U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 PM

389 posts, read 400,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Those are the fastest routes. It's not like there's a faster way to do it. You can't just call WMATA and say, "Hey, I want the bus to come to my house now!" And this is the second most transit-friendly city in America. So I already know transit is a huge time suck in other cities.

That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. An apples-to-apples comparison is travel time in a car vs. transit from the same location. I don't care how many bus stops you can walk to, I can get there in half the time in my own car (Manhattan excepted).

That's a powerful advantage.
Not everyone has that same kind of lifestyle being my point, or would need to go to said place. Lets say you wanted to get a wedding gift, while you were already out and about minding your own business, you remember your friend is having a wedding soon, so as you are walking, you stumble into a shop that catches your attention. Out of sheer spontaneity you grab something you think your friend would like, no need to go 30 mins out of your way for bed bath and beyond in that kind of instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well it's just a hypothetical. I could create unique hypotheticals to counter it, i.e. I already shopped online, I chose a different store to purchase from off-registry, etc.

I guess the point is valid that not having a car is definitely going to affect behavior, and makes you have to plan ahead a lot more as transit is less versatile and dynamic than a car usually is (unless of course you are driving in Manhattan or Central LA traffic ).
It is a valid point indeed, I do a lot of things spur of the moment, of course with work or classes those are set, but with other things, I kind of just do things on impulse. Like I don't have to be in shopping mode to shop, if something catches my eye, I may very well get it on the spot, even though I hadn't planned to spend anything at all that day.

In that kind of instance you can't really say you spent 30 minutes going out of your way to the mall, then another 15 minutes trying to find a place to eat, then oh you forgot you need to get groceries and have to go another 30 minutes out of the way. Even where I'm at now, I do things in a fashion where I don't need to zig zag all around wasting time.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Not everyone has that same kind of lifestyle being my point, or would need to go to said place. Lets say you wanted to get a wedding gift, while you were already out and about minding your own business, you remember your friend is having a wedding soon, so as you are walking, you stumble into a shop that catches your attention. Out of sheer spontaneity you grab something you think your friend would like, no need to go 30 mins out of your way for bed bath and beyond in that kind of instance.
That made me laugh out loud. Like I'm going to be walking on Dekalb Avenue and just "stumble" into the perfect gift. What fantasy urban utopia are you living in?

And who just picks up any random gift for a wedding? If the registry says "one KitchenAid Citrus Juicer," most people don't go out and grab a bottle of wine. If I say I want a KitchenAid Citrus Juicer, then dammit, somebody better bring me a KitchenAid Citrus Juicer! People ask for those things because they need them to build a home with their significant other.

And unfortunately, life sometimes requires us to travel several miles to do things. I don't care if you live in Manhattan, you will find yourself traveling several miles on any given weekend. And those several miles are undoubtedly easier to travel by car than by transit.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
But I've done both in the two top transit cities in the country. I mean, the tradeoff for not having to deal with a car (in the example I used upthread) is an additional 1 hour and 49 minutes of travel time. I guess you may not see that as a "problem," but I'd personally rather get errands done in an hour rather than three.
Quote:
How can you not see the beauty of a car here?
Because I have always planned around getting from point to point without one. Sure I know it takes less time. I see the beauty of having a car being faster and being able to spend less time traveling. But that has never been a problem for me.

Again to each their own. I sit on the bus, read look out the window or whatever. I don't need fast. So no I don't see it as a problem. Maybe if I did, I would have bought a car and used it to run my errands. That worked for you and it's fine. I will say it again, I am not aruging which way is better, I never did and never will.

I see the "beauty" in your way and in mine. Neither way is better. I just like mine better. For me.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I see the "beauty" in your way and in mine. Neither way is better. I just like mine better. For me.
You also live in a much milder climate than the East Coast. If Portland had 8 degree days in January, you'd be begging for a car.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That made me laugh out loud. Like I'm going to be walking on Dekalb Avenue and just "stumble" into the perfect gift. What fantasy urban utopia are you living in?

And who just picks up any random gift for a wedding? If the registry says "one KitchenAid Citrus Juicer," most people don't go out a grab a bottle of wine. If I say I want a KitchenAid Citrus Juicer, then dammit, somebody better bring me a KitchenAid Citrus Juicer! People ask for those things because they need them to build a home with their significant other.

And unfortunately, life sometimes requires us to travel several miles to do things. I don't care if you live in Manhattan, you will find yourself traveling several miles on any given weekend. And those several miles are undoubtedly easier to travel by car than by transit.
My friends and I aren't close to marriage, so... I've never been in that situation, nor did I know people ask for wedding gifts as if it's a Christmas list.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
My friends and I aren't close to marriage, so... I've never been in that situation, nor did I know people ask for wedding gifts as if it's a Christmas list.
Well, that explains a lot.

Just wait, my friend. Just wait.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You also live in a much milder climate than the East Coast. If Portland had 8 degree days in January, you'd be begging for a car.
How is this any different from me having to walk to classes on campus? Some days it is below zero, you can't simply drive to each class, you prepare for the weather, dress warm, wear layers of clothing.

I don't particularly enjoy cold weather, but it doesn't stop students from going to class.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
How is this any different from me having to walk to classes on campus? Some days it is below zero, you can't simply drive to each class, you prepare for the weather, dress warm, wear layers of clothing.
Because living on a relatively small college campus with limited needs is very different from living in a big city where you're on the grind every day.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Well, that explains a lot.

Just wait, my friend. Just wait.
Haha, I've got about ten years until everyone starts settling down getting married, sometimes when I have to get a gift I just give people money lol, so I don't get the wrong thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or