U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I was talking about the awareness of global warming. While not a brand-new issue, it is certainly more in the forefront of the debate than it was even in the early 90s. That's all that I am saying, obviously environmentalism is not a new thing. As a Californian, I am very, very aware of John Muir and my favorite Prez was always Teddy Roosevelt.

Some of you guys on this board are really condescending. Not sure why you are so defensive, I am making a point of not bashing boomers because I know how sensitive some of the posters on this thread are about their generation.
That's because, as late as the late 70s, the media was talking about global cooling and perhaps another ice age. I distinctly remember this, having been an adult at the time.
Global cooling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by weteath View Post
Such a big generalization, most people my age take it as their responsibility to get around, you know why? Because it is their responsibility. Even with the subpar transit here mostly young people use it.

Hmm, let's see, I know of no young people around here who desire to live in the boomers housing. The things we like are technology, maybe even to a fault, but that is a different discussion. The argument that young people want to move to cities to rebel? That is not the reason at all, yet some keep generalizing it is.
The post college young adults I know are not using transit in any great numbers. More may be living in the city than in my generation, but a lot are still living in the burbs. Both of my daughters had to make compromises with their SOs regarding where to live based on job locations; both ended up in the burbs. The older DD's friends are all buying houses, condos, etc, and I don't really know anyone who actually bought in the city, though some live there.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,105,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Instead they bum rides from their friends who do have cars.

I've had just about enough of the "bumming rides" accusations.

And for those who feel the need to constantly remind millenials that nothing they do is original, you can be assured that they aren't listening.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM

32,382 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And there are plenty that don't. Just because some you know do bum rides doesn't mean you can generalize.
I realize that. But one also cannot generalize that younger people are more environmentally conscious than anyone else just because they don't have cars.

Quote:
If you referring to carpooling, carpooling was more common decades maybe even for the babyboom generation.
Trust me, there's no carpooling going on here. This particular group of co-workers and their friends decide where they're going, and when, based on who they can get a ride from.

Quote:
I Not sure why you are so defensive
Because we're old and cranky and need a vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's because, as late as the late 70s, the media was talking about global cooling and perhaps another ice age.
Blizzard of '77! And '78! Brrrrrrrrr.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,115,862 times
Quote:
That's because, as late as the late 70s, the media was talking about global cooling and perhaps another ice age. I distinctly remember this, having been an adult at the time.
I suppose I should bow down to the superior old person?

Quote:
The post college young adults I know are not using transit in any great numbers. More may be living in the city than in my generation, but a lot are still living in the burbs. Both of my daughters had to make compromises with their SOs regarding where to live based on job locations; both ended up in the burbs. The older DD's friends are all buying houses, condos, etc, and I don't really know anyone who actually bought in the city, though some live there.
It's the same thing with the 'bumming a ride' accusation. Just because you know a couple lazy leaches doesn't mean an entire generation is that way.

http://www.uspirg.org/sites/pirg/fil...on%20vUS_0.pdf

Quote:
From World War II until just a few years ago, the number of miles driven annually on America’s roads steadily increased. Then, at the turn of the century, something changed: Americans began driving less. By 2011, the average American was driving 6 percent fewer miles per year than in 2004. (See Figure ES-1.) The trend away from driving has been led by young people. From 2001 to 2009, the average annual number of vehiclemiles traveled by young people (16 to 34-year-olds) decreased from 10,300 miles to 7,900 miles per capita—a drop of 23 percent.
It may not be strictly or even foremost for environmental reasons, but it is a fact that younger people are driving less and less every year, as is just about everyone.

Last edited by nei; 01-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-31-2013, 11:05 AM

32,382 posts, read 59,858,320 times
Quote:
I suppose I should bow down to the superior old person?
At least to her first-hand knowledge, yes.

Quote:
Just because you know a couple lazy leaches doesn't mean an entire generation is that way.
These are the same leeches who brag because they don't need a car. Yet they need friends who have cars?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,715,921 times
Quote:
The majority of the people I see at the local farm markets are in their 40s and older.
?
depends on which markets you look at - and the whole locavore/sustainable food thing is more than farmers markets - but of course its not ONLY millenials who are into it.

Quote:
Instead they bum rides from their friends who do have cars.?
If its where their friends are going anyway, thats great - car pooling to save fuel and emissions. Eve n if its not, if it enables them to not own a car, that saves resources (those needed to build a car) and typically means they still do a lot of non car trips.

Quote:
What you hear from millennials is that they either don't want to be saddled with mortgages like their evil parents are, or they can't afford to buy houses because Baby Boomers aren't dying off fast enough for them to get the Boomers' jobs and their houses. Where are they planting all these native plants?

There are older millenials in my area who do own houses.

"Baby Boomers aren't dying off fast enough for them to get the Boomers' jobs and their houses"

Wow. Ive never heard that. Maybe I only encounter nice millenials.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
These are the same leeches who brag because they don't need a car. Yet they need friends who have cars?
No, they don't.

You're generalizing. Whoops, didn't see your response.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM

389 posts, read 400,717 times
Quote:

Fair point, granted Michigan is heavily car oriented, people who use transit here are moreso putting up with how it is, and for sure you won't see any of the older generation use it unless they don't have much wealth. Of the post grad folk I know, one got married right away and lives in the suburbs, for the post grads it is like a split, some stay in Ann Arbor, many go on to Chicago because it is still Midwest.

Another reason it isn't hard to believe more young people are going to cities, when I'm in Detroit, yes Detroit, the streets aren't buzzing but once you are in a place it's packed with mid to late 20 somethings, who live in that WSU area.

It's also worth noting cities differ, just because it is one way in one place doesn't mean it equals the trend.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 AM

8,803 posts, read 10,715,921 times
Quote:
I realize that. But one also cannot generalize that younger people are more environmentally conscious than anyone else just because they don't have cars.
But if they actually drive less a result, and are doing so for enviro reasons, they ARE more environmentally conscious.

Quote:
Trust me, there's no carpooling going on here. This particular group of co-workers and their friends decide where they're going, and when, based on who they can get a ride from.
but that is perfect. They change their travel patterns to avoid an incremental car trip. How is that any different from deciding where to shop based on which malls is served by transit, and which isnt?

Quote:
Because we're old and cranky and need a vacation!

I think a nice bike ride would probably help.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times
Quote:
Btw, if you look carefully at the link, it was mostly a media creation. Only a few scientists mentioned cooling, most weren't very certain. And the graph at the top shows that in the 70s the numbers of cooling papers were dwarfed by the warming ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning