U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,659,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well considering I never said that and just pointed out the clearly obvious... Yeah generally the car is a freedom. Car-dependence however, is not freedom (IMO neither is transit dependence).
Relax...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,133,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Relax...
Don't worry, I'm pretty relaxed... Haven't had to drive a car in a week!

I will say there is something I enjoy about driving around my city, though I prefer when it can be done at a leisurely pace and I am don't have a destination I have to be at quickly.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,591,667 times
As far as I am concerned, anyone who does not see operating an advanced machine which can personally bring you anywhere to any destination as quickly, safely, and comfortably as possible, at any time, and by any path as a liberating and self empowering experience probably has some kind of bizarre anxiety problem and should seek help to correct it.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,116,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
should seek help to correct it.
Please help me.

Please?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, anyone who does not see operating an advanced machine which can personally bring you anywhere to any destination as quickly, safely, and comfortably as possible, at any time, and by any path as a liberating and self empowering experience probably has some kind of bizarre anxiety problem and should seek help to correct it.
I disagree. I don't have an anxiety disorder - I'm known as an "ulcer-giver" and not an "ulcer-getter", if that makes sense. I would much rather ride a train into the downtown of my city than drive the majority of the time, especially if I plan on hitting multiple spread out locations in the downtown.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,116,674 times
Quote:

"Dr. Hifi, I come to you distraught. I just do not know how to cope with my desire to travel without a car. I know that I am deviant and wicked. Please cure me of this illness Dr. Hifi!"

Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM

8,817 posts, read 10,729,607 times
the most annoying, restrictive, bothersome aspects of autos, to me are those involved with registering, maintaining, providing parking for, insuring, and, worst of all, BUYING them. When you are sitting at the show room, waiting for the "manager" to come over and discuss why your counter offer just won't work, you hardly feel "free".

To me the greatest freedom would come with having a nifty road bike, a transit pass, and a zipcar membership (assuming I lived near a zipcar location, which I do not).

Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,591,667 times
Quote:
I disagree. I don't have an anxiety disorder - I'm known as an "ulcer-giver" and not an "ulcer-getter", if that makes sense. I would much rather ride a train into the downtown of my city than drive the majority of the time, especially if I plan on hitting multiple spread out locations in the downtown.
Lets say there was an anthropomorphic train engine who lived in a track world, everything is on the track, on the scheduled, by the book. Then a wizard bestowed on him magical wheels that can drive off the track, what a great gift right? The freedom to break out and live by your own schedule and go your own way, but no, it was too much for him, too much freedom, he begged the wizard to put him back on the track. Is that you munchitup?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Lets say there was an anthropomorphic train engine who lived in a track world, everything is on the track, on the scheduled, by the book. Then a wizard bestowed on him magical wheels that can drive off the track, what a great gift right? The freedom to break out and live by your own schedule and go your own way, but no, it was too much for him, too much freedom, he begged the wizard to put him back on the track.

Again I own a car and drive at least once a week - I'm not afraid of driving just prefer to not drive. It doesn't stress me out, it's just boring and owning a car is expensive. Where I live has very congested traffic, limited parking (in places), very expensive parking, expensive insurance, a minimum of $75 a month to park it (we pay 100 for our one spot). I work at home and therefore have no commute, so why on earth would we have two cars... just to say I have one?

Simply put, I would rather spend my time and money elsewhere and on other things. I don't see what is crazy about that.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 PM

28,284 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
There does seem to be a visceral hatred displayed by some towards cars, though. It's like some people will come up with all kinds of bogus reasons to hate them.

I've always loved cars. Our advances in auto technology are far more impressive than anything we've done in terms of transit, imo. There's so little appreciation for the beauty of the engineering involved. How could you not love this?

Alfa TCT: Twin Clutch Transmission Animation - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or