U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM

7,442 posts, read 9,877,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I have seen non-car people stigmatized as "DUI".
What's that one stand for, Lion-O?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
When I first moved to Manhattan from Queens, I ditched the car. Found it very restricting without one for three months. Got a car since. Can't be without it. I pay about $ 100/ month for insurance plus gas and service. Park on the street, just like many new $ 100k Benzes. No parking tickets for the last 6-7 years.
dealing with moving your car for street cleaning sounds like a giant time suck in Manhattan and frustrating. Seems easier to rent when you need. Not just a Benz, someone was stupid enough to street park a Bentley in a hurricane flood zone:

Hurricane Sandy: A Bentley Underwater! - Business Insider

or your car gets iced:

East Village man needs blowtorch, hammer, chisel to get inside his iced-over car - NYPOST.com

Unusual excuse for being late for work.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,997 posts, read 5,723,583 times
i say restriction.. i wish there was more options for walking or mass transit

Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
What's that one stand for, Lion-O?

I guess they assume that if you don't have a car or drive one, you had one (or more) Driving Under the Influence charges (or Driving While INtoxicated)...your license was either suspended or taken away permanently.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I guess they assume that if you don't have a car or drive one, you had one (or more) Driving Under the Influence charges (or Driving While INtoxicated)...your license was either suspended or taken away permanently.

I try to explain to them that I am into heroin, not some lowly gutter juice drunk

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM

8,335 posts, read 9,794,366 times
Both. The freedom it allows me is worth the dependency. I could not be dependent upon a car, but I'd lose far too much freedom to do what I like when I like to justify it.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,603,720 times
Just goes to stand if you haven't read 1984, brave new world etc then you are not fit to live in this world.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,819,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agreed. Car shares are great for that.

Example) So I need to go once a week to this far away area let's say that just absolutely sucks for public transit. So let's say I own a car for this reason. I'm paying $200/month in a payment let's say. $80/month for insurance. Let's say $30/month for gas. That is $310/month. Pretend now I can get the car share for $20 each time I do this. That's $80/month and you're saving yourself $230/month...this isn't even counting parking fees for wherever.
That's quite a "pretend", since ZipCar rates in my area are $9.00/hour -- and that's for weekdays only. Weekends will cost you $13.75/hour. Hope you just have to run out to that faraway place and run back, because if you're spending any time there it's going to cost you.

Quote:
Now you've saved yourself $2760 per year by not owning a car because you understand there's a cheaper option out there and you won't be using your car much more for that. Just think about what you can do with $2760 per year extra.
Pay for your transit pass?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
^^Also, $30/mo for gas (as the poster you were responding to assumed), will get you 600 miles at 20 mpg. So this place you have to go once a week is 75 miles away (150 RT X 4 weeks), farther if you get better gas mileage. Maybe if you live in Denver and you go skiing every weekend.

You have to pay for parking and tolls if you use zipcar, as well, no?.

I like this from the eGo website (a non-profit car share service in Denver):

What if I have an emergency and need a car right away?
If you have a health-related emergency you’ll most likely be seeking the help of emergency personnel and driving will not be an option. Also, ask yourself what would you do if you have an emergency and your car won’t start? In dire emergencies you have friends, family or neighbors to call upon; that’s your community. You are welcome to check to see if our vehicles are available as well. Our automated phone system and mobile website let you make reservations “on the spot,” provided the vehicle is available.

http://carshare.org/what-carsharing

Untrue that you usually have to take the EMS for a health-related emergency. I/family members have had several emergencies (broken foot, DH X 2; severely cut hand, DD; some others that I can't remember the details of right now) and we've never called the EMS. And their solution if you don't want to call (and pay for) the EMS? BORROW SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR!

Here are their prices for a "normal" late-model car:

$25 to join and:
$4.00/hr + .30/mi or $65/da

OR

$0 to join and:
$4.50/hr + .30/mi or $75/day

They charge $1 hr overnight (11 PM- 6 AM) for some of the cars.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-02-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Also, $30/mo for gas (as the poster you were responding to assumed), will get you 600 miles at 20 mpg. So this place you have to go once a week is 75 miles away (150 RT X 4 weeks), farther if you get better gas mileage. Maybe if you live in Denver and you go skiing every weekend.
Math correction. 30 gallons / month @ 20 mpg will get you 600 miles. But $30 / month, being generous and assuming 25 mpg and $3/gallon is 250 miles / month. If you're driving once a week, that'd be to a place about 31 miles away. Not exactly far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or