U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 04:51 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,686,211 times

Advertisements

Freedom for me. I like to cruise around town if I so please or visit my parents. They don't have bus routes to my parents 25 miles away. Gas kills me, but ill gladly pay then to ride a bus and plan my daily routine around the 2:30pm bus stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I really don't think Zipcar requires much planning ahead. Maybe 10 minutes?
Depends on how close you are to a zip car and how high the ridership is in a given area. Here, there aren't a ton, so you'll usually get what you want if you make arrangements at least a few hours ahead of time (plus time required to get to the car).

Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM

862 posts, read 1,217,581 times
Freedom!

You can go where you want and when you want without having to wait on a bus or something. It's also private. The only restriction is the cost of gas but we can't have everything.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,124,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
Basically, this was from a thread in the Politics forum about 'Newspeak' (I would recomend reading that thread first) Link her: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post27924918

So what do you think, agree or disagree that car dependency is a freedom?
Its a freedom to most of the country..

Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 19,050,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Freedom!

You can go where you want and when you want without having to wait in your privacy. The only restriction is the cost of gas but we can't have everything.
And insurance. And possibly parking (depending on where you are), and possibly every once in awhile a parking ticket or speeding ticket (doesn't happen much though), and possibly once a year motor oil and windshield wiper fluid. Then of course maybe once a year you get a car checkup.

It really depends on where you are. In most US places, you absolutely need a car. In other cities, not needed. I live downtown Chicago and do I need a car? Hell ****ing no. Do I love to drive? Hell ****ing yes. But I'd rather save that money and go on amazing vacations, or go out more, see more entertainment ****, etc.

Pretend I can walk everywhere, take the train/bus everywhere. I pay $80/month for this (that's about what I pay in Chicago currently). Pretend now I buy a $3000 car, pay $50/month in insurance and pay $30/month in gas. I would literally never "break even" in my lifetime from the car versus if I didn't own it and didn't have to. This isn't even figuring in parking fees ($180/month in my building minimum) or buying motor oil or windshield wiper fluid every once in awhile. Pretend I take a few cab rides though instead, then it takes 147 months for this to even out, or 12 years and 3 months. I bet I'd be on another car by then, so..you know..

Just think of what you can do with all that saved money. You can do quite a bit. It's too bad more cities aren't as "urban." People who need to could save a lot of money and use it for other things, like vacationing in exotic places.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM

32,424 posts, read 59,932,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Pretend now I can get the car share for $20 each time I do this. That's $80/month and you're saving yourself $230/month
You forgot the monthly or annual membership fee.

I find it troubling that you don't have to have even liability insurance. I'd never get behind the wheel without it.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,437,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You forgot the monthly or annual membership fee.

I find it troubling that you don't have to have even liability insurance. I'd never get behind the wheel without it.
Monthly membership fees tend to be VERY small -- here in Minneapolis, the local option offers a $5 monthly plan, and does include liability insurance (up to a million bucks, $500 deductible). When we were in San Francisco one of the local options started at $10/month, and also have an annual membership as little as $50/yr. Not sure how much liability insurance their option included (amount of liability insurance included also varies by specific carshare company) -- but when we were non-car-owners in CA we bought a very cheap annual non-owner policy. The car share prices also include gas. Car sharing doesn't make sense if you do a lot of driving, but it's a great financial option for many of those who don't use a car for work.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,544,137 times
A car is not freedom if you're not considered a real adult without one.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,549,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
A car is not freedom if you're not considered a real adult without one.
I have seen non-car people stigmatized as "DUI".

Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM

4,153 posts, read 3,168,684 times
When I first moved to Manhattan from Queens, I ditched the car. Found it very restricting without one for three months. Got a car since. Can't be without it. I pay about $ 100/ month for insurance plus gas and service. Park on the street, just like many new $ 100k Benzes. No parking tickets for the last 6-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or