U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 AM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times

Advertisements

So they voted for a motion which would allow people to do that which is already legal? Government for you, unless "two or three" really means two or three times as much as it does here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
So they voted for a motion which would allow people to do that which is already legal? Government for you, unless "two or three" really means two or three times as much as it does here?
Drink driving limits are lower there:

The current maximum blood-alcohol level is 50mg per 100ml of blood for most drivers and 20mg for learner and professional drivers. Although it varies depending on driver, this is roughly equivalent to less than one pint of beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 AM

6,797 posts, read 6,319,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I see your POV, but the big issue is that if you design society around the auto you then exclude other transpotation options. Some people are more self-sufficient than others in certain areas b/c they have made lifestyle choices based on their belief systems. I for example don't think the environmental and security issues raised by protecting petroleum production are worth the costs. Not to mention that assuming there will always been cheap energy to sustain your lifestyle is only looking at the near-term.

And we do silly things to cultivate car culture like this from Ireland:

"KERRY COUNTY COUNCILLORS have voted in favour of a motion which would allow people in rural Ireland to have ‘two or three’ drinks and still drive. The motion put forward by councillor Danny Healy-Rae calls on the Minister for Justice to allow Gardaí to issue permits to people in the most isolated parts of the country to allow them to drive after drinking some alcohol.

Kerry councillors back plan to allow drink-driving ‘in moderation’
Society is designed to accomodate the wishes of consumer. I have an old friend who decided early in life to live within the city of San Francisco because limitation in sight made driving impossible.
The mass trasit system worked for them and thats great.
I on the other hand chose to live in the mountains and commute in order to enjoy the country lifestyle.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:36 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The description of owning a car as car dependent is neurotic.

This is typical of the kind of neurotic, dependent, victim mindset that permeates society today, and is why we have half the population looking for the government for a hand out instead of being self-sufficient.
wow, hyperbole much? how did we get on this topic? i hear this crap all the time, "half the population......." talk about neurotic! this isn't even supportable by any sort of shred of evidence. and its inclusion in this argument is just......neurotic?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
this is a very good and interesting OP
having lived many years over seas i am tempted to see the car as a burden, costs lots of money in upkeep and insurance and purchase.
the reason i dont ride a bike or walk is bek i dont like being mugged.
if it were not for the lack of safety of our streets and public transport, i would sell my car tomarrow.
unfortunately ACLU says cleaning up the streets is racial oppression. so we continue to drive our steel cages untouched by the mean streets.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times
One good example is how people see it in some places that truly have good public transportation. My wife's parents, brother, and sister live in China, in a large modern city there that has great bus and subway service to get pretty much anywhere in the city. However now that they can afford it they are buying cars as well, because they see that as more freedom to go where they want when they want. Sure they have trains and busses they could use at any time, and traffic there is a mess due to being such a massive city, but they feel the ultimate freedom is to have a car.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,319,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
wow, hyperbole much? how did we get on this topic? i hear this crap all the time, "half the population......." talk about neurotic! this isn't even supportable by any sort of shred of evidence. and its inclusion in this argument is just......neurotic?

49.1%: Percent of the population that lives in a household where at least one member received some type of government benefit in the first quarter of 2011.
The 49.1% of the population in a household that gets benefits is up from 30% in the early 1980s and 44.4% as recently as the third quarter of 2008.

Wall Street Journal
May 26, 2012

Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Drink driving limits are lower there:

The current maximum blood-alcohol level is 50mg per 100ml of blood for most drivers and 20mg for learner and professional drivers. Although it varies depending on driver, this is roughly equivalent to less than one pint of beer.
Which is quite close to .05 BAC. A typical man could shotgun two drinks, wait just long enough for the alcohol to fully enter the blood stream and then rush for his car and be around that level. Since we're talking about socializing at pubs, one assumes that people don't rush in order, order a pint, slam it down, and rush out the door. Even if he did, two drinks would not likely be over the legal limit so "having two" in that fashion would still be legal. It's more likely they're staying for an hour or two enjoying their two or three drinks.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

I dont hate cars either, but we as Americans are very lazy. To accommodate our lazy and irresponsible habits, the religion of car culture has been allowed to fester into a monster and be a profoundly negative effect in almost every aspect of our society.
I don't think it's so much that. Where are you going to walk to living in Marietta, Georgia? Most people live in places like that, not cutesy streetcar suburbs with farmer's markets and transit options nearby. Driving is a necessity for most people.

But even in every other place that's not Manhattan, people drive because it's crazy efficient. Just running a few routine errands in Washington, DC could take the better part of your day while the same tasks could be accomplished by car within an hour. And we're talking about what is probably the second best transit city in America! I can't even imagine what it would be like to try to use the more limited transit in other cities.

Not everyone wants to burn up a whole Saturday afternoon riding buses and trains.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,111,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
49.1%: Percent of the population that lives in a household where at least one member received some type of government benefit in the first quarter of 2011.
The 49.1% of the population in a household that gets benefits is up from 30% in the early 1980s and 44.4% as recently as the third quarter of 2008.

Wall Street Journal
May 26, 2012
What an unbiased source... Is this from Karl Rove's opinion column?

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/...ting-benefits/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or