U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,111,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why didn't you just move closer to a grocery store? If you're willing to "set yourself up correctly" in Los Angeles, then why not do the same in Allston? From a walkability perspective, it doesn't really seem any worse than Hollywood, and may in fact be better than Hollywood from a streetscape/design standpoint. If your chief complaint is that it lacked the amenities of Hollywood, I mean, that's pretty much what you get in a part of Boston that's really not even considered the city. I didn't even know Allston was a part of Boston until I learned more about it in on C-D. It's isolated from the rest of the city and is really more of a quaint, working-class walkable suburb than a bustling urban neighborhood with strong appeal to young professionals and empty nesters with disposable income to spare. It's kinda like living in Canarsie.
Well there are a lot of reasons, mostly having to do with the complete lack of money. It was the only part of Boston we could afford. Secondly it was in between my wife's school and where I worked. I wasn't complaining about Boston but saying that a place doesn't have to be a walker's paradise to get by fine without a car. I don't really want to get into the discussion but there is no doubt Hollywood is more walkable than Allston-Brighton from a amenities and design standpoint, there are lots of parking lots in Allston and even more in Brighton. What is funny is I never even noticed the parking lots as a problem while I lived car-free in Boston, not until I joined this site and met the parking lot Nazis that I realized they were such a hindrance to walking for some people.

But Allston is not a quaint working class suburb. Where I lived it would be what you consider a "Student Ghetto" - about 75% of my neighbors went to BC or BU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't really want to get into the discussion but there is no doubt Hollywood is more walkable than Allston-Brighton from a amenities and design standpoint, there are lots of parking lots in Allston and even more in Brighton.
This seems okay to me. It doesn't look any more difficult to get around than Hollywood.

Quote:
But Allston is not a quaint working class suburb. Where I lived it would be what you consider a "Student Ghetto" - about 75% of my neighbors went to BC or BU.
Over near Harvard Ave, no, it's not a working class suburb. But in other threads, you've made it sound like you were living north of the Mass Pike, which is definitely more working class and more quaint by comparison.

Is your rent considerably lower in Hollywood?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
This seems okay to me. It doesn't look any more difficult to get around than Hollywood.
That part of Allston actually reminds me a lot of Hollywood, and there are a lot of great restaurants, convenience marts, clothing stores, bars, etc. But here is the nearest grocery store: Allston, Boston, MA - Google Maps (or you can head south to my favorite TJ's in Brookline). Oh there is also that Shaw's that is close by at Packard's Corner, it is built into the environment better but also has a massive surface lot behind it. But I lived further down Comm Ave, the nearest grocery was the Star Mart on Beacon Street right on the Boston / Brookline border.

Quote:
Over near Harvard Ave, no, it's not a working class suburb. But in other threads, you've made it sound like you were living north of the Mass Pike, which is definitely more working class and more quaint by comparison.

Is your rent considerably lower in Hollywood?
No I was right off of Comm Ave. (actually my second apartment was on Comm Ave). Very familiar with the Harvard / Comm Ave intersection and the crazy Khmer Rouge guy that hangs out in front of the Tedeschi's. I had a friend with a house in Lower Allston, so maybe that is where you got that from. I wouldn't call that area suburban either but is certainly not what I'd call a walkable (or transit accessible, really) area. It is a pretty scary place to walk to and from late at night (thanks MBTA for shutting down just when the party's getting started) through a bunch of industrial areas and across said Pike.

My rent is about the same in Hollywood - the apartment itself is about 1000000000000000x better than the ones I had in Boston. But situations change (i.e. we both got well-paying jobs in CA) so we can afford more. Obviously if I was moving to Boston again I would pick a more inner neighborhood.

But overall my point is you don't need to live in a "walker's paradise" to get by fine without a car. Most people would understandably prefer to have at least access to a car.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
That part of Allston actually reminds me a lot of Hollywood, and there are a lot of great restaurants, convenience marts, clothing stores, bars, etc. But here is the nearest grocery store: Allston, Boston, MA - Google Maps (or you can head south to my favorite TJ's in Brookline). Oh there is also that Shaw's that is close by at Packard's Corner, it is built into the environment better but also has a massive surface lot behind it. But I lived further down Comm Ave, the nearest grocery was the Star Mart on Beacon Street right on the Boston / Brookline border.
It's hard to live near a full service grocery store anywhere. Doesn't matter if you're in Boston, New York or Paris. This is about the best you can do in Paris and the selection here is very limited (and expensive). If you're able to walk to an actual grocery store in almost any city, you're either extremely lucky or you fork over an astronomical sum of money every month for the ability to do so. It's the exception in nearly every urban area in this country.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,588,812 times
Quote:
It's hard to live near a full service grocery store anywhere. Doesn't matter if you're in Boston, New York or Paris. This is about the best you can do in Paris and the selection here is very limited (and expensive). If you're able to walk to an actual grocery store in almost any city, you're either extremely lucky or you fork over an astronomical sum of money every month for the ability to do so. It's the exception in nearly every urban area in this country.
Urban folks don't like full service grocery stores, they put the 'ma and pops' out of business.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Urban folks don't like full service grocery stores, they put the 'ma and pops' out of business.
Oh, yes they do. I don't think too many tears are shed when the corner bodega boards up. People like (some people anyway) small businesses, but they want small businesses like this, not El Malik Shabazz's Halal grocery market.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes they do. I don't think too many tears are shed when the corner bodega boards up. People like (some people anyway) small businesses, but they want small businesses like this, not El Malik Shabazz's Halal grocery market.
I live near both full-service grocers and a corner bodega, and frequent both as they serve different functions for my shopping needs.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,588,812 times
Quote:
As long as ma and pop are white and/or hip they like them.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
As long as ma and pop are white and/or hip they like them.
I don't know, I think the place where "they don't even speak english!" and "It's so authentic!" gets fawned over more ... you know, until they get "discovered."

Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I don't know, I think the place where "they don't even speak english!" and "It's so authentic!" gets fawned over more ... you know, until they get "discovered."
I think it really depends on the breed of hipster you are dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or