U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM

389 posts, read 403,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Oh whoops, should have been more clear, they're not all in the same place.

@Katiana

do they look like Colorado?
That is just a pure guess on my part, my cousin used to play for the denver broncos, and the pics he sent me of the rocky mountains reminded of those pics you posted. Ones with the mountains at least.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM

389 posts, read 403,294 times
Actually the first three pics in number 12 look like the appalachian mountains

Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM

87,209 posts, read 103,221,906 times
Quote:
Oh whoops, should have been more clear, they're not all in the same place.

@Katiana

do they look like Colorado?
I don't think there are any black bear in Colorado. I was going to say Alaska until I saw you said "continental" US. The other two mountain pictures could be Colorado, but probably aren't since I'd guess they were taken on the same trip. Wyoming?

Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,377,410 times
None are in Alaska. Which other two could be in Colorado? They're over a wide area, but most one trip.

Colorado has black bears, I guess not in the area where you live.

bears/BearSMART Durango: Durango, CO

he black bear population in Colorado is estimated at around 12,000 animals.

but most of them are brown-colored but they're technically black bears. Maybe that's what you meant.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,164,503 times
It's all the northwest.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM

87,209 posts, read 103,221,906 times
Quote:
None are in Alaska. Which other two could be in Colorado? They're over a wide area, but most one trip.

Colorado has black bears, I guess not in the area where you live.

bears/BearSMART Durango: Durango, CO

he black bear population in Colorado is estimated at around 12,000 animals.

but most of them are brown-colored but they're technically black bears. Maybe that's what you meant.
The thing with the horns (I don't know what it is) and the thing with the tail, some sort of rodent, it looks like.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM

32,575 posts, read 60,281,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nature's great... where else would we do the mining and the logging and the ranching?
Don't forget fracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Dick, is that you?
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It's too early in the morning for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really wish the young people on this forum would quit dumping on their parents. Some of you are still in your "parental rebellion" phase, apparently.
I still am.

Quote:
Also, on this thread look at my nature photos.
They're very lovely. Much lovelier than Dick Cheyney.

*patting Nei on the head*

Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,211,546 times
Yes, Colorado has black bears. And a couple of those photos look like Wyoming (Tetons) which is a wonderful place DESPITE cheney living there part time. And nei, always appreciate your photos, especially when used to disarm trolls.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,377,410 times
Quote:
I really wish the young people on this forum would quit dumping on their parents. Some of you are still in your "parental rebellion" phase, apparently.
Don't trust anyone over 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Don't forget fracking.
Upstate NY is rather divided between anti- and pro-fracking. A good way to determine where the Ithaca "metro" ends is where the lawn signs switch from anti- to pro- fracking.

Quote:
They're very lovely. Much lovelier than Dick Cheyney.

*patting Nei on the head*
Thanks!

Quote:
The thing with the horns (I don't know what it is) and the thing with the tail, some sort of rodent, it looks like.
The animal with horns is a mountain goat. The rodent is a marmot, which found thoughout mountains in western North America. There are mountain goats in Colorado, but only because humans introduced them; their native range is further north.

As to the photos… for post #12:

1) As to weetah said, it's in Appalachia. Sorta. It's along the Deerfield River 9 miles west of Charlemont, MA. Physically Appalachia, but people tend not to refer to the Appalachians in NY State (especially eastern NY) and New England as Appalachia.

2) But #2 and #3 aren't in Appalachia. Or anywhere in the eastern US. #2 is along the Scott River in far Northern California, not that far from the Oregon Border*. It's rather wet for California but by the end of summer it'll get a semi-arid appearance.

*for western state sizes, not so much in the northeast, where it's common to live close to a state border.

3) Southen Oregon on the western slopes of the Cascades. Umpaqua River

4) Hoh Rainforest, Olympic National Park, WA.

Last two, especially #4, have the typical PNW moss. #2 has too many conifers for the east coast and the non-conifers don't look eastern.

5) Olympic Mountains, maybe 20 miles south of Sequim. Near Mt. Baldy

6) Hurricane Ridge, Olympic Mountains (in the park)

7) Mt. Slesse, North Cascades, 15 southeast of Chilliwack, BC

8) North Cascades, Manning Provincial Park. The mountain is in the US

9) North Cascades west of Stehkin, WA

10 & 11) North Cascades near Marblemount, WA

Next 3:

1) Chilliwack Lake, BC in the North Cascades by the international border. Noisy motorboat

2) Mattole Road near Ferndale, CA (not too far from the coast — far Northern CA) Don't think unfenced cattle is done in the Northeast US

3) Somewhere near the coast of northern Oregon

Post #22:

1) British Columbia east of the Cascades

2) North Cascades. Cloud trap!

3 & 4) Western, MA. From Sugarloaf "Mountain". Little town in the last photo is Sunderland, MA.

so yeah, they're almost all Pacific Northwest. Or close to it.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 AM

2,145 posts, read 1,600,255 times
In which picture was the mountain desecrated?

Last edited by HiFi; 01-30-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning