U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,099,778 times

Advertisements

All no except for Trappe. It seems pretty new and everything looks the same. I think the term came about to describe Levittown-type suburbs. As time wears on and houses are altered, painted, etc. the cookie cutter appearance diminishes, IMO. That is of course unless there's an HOA or some other decree that ensures the place will look exactly like its neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
All no except for Trappe. It seems pretty new and everything looks the same. I think the term came about to describe Levittown-type suburbs. As time wears on and houses are altered, painted, etc. the cookie cutter appearance diminishes, IMO. That is of course unless there's an HOA or some other decree that ensures the place will look exactly like its neighbors.
Even StuyTown is no?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,752 times
Quote:
Good point about the HOAs blocking, or trying to block, changes in properties. HOAs have often been overzealous about this stuff.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Even StuyTown is no?
I missed that one the first time. It's yes.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
That is of course unless there's an HOA or some other decree that ensures the place will look exactly like its neighbors.
There must be an HOA that decrees every place must be different I lived in a college where the money was donated by a wealthy heiress who stipulated that no two rooms could be alike. It make things more interesting but the sizes weren't always that practical.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There must be an HOA that decrees every place must be different I lived in a college where the money was donated by a wealthy heiress who stipulated that no two rooms could be alike. It make things more interesting but the sizes weren't always that practical.
Enforced individualism? An interesting idea.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Like everything, it depends on your definition of "cookie cutter". (Don't everyone groan at once, please, with me and my definitions!)

Does "cookie cutter" mean exactly alike? Or does it mean, having the same "bones", but being different colors, different landscaping, slightly different features such as one car-1 1/2 car-two car garages, different roof lines, etc? Our first house was in a subdivision that had four models, all with endless options. I do not think there were any two houses that were exactly alike there. However, they all did sort of look alike, even though they were of different heights, e.g. bilevels, trilevels and ranches. In most cities you can tell how old the houses are by what style of house is there. They are "alike but different".

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like everything, it depends on your definition of "cookie cutter". (Don't everyone groan at once, please, with me and my definitions!)
No groaning, I agree that and people aren't to going agree on which of the definition below.

Quote:
Does "cookie cutter" mean exactly alike? Or does it mean, having the same "bones", but being different colors, different landscaping, slightly different features such as one car-1 1/2 car-two car garages, different roof lines, etc? Our first house was in a subdivision that had four models, all with endless options. I do not think there were any two houses that were exactly alike there. However, they all did sort of look alike, even though they were of different heights, e.g. bilevels, trilevels and ranches. In most cities you can tell how old the houses are by what style of house is there. They are "alike but different".
I would take cookie cutter to mean exactly alike or very close to it. Some houses, both old and new, would fit that.

Old working-class rowhouse neighborhoods of London are more cookie-cutter than that Philly view in the OP. Or this street, which has a section of nearly identical houses, but often with slight detail difference or colors and then something different then another section:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Park+...311.11,,0,2.46

so not as cookie-cutter.

Old city commercial streets can also be more or less cookie cutter; London seems to be more so than American cities. Look at this one in NYC:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Court...7,,0,0.75&z=15

and one in London:

File:Muswell hill broadway.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the London may actually be slightly newer, unsure.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They are "alike but different".
I think our definitions of cookie-cutter might be similar. Just having the same structure painted a different color is enough for me to avoid the label.

I think older project housing is usually the worst offender of cookie cutter:

baltimore and central baltimore - Google Maps Projects in E. Balto. Note the inward-facing design (side note: why? To hide its occupants? For the purpose of creating common areas of interaction? I find it interesting).

brooklyn homes - Google Maps

Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
I did not intend to give a definition, I just wanted to get people thinking about what they mean by "cookie cutter".

Here is my old neighborhood:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...d=0CIkBEPwSMAc

Play around and you can see some of the houses, mainly to the north of the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or