much more expensive. $1500/month for a 220 sq foot studio or $1700-$1800/month for a conventional ~500 sq foot studio?
This is what I mean. If a micro-apartment in Manhattan can go for (a median of) $950 in rent, why wouldn't SF be able to do the same? Are the housing codes that different? I can't see paying $12-1500 for what is essentially a closet when I could get a studio for comparable cost.

Of course, everything is still in the planning phase, so the articles that I have read have obviously not been set in stone. It just seems really stupid, to me.

ETA: I just saw where you said it's not market rate. I have no idea what that means.

Quote:
Apodments is more on the 150 square foot range, most are smaller than that. They aren't built with full kitchens, just a min-fridge and microwave and on some of the bigger ones a two-burner hotplate stove thing. Apodments does have communal kitchens, dining areas, and common space as it's more of a rent a room arrangement than meant to be a smaller version of a conventional self-contained housing unit.
Thanks for explaining this.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,058,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
This is what I mean. If a micro-apartment in Manhattan can go for (a median of) $900 in rent, why wouldn't SF be able to do the same? Are the housing codes that different? I can't see paying $12-1500 for what is essentially a closet when I could get a studio for comparable cost.
The $900 is one of the "affordable" units. The market rate hasn't been set yet, from what I think. Maybe determined once they go out on the market...

Old 01-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The $900 is one of the "affordable" units. The market rate hasn't been set yet, from what I think. Maybe determined once they go out on the market...
OH! Okay. I was under the impression that the pricing was starting in the $700+ range. That's different, then. I guess just wait to see what actually happens during marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning