Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

The market drives what is feasible and what is not in a city or region. Can a realistic urbanity test be taken based on the market for major grocery stores with apartments above them versus the suburban format? Cities where grocery stores are common on the first floor of apartment buildings is one of the most valid arguments for urbanity. This is especially true when considering the structurally built environment building density (closeness of buildings) in a city.

How would you rank the top five cites with them? Please only use major grocery stores versus small neighborhood markets. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I love the concept. The only way to have a successful downtown urban core is to get people to live in downtown. Having a grocery store in downtown neighborhoods is absolutely essential to drawing a residential appeal. Seattle and Portland have built a whole bunch of these in the last 15 years (including Safeway, QFC, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods) usually with parking below, 1st level grocery, and 2-3 levels of residential units above. Albuqueruque is doing this and just had a bid on a retailor to occupy the space recently (http://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerq....html?page=all). I'm really happy about this because our downtown is pretty weak. A grocery store to walk to is a key companant to havng an appealing and walkable neighbohood or in the OP's terms, passes the test of true urbanity.

No need to narrow it down to the top five cities though. Instead expand the discussion, the concept is healthy and essential and I'd like to see it more common in many other city's urban cores.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-27-2013 at 10:33 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I love the concept. The only way to have a successful downtown urban core is to get people to live in downtown. Having a grocery store in downtown neighborhoods is absolutely essential to drawing a residential appeal. Seattle and Portland have built a whole bunch of these in the last 15 years usually with parking below, 1st level grocery, and 2-3 levels of residential units above. Albuqueruque is doing this and just had a bid on a retailor to occupy the space recently which I'm really happy about because our downtown is pretty weak. A grocery store to walk to is a key companant to havng an appealing and walkable neighbohood.

Very true, I think population density has alot to do with this because without enough people to shop at the stores, they are doomed to fail. It's kind of a chicken and egg problem too because people don't want to move to an area without ammenties like a grocery store, but you need to people to have a successful store. This is why I think it's a good idea to build them at the same time. It's probably the number one way to make them successful.

I don't really know much about how much this concept has caught on in cities around the nation. That's why I would be interested in hearing what cities people know of where this is already or is beginning to be prevalent. It's a great anchor for urban developments.

I would say the top five cities are:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Washington D.C. (will pass Chicago next year)
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-27-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
absolute list:

New York
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
Philadelphia

Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
D.C is NOT as urban or dense as Boston, and Philadphia. Nor does it look as tho...

Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM

214 posts, read 410,312 times
I think DC does a good job of carrying this concept throughout the entire region. However, I agree with Boston (for sure) being slightly behind NY and Chicago. I would like to believe that it's all relative after the top two but I really think it becomes a matter of preference and interpretation vs data.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I'm curious how common grocery stores without their own parking is in cities.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
absolute list:

New York
Chicago
San Francisco
Boston
Philadelphia
Probably this.
One city that might be overlooked here is New Orleans. Lots of ground floor grocery stores in the Vieux Carre and Downtown.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
In this Brooklyn street, the supermarket is the only one story building:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...2,339.56,,0,-1

no parking. and next block over, supermarket is the only one story building. this one has parking:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...281.98,,0,7.71

another pedestrian friendly design displaying fruit at the sidewalk level:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...77.89,,0,17.52

again the local supermarket is one of the few 1 story buildings. this one also has no parking:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=super...353.29,,0,-0.8

Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I think Seattle and Portland are prime examples of smart new urban developments incorporating grocery and residential together. Here are some poignant examples...

- Trader Joes in Seattle that has retail on the ground level, three levels of residential above and there is a parking structure below....
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Seatt...,5.5,,0,-11.48

- Mixed use urban development in Seattle with some mid-rise residential towers, a hotel, some office space, and at ground level a Whole Foods...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Seatt...1,,0,1.17&z=18

- Safeway in downtown Portland, OR, ground level retail, connected to mid rise residential and parking facility...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Portl...253.87,,0,2.42

- Whole Foods in Pearl District of Portland, OR
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Whole...273.7,,0,-1.64

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-27-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning