U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,895,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
In my neck of the woods we have an established mall (Glendale Galleria) that fought like hell against a new "lifestyle center" opening across the street (the Americana at Brand). It was a nasty political fight between the owners of the Galleria and the developer of the Americana (who also built the Grove in LA) and the voters ultimately decided the issue (Americana was barely approved).

The interesting thing that happened is that the Americana has actually stimulated traffic at both malls, with lots of people walking across the street to go from one to the other. The Americana poached the Nordstroms from the Galleria, but a Bloomingdales is taking its place. The Galleria is now going through a complete renovation from its previous 80s era tackiness.

There are even Apple Stores in both malls, across the street from each other.

The mall didn't die but actually is making itself better when forced to deal with the Lifestyle Center competition.
There are a couple things that save malls....high end department stores and movie theaters.

Regarding the malls in my county....originally we had the enclosed mall and a little outlet center out in a rural small town.

When the enclosed mall shut down and the little outlet center collapsed because those small outlet centers with no tourism don't last.

In the 90s, we got a new outlet mall in my current town and then that outlet mall expanded because there was no competition. It's a beach town, wealthy people live here, and the location along the freeway was great and the outlet mall has a Coffee Bean and McDonald's. During Black Friday and peak hours during tourist season it's a booming outlet mall.

I think many malls not in freeway locations risk being hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city
I think it's not that the malls changed the community, but the communities changed the mall.
I think its because of all the crap made now NO ONE WANTS!!!!! (Cheaply made trash that doesnt look/feel good)

Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 PM

151 posts, read 114,425 times
One of the malls closest to me (the Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach) is a poor mall and dying because there are better malls and not much inside that mall. Although in the past few months major renovations around the mall (inside and out) have been happening, so maybe things are getting better. The Seminole Town Centre Mall (in Sanford) is dying because people are driving to malls closer to and in Orlando where there are bigger and better stores.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,904,920 times
One of our malls is dying because outdoor shopping venues are the current fad.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:48 PM

4,944 posts, read 7,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
One of our malls is dying because outdoor shopping venues are the current fad.
In areas with good weather I don't think well designed outdoor malls and lifestyle centers are not going to be considered a fad, they are here to stay. The established outdoor malls here have continually upgraded and kept up maintenance and are still very popular, they are helped by wealthy Mexicans that are easy to spot overloaded with shopping bags. In newer suburbs the lifestyle centers are also doing well.

A few months ago I was waiting as my car was getting serviced in an inland city here and wandered into the indoor mall there just to check things out and was pretty shocked at how desolate and run down it was. It was far from a comfortable environment that one would want to spend much time spending money in that's for sure.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Was murdered ... Police think it was Amazon but can not prove it.

Actually there are plans in my county to build a new big lifestyle center, but been 5? year since they last talked about it. There was talk of making condo/town houses, office space on that land now.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Our mall had a tough time during the recession, but it's bouncing back, S-L-O-W-L-Y! The major dept. stores are still there, plus Old Navy, etc.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 984,624 times
Marley Station mall here in Glen Burnie started dying once department store Hecht's was replaced with Boscov's. About 2 years later, Boscov's went out of business, and so the mall lost one of its 4 anchors.

The space is now leased by AiNet, a data center. They made a bid to buy the whole mall 2 years ago, but they were turned down. The mall is slowly getting more stores, but they really need more national brands as opposed to some of the junk stores in there.

There have been many rumors about the mall closing and being replaced with strip malls or apartments, but none have been true, especially the luxury apartment rumors. There's just no market for them here.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 PM

3,295 posts, read 2,324,870 times
Walmart moves in. Some stores in malls will close up. Happens everywhere. Walmart buys at such large volumes. They can sell it cheaper then most small stores can buy the items. Most are cheap junk items, but thats what sells.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
One of the Atlanta Area Malls that lost both of (it had 2) anchor stores, One of became a Call Center, the other Anchor Became a Event Center. The food court seem to be doing ok, but there are almost no interior stores. A few that cater to the People working there, Some have been made into Small professional offices, Doctors, Lawyers, etc. But still alot of empty space.

Another mall is being mostly removed the "middle" is being rebuilt into Move Studio production space, the Anchors are being re-fitted as part of the Studio complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning