Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Question for you?

How is talking about grocery stores with apartments above them boosting D.C.? This is going to be good.
Because every thread you create, your city has it. If your city doesn't have it, you will NOT post it. Plus, just judging by a lot of the comments and the little side comment (It's going to past Chicago next year) tells me you did this so that more people are aware how urban D.C. is becoming. It's easy to see it with the pattern of threads you've create lol. People aren't that stupid. Other people have brought up the same point in this thread.

Anyways, since, I don't want to go COMPLETELY off-topic.

Here is a publix in Midtown Atlanta that is zero lot an attached to apartment towers.

Midtown urban Publix

Surprisingly, for a city that is suburban by nature, this is very convenient for those living in the Midtown area, though they probably need a few more stores since Midtown is pretty big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because every thread you create, your city has it. If your city doesn't have it, you will NOT post it. Plus, just judging by a lot of the comments and the little side comment (It's going to past Chicago next year) tells me you did this so that more people are aware how urban D.C. is becoming. It's easy to see it with the pattern of threads you've create lol. People aren't that stupid. Other people have brought up the same point in this thread.

Anyways, since, I don't want to go COMPLETELY off-topic.

Here is a publix in Midtown Atlanta that is zero lot an attached to apartment towers.

Midtown urban Publix

Surprisingly, for a city that is suburban by nature, this is very convenient for those living in the Midtown area, though they probably need a few more stores since Midtown is pretty big.
Couple thing,

-I only talk about development on this site. I couldn't care less about the other random topics people talk about on here

-I discuss things that pertain to the built environment like buildings, transportation, parks and recreation. I don't care to discuss things that don't have one of these things.

-I read many threads on here but don't just post willy nilly like many of you in every thread even when you possess very little knowledge about the topic

-DC along with about 5 other cities in America possess all the things I have mentioned so DC along with those five cities will be included in any and every urban planning topic at the very least as a reference.

-It's amazing to me when I see posters from LA post every single building, transit project, infrastructure project, etc. etc. and no one says they are boosting. Or Philly posters give us a run down of everything being built in Philly over the next 20 years, but they aren't boosting.

Let me ask you, is NYC boosting if there is a thread asking what the most urban city is or what city has the best restaurants or which city has the best transit system? I have seen many threads like that and I can't think of one time where someone said something as asinine as what you have in this thread.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
\

Let me ask you, is NYC boosting if there is a thread asking what the most urban city is or what city has the best restaurants or which city has the best transit system? I have seen many threads like that and I can't think of one time where someone said something as asinine as what you have in this thread.
Definitely boosting, however, I don't really see this often from NYC posters mainly because they don't need to boost. They KNOW they have the best city in this country in regards to urban features BY FAR. NYC will NEVER be challenged by any city in this entire country in centuries.

Let's stop with the charades. Some of the threads you do post are self-serving that are outside of the Washington D.C. forum. Many of them start with D.C. and what is has or what it will have as an example, then ask people the thread question. You want people to add your city name to their lists so that you can make yourself feel good. If people don't add your city or add a city you don't agree with above D.C., you generally question why. You believe because you're an urban planner, your opinion just holds so much more meaning and value over other people when in the end, it's an opinion.

Who cares what L.A. people have to say. They can contribute just as much as you. It's a forum after all. If they end up posting incorrect information, they will likely be called out and ignored.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Definitely boosting, however, I don't really see this often from NYC posters mainly because they don't need to boost. They KNOW they have the best city in this country in regards to urban features BY FAR. NYC will NEVER be challenged by any city in this entire country in centuries.

Let's stop with the charades. Some of the threads you do post are self-serving that are outside of the Washington D.C. forum. Many of them start with D.C. and what is has or what it will have as an example, then ask people the thread question. You want people to add your city name to their lists so that you can make yourself feel good. If people don't add your city or add a city you don't agree with above D.C., you generally question why. You believe because you're an urban planner, your opinion just holds so much more meaning and value over other people when in the end, it's an opinion.

Who cares what L.A. people have to say. They can contribute just as much as you. It's a forum after all. If they end up posting incorrect information, they will likely be called out and ignored.
I guess by posting the examples of ground-floor grocery stores with apartments above, just as the OP specifically asks for, I am boosting Los Angeles.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I guess by posting the examples of ground-floor grocery stores with apartments above, just as the OP specifically asks for, I am boosting Los Angeles.
Does the Manhattan housing project example boost New York?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Well I searched in Chicago and most didn't have apartment's above them. There were actually barely any. Most were small corner store mart's which most cities have.
I'm pretty certain Chicago has more than 10 grocery stores with office/apartments above.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I'm pretty certain Chicago has more than 10 grocery stores with office/apartments above.
Keep in mind we are talking about large 40,000+ sq. foot stores versus neighborhood small format grocery/corner stores. All major urban cities have those.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Keep in mind we are talking about large 40,000+ sq. foot stores versus neighborhood small format grocery/corner stores. All major urban cities have those.
I'm not sure how large a 40k sq foot store is, but if its Trader Joe's size, then yeah, I think Chicago has at least 10, if not a few more.

Just by memory:
2 Trader Joes
2 Whole Foods
3 Dominicks (Safeway)
1 Jewel-Osco (Supervalu)
1 City Target
1 Neighborhood Walmart
1 Marianos
1 Treasure Island
1 Aldis
I think Potash Brothers would count too.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 01-28-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Can a realistic urbanity test be taken based on the market for major grocery stores with apartments above them versus the suburban format? Cities where grocery stores are common on the first floor of apartment buildings is one of the most valid arguments for urbanity.

Thoughts?
Q. #1: No
Q. #2: I think this is a fallacious argument for "urbanity". Just what the H*ll is "urbanity" anyway? What is the validity of that argument?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-28-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Cities where grocery stores are common on the first floor of apartment buildings is one of the most valid arguments for urbanity.
Lol.

Thanks for telling us what the means test is for "urbanity".

Ground floor grocery stores.

Not transit, cultural offerings, density, etc.... but.... grocery stores below apartments.

Perhaps you should put Saratoga Springs NY on your "urbanity" list:

The region’s first ‘urban-model’ grocery store - Places and Spaces - timesunion.com - Albany NY

How about St. Louis?

Central West End to get new apartments and a Whole Foods grocery : Stltoday

Maybe Oklahoma City...

Native Roots grocery prepares to open in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce area | NewsOK.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning