U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM

8,810 posts, read 10,715,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At least to her first-hand knowledge, yes.
how about MY first person knowledge?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Btw, if you look carefully at the link, it was mostly a media creation. Only a few scientists mentioned cooling, most weren't very certain. And the graph at the top shows that in the 70s the numbers of cooling papers were dwarfed by the warming ones.

but its been repeated so many times since, by folks like George Will, people probably remember it as a bigger deal than it was.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,115,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At least to her first-hand knowledge, yes.
What she said was completely irrelevant. I made a point that global warming is something that has recently come to the forefront of our awareness. In fact the global cooling statement makes more point even more valid - young people have never had these conflicting messages, so perhaps that is why it is less of a challenge vs completely changing habits.

There are statistics that fly in the face of the anecdotal evidence being presented, which is weak at best.

Denigrating other generations is a definite stereotype of Baby Boomers. Guess it is true.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Denigrating other generations is a definite stereotype of Baby Boomers. Guess it is true.
generalization.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
generalization.
Huh? Are you correcting me for using the word "stereotype" incorrectly or saying what I said was a generalization? I definitely don't actually think that, I was just being a jerk.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I suppose I should bow down to the superior old person?

It's the same thing with the 'bumming a ride' accusation. Just because you know a couple lazy leaches doesn't mean an entire generation is that way.

http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/fil...on%20vUS_0.pdf

It may not be strictly or even foremost for environmental reasons, but it is a fact that younger people are driving less and less every year, as is just about everyone.
I have never said anything about anyone's age on here, even the 19 year old who posts here. I think everyone's contributions are good, but I for one learned a long time ago that not everyone's opinion is equal. This isn't a discussion about whether red is a prettier color than blue.

As far as "bumming rides", I believe Ohiogirl81 knows whereof she speaks. I have read many a "frugal living" website and blog, they all talk about borrow, borrow, borrow. Not rent, rent, rent, or the like. I have been appalled at some of the suggestions frugal livers have. Absolute mooching in some cases.

The last time this came up, I reposted some posts from other forums where people said just that, the way to live w/o a car is to know someone who has one. Of course, those were shot down as "irrelevant" and "anecdotal". I have also known people IRL who are constantly borrowing, borrowing, borrowing, and I'm not talking about a cup of sugar, or asking for a a ride in an emergency.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The last time this came up, I reposted some posts from other forums where people said just that, the way to live w/o a car is to know someone who has one. Of course, those were shot down as "irrelevant" and "anecdotal".
Yep.

It was a gross generalization on people who don't own cars. Why should I believe anecdotes from an internet forum over anecdotes from personal experience? I could provide plenty of anecdotes of people who don't own cars and aren't moochers, including previously myself.

Last edited by nei; 01-31-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,105,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It was a gross generalization on people who don't own cars. I could provide plenty of anecdotes of people who don't own cars and aren't moochers, including previously myself.
Previously myself as well.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
As far as "bumming rides", I believe Ohiogirl81 knows whereof she speaks. I have read many a "frugal living" website and blog, they all talk about borrow, borrow, borrow. Not rent, rent, rent, or the like. I have been appalled at some of the suggestions frugal livers have. Absolute mooching in some cases.

The last time this came up, I reposted some posts from other forums where people said just that, the way to live w/o a car is to know someone who has one. Of course, those were shot down as "irrelevant" and "anecdotal". I have also known people IRL who are constantly borrowing, borrowing, borrowing, and I'm not talking about a cup of sugar, or asking for a a ride in an emergency.
I would make a point of not knowing those people anymore.

I believe you that there are certainly people without cars that mooch rides and things like that. But, as a young person who semi-not-by-choice lived without a car for two and a half years and had dozens of peers in the exact same situation, most people I knew just used transit and walking to get around. Of course I would have no idea of knowing how much they asked to borrow a car or get a ride, but it did not seem to be often, if ever. But it never seemed to be a "game-plan" for getting places or deciding what we did.

Of course, most of my peers were college-educated people just trying to get by and make rent working at a coffee shop and any other odd job they could find, so perhaps it was not the most fertile ground for finding moochers.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:

and i know people who own cars and bum rides because their car is in the shop, they have a temp medical condition making it harder to drive, or they just "dont like driving in the city" and who LIVE ON A BUS LINE but "figuring out how to take the bus is TOO HARD".

Thats a personal style.

Its not particularly a charecteristic of the young, the carfree, or even the frugal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning