Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
EDIT: It's 4:00 and driving from DTLA to my apartment is 30 minutes (to go 6 miles) and transit is 32 minutes. I am willing to bet that in the next hour and a half that drive time doubles.
It's 4:41 Pacific Time.

Driving time from DTLA to Hollywood - 19 minutes

Transit time from DTLA to Hollywood - 40 minutes

Go cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know, just thought I'd bring it up. Most people would not realize that.
Well, I realize that. That's why I always compare travel times between points of equal distance. How could it be a fair comparison otherwise?

Quote:
Yes but all the freeways go through DTLA, causing congestion.
I'm sure you have a lot of people like Lovehound and Katenik who don't even have to come close to DTLA when going to work. That's part of the reason why LA has lower commute times than its EC counterparts.

Quote:
Say what you want, but my wife does that trip every day. The days she takes the subway for some reason she magically gets home a half hour faster....
And that's her specific situation. All I know is that traffic.com puts the driving commute from Downtown LA to Hollywood at 12 minutes. Google Maps has it at 20. And Google Maps puts the transit commute at 40.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM

I've honestly never understood the big gripe about L.A. traffic. I mean, if the commute times are shorter than Boston's, then what's the big deal?

The worst traffic in the country, imo, is the stretch of I-95 between Richmond and Washington, DC. That is 90 miles of 8 lane traffic that's pure hell.

The second worse stretch of traffic is from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to I-95 in Prince George's County.

The third worst stretch of traffic is I-95 crossing the George Washington Bridge in Washington Heights, Manhattan.

I think DC gets hammered the worst because it gets the entire EC's traffic.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM

5:07 p.m. Pacific Time

Driving time from Downtown Los Angeles to Hollywood - 18 minutes

Transit time from Downtown Los Angeles to Hollywood - 40 minutes

You could probably stop at an In 'N Out Burger on the way home and still beat transit!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
5:07 p.m. Pacific Time

Driving time from Downtown Los Angeles to Hollywood - 18 minutes

Transit time from Downtown Los Angeles to Hollywood - 40 minutes

You could probably stop at an In 'N Out Burger on the way home and still beat transit!
That's cool, right now for me it is 27 minutes transit 22 minutes driving - a little while ago they were even. So I was wrong about it doubling up by 5:30. She's driving today so I'll have to see how long it takes her to get here, maybe she is just exaggerating her drive times (wouldn't be a shocker).

Not sure what you are trying to prove, there is no doubt that driving is more efficient in Los Angeles and just about everywhere, and I never indicated otherwise. Typically in my wife's experience the transit commute is shorter on the way home than the drive. It is usually longer on the way there, traffic for some reason is lighter going into the city in the morning.

I'm still standing by Los Angeles having worse traffic than Boston. I've only experienced DC traffic twice and yes both times it was awful and pretty close to LA level (one time was with a person on their commute home from DT DC to Alexandria). I could see how it has worse traffic.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I'm still standing by Los Angeles having worse traffic than Boston. I've only experienced DC traffic twice and yes both times it was awful and pretty close to LA level (one time was with a person on their commute home from DT DC to Alexandria). I could see how it has worse traffic.
I was thinking more about traffic in the core. I have not experienced much of Boston outside of Cambridge, Back Bay, the South End, Roxbury and Dorchester. Those are the parts I'm most familiar with.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
What nobody mentioned yet is you can rent a car the few times you need one and probably come out cheaper than car payments and maintenance, though you still need to pay for gas. For some transit-bountiful cities there are even hourly rentals. Doesn't work well, though, if you lost your license for drunk driving. Such behavior is not legal here, and I hope it never is.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What nobody mentioned yet is you can rent a car the few times you need one and probably come out cheaper than car payments and maintenance, though you still need to pay for gas. For some transit-bountiful cities there are even hourly rentals. Doesn't work well, though, if you lost your license for drunk driving. Such behavior is not legal here, and I hope it never is.
There are now rentals by the minute: https://www.car2go.com

Parking and fuel included in your $.38/minute.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What nobody mentioned yet is you can rent a car the few times you need one and probably come out cheaper than car payments and maintenance
Renting a car is expensive and takes a lot of time. It makes sense for very occasional use only.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Renting a car is expensive and takes a lot of time. It makes sense for very occasional use only.
Not if you subscribe to ZipCar or some other car sharing program. Of course they are in limited locations and can be cost-prohibitive for some, but seem to be cheaper / easier than the standard car rental. But honestly I have no idea because I am not a member But my wife went on a day trip with someone who was a member when we were in Boston, said it was really easy for her friend to pick up the car and return it and all of that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning