U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LA is a little different since a single floor supermarket with a parking lot is more common than older cities. But even in San Francisco the Safeways mostly seemed to have at least a small surface parking lot.
Is the same true of Boston? Though obviously no Safeway there I didn't know Safeway was an American grocery chain until a year and a half ago; I assumed it was british as that was the only place I had seen it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM

28,253 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
I'd say grocery store access is near the top for me when considering if a place is conveniently walkable.
Well, you would struggle in New York then because there aren't that many places where you can go and pick up everything you need for a Fourth of July BBQ. I probably went to the grocery store a total of three times in 2012 so that's never been high on the list for me. Even when I do go, I'll usually go to Costco and load up for a couple of months.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM

87 posts, read 134,240 times
So this raises the question: is the country or city lifestyle better/cheaper? While I cannot assume every older person (50+) is like this, what I see most commonly where I am from (Deep South) is that many older people here do not want to live in a city, or anywhere that would (I think) be best suited for the first forays into public transit such as a rail system (there is a bus system, but it does not go many places), largely because they have an aversion to densely-populated areas...and they pass on this opinion to their children. What I hear from a lot of folks is that it's cheaper to live out in the country and get a car (nothing fancy necessarily) than to move to the city and ditch the car. I don't know which is correct...I have heard plausible arguments from both sides. I do know that where I live, which is a pretty walkable neighborhood, everything. costs. more. The groceries, gas, etc.... so, I end up doing most of my shopping when visiting family and/or friends out in the suburbs and exurbs, which is where 90 percent of the people I know live. And ironically, my job is in the suburbs so I have a reverse commute (which is fine, I sail pass the backed up lanes on the other side of the freeway every morning).

But, take my dad, for instance, who is in his late fifties. As long as he is able to scratch, claw, and kick in resistance, you will not get him to move to a Manhattan, Chicago, or San Francisco-like metropolitan area. He is a self-proclaimed country boy and if he didn't have something to go hauling chickens/furniture/car parts in, I don't think he would know what to do with himself. I guess you would say he is car-dependent....because he likes to be 40-50 miles away from anything resembling civilization and most of our friends and family are spread out pretty far apart. But, he keeps his tools, he can fix transmissions, drop engines, repair brakes, fuel lines, hoses, etc... So he gets a relatively cheap used car and/or truck (mostly trucks) and maintains it for 5, 10, even 15 more years...but there were always at least two cars in the yard growing up, though, in case one went out of commission.

Soo...what gives?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is the same true of Boston? Though obviously no Safeway there — I didn't know Safeway was an American grocery chain until a year and a half ago; I assumed it was british as that was the only place I had seen it!
Well let me think....

The Star Market on Beacon had a small parking lot... The Trader Joe's on Beacon had a small parking lot in the back, the Stop and Shop in Allston has a huge parking lot, the Shaws on Comm Ave had a huge parking lot across the street. The TJ's in Back Bay and the Shaw's at the Pru didn't have dedicated parking, as far as I know. Those are the only stores I really came into contact with, so I'd say Boston's grocery stores seem to be similar to San Francisco's. LA's supermarkets for the most part have the standard big-box format with a big parking lot in the front, though there are definitely exceptions.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, you would struggle in New York then because there aren't that many places where you can go and pick up everything you need for a Fourth of July BBQ. I probably went to the grocery store a total of three times in 2012 so that's never been high on the list for me. Even when I do go, I'll usually go to Costco and load up for a couple of months.
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean large grocery stores / supermarkets within walking distance are required to make a place conveniently walkable, I meant just having a place to get unprepared food within walking distance - so it would be perfectly fine for me if that place is a bodega, local grocery mart, small chain grocer, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy. I probably go to Ralph's (the big supermarket in SoCal) about once a month, maybe a little less. Somehow I think I'd make due .

Ha actually I totally forgot the first place I lived in Boston was across the street from a Whole Food (large parking lot) - it kind of sucks having a place like that across the street... You know there is food there but you never leave that place without dropping like 30 bucks, even if you just went in for milk

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM

28,253 posts, read 26,226,229 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean large grocery stores / supermarkets within walking distance are required to make a place conveniently walkable, I meant just having a place to get unprepared food within walking distance - so it would be perfectly fine for me if that place is a bodega, local grocery mart, small chain grocer, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy. I probably go to Ralph's (the big supermarket in SoCal) about once a month, maybe a little less. Somehow I think I'd make due .
By "unprepared food" do you mean, like, Cheerios or do you mean ground beef? I mean, bodegas are cool if you want a Snapple or a box of cereal, but it's not something you can go into and just load up on fresh produce. Some sell produce but it's usually expensive and the quality can be "eh."

Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM

389 posts, read 400,417 times
Quote:
By "unprepared food" do you mean, like, Cheerios or do you mean ground beef? I mean, bodegas are cool if you want a Snapple or a box of cereal, but it's not something you can go into and just load up on fresh produce. Some sell produce but it's usually expensive and the quality can be "eh."
Gas station sushi quality eh? lol

Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I mean like not eating at a restaurant. Anything from ground beef to Cheerios. Actually my bodega around the corner is a full-service grocery store, with everything from a butcher to a produce section (butcher = gross, produce = surprisingly good). Perhaps it would just be a local grocer in this case? There are a lot of them, Yucca Market, Whitley Market, Las Palmas Market...

I do have one question though... If you cannot live near a grocery store in NYC unless you are rich, and bodegas don't get it done... how do people in NYC eat???

Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM

389 posts, read 400,417 times
Quote:
I mean like not eating at a restaurant. Anything from ground beef to Cheerios. Actually my bodega around the corner is a full-service grocery store, with everything from a butcher to a produce section (butcher = gross, produce = surprisingly good). Perhaps it would just be a local grocer in this case? There are a lot of them, Yucca Market, Whitley Market, Las Palmas Market...

I do have one question though... If you cannot live near a grocery store in NYC unless you are rich, and bodegas don't get it done... how do people in NYC eat???
I have friends in NYC, who most certainly aren't rich, not once have they complained about lack of places to get food from a grocery store near where they live. Some live in Manhattan, and others in Brooklyn.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
There are plenty of smaller grocery stores within walking distance:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...permarket&z=15

at least two A and C are supermarket but not big box sized. Somewhat overpriced:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...2,32.9,,0,2.11

here's the size of one of them. No parking the other one does. Here's another one in a further out decent but not-hip neighborhood (maybe a bit similar to Sheepshed Bay):

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...11.14,,0,-0.88

there's several others, so most have one in walking distance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or