Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
does it have A/C?
Yes, thankfully. The one it replaced didn't though.

It does have power steering. I missed that the first time around. Though my favorite car was an '88 VW without a/c, power steering, or a fifth gear. It was a hoot to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
The last time I bought a car, 2002, I looked around for a car with power-nothing.
One dealer I called, I asked for a 'fleet car'-- 4speed, Rubber mats, roll-up windows, nothing except a motor, tires and steering wheel.
The salesman just laughed. I see there is a SMART car model like that, but at the price they are asking, I will stay with my bicycle for now

Old 01-27-2013, 04:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Yes, thankfully. The one it replaced didn't though.

It does have power steering. I missed that the first time around. Though my favorite car was an '88 VW without a/c, power steering, or a fifth gear. It was a hoot to drive
Be hard to manage in B'more w/o A/C, esp. if you have to drive during the day, say from 4AM to 12 MN or thereabouts.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Why do you think about every TV has a remote control? And years ago even driving required more physical effort. In fact my first car had stick shift (three on a tree) manual steering and manual windows.
I drive a stick. I hardly think the automatic transmission or the electric window (awfully handy -- and safer! -- when you want to open or close the windows while driving) as the downfall of human civilization.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Be hard to manage in B'more w/o A/C, esp. if you have to drive during the day, say from 4AM to 12 MN or thereabouts.
It is truly awful. I rode air conditioned transit more often back then in summer.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
The last time I bought a car, 2002, I looked around for a car with power-nothing.
One dealer I called, I asked for a 'fleet car'-- 4speed, Rubber mats, roll-up windows, nothing except a motor, tires and steering wheel.
The salesman just laughed. I see there is a SMART car model like that, but at the price they are asking, I will stay with my bicycle for now
A 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 pickup with standard cab is my daily driver.

[fits your requirement to the 'T']

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
JFC.. "car dependent" describes a condition that requires a car. How would you describe such a condition?

There is absolutely nothing contradictory about that description.
The description of owning a car as car dependent is neurotic.

You have the freedom to live your life as you please.
If you by choose live in a location that requires a car, and you consider that a dependency, that is neurotic.

In fact; it is my car which allows me the freedom to live at a distance to the city which increases my living standard.
If I considered owning a car detrimental to my lifestyle I would as it is my option to do live where I did not need one.

By your line of reasoning everything which sustains or that you choose to own in order to improve the quality of life is a dependency.
This is typical of the kind of neurotic, dependent, victim mindset that permeates society today, and is why we have half the population looking for the government for a hand out instead of being self-sufficient.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
sustains or that you choose to own in order to improve the quality of life is a dependency.
This is typical of the kind of neurotic, dependent, victim mindset that permeates society today, and is why we have half the population looking for the government for a hand out instead of being self-sufficient.

Do you pay 100% for the roads in which you drive? Is your fuel unsubsidized? If not, you may be the recipient of a "handout"

Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
The car is definitely a freedom. Without one, I'd be at the mercy of public transportation schedules and routes, making it highly inconvenient to get where I need to go when I need to get there quickly. With a car I can hop in at any time of the day and go straight to where I need to go much faster and easier than trying to wait for a bus, then go somewhere out of the way and then wait for a connection to another route to go where I need to go.
And I love going sight seeing or hiking to areas outside of the city on many weekends, often into the mountains- there is essentially no public transport to those kinds of places, so I'd be stuck in the city without the option to go to those places without a car. So the car= TONS OF FREEDOM

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The description of owning a car as car dependent is neurotic.

You have the freedom to live your life as you please.
If you by choose live in a location that requires a car, and you consider that a dependency, that is neurotic.

In fact; it is my car which allows me the freedom to live at a distance to the city which increases my living standard.
If I considered owning a car detrimental to my lifestyle I would as it is my option to do live where I did not need one.

By your line of reasoning everything which sustains or that you choose to own in order to improve the quality of life is a dependency.
I see your POV, but the big issue is that if you design society around the auto you then exclude other transpotation options. Some people are more self-sufficient than others in certain areas b/c they have made lifestyle choices based on their belief systems. I for example don't think the environmental and security issues raised by protecting petroleum production are worth the costs. Not to mention that assuming there will always been cheap energy to sustain your lifestyle is only looking at the near-term.

And we do silly things to cultivate car culture like this from Ireland:

"KERRY COUNTY COUNCILLORS have voted in favour of a motion which would allow people in rural Ireland to have ‘two or three’ drinks and still drive. The motion put forward by councillor Danny Healy-Rae calls on the Minister for Justice to allow Gardaí to issue permits to people in the most isolated parts of the country to allow them to drive after drinking some alcohol.

Kerry councillors back plan to allow drink-driving ‘in moderation’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning