Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Any evidence that the scientific community views the environmental movement with disdain?

for example,

Partial Response to the London Channel 4 Film "The Great Global Warming Swindle"

I am often asked about Al Gore and his film. I don't know Gore, but he strikes me as a very intelligent man who is seriously concerned about what global change will mean for the world. He is a lawyer/politician, not a scientist, who has clearly worked hard to master a very complicated subject and to convey his worries to the public. Some of the details in the film make me cringe, but I think the overall thrust is appropriate. To the extent that he has gotten some things wrong, I mainly fault his scientific advisers, who should know better, but not Al Gore.
In what way did I suggest disdain? They think it is adorable and eat it right up, but no they do not respect it.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Any evidence that the scientific community views the environmental movement with disdain?

for example,

Partial Response to the London Channel 4 Film "The Great Global Warming Swindle"

I am often asked about Al Gore and his film. I don't know Gore, but he strikes me as a very intelligent man who is seriously concerned about what global change will mean for the world. He is a lawyer/politician, not a scientist, who has clearly worked hard to master a very complicated subject and to convey his worries to the public. Some of the details in the film make me cringe, but I think the overall thrust is appropriate. To the extent that he has gotten some things wrong, I mainly fault his scientific advisers, who should know better, but not Al Gore.
That quote pretty much sounds exactly like someone talking about a kid and his 'lil shoppers' cart. He probably would have given al gore a noogie and rustled up his hair following the statement.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Dick, is that you?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
The way the message is being delivered may change, but the basics are just good manners. Waste not, want not, Don't be a glutton, Don't take more than you need, Don't harm things unnecessarily, Use things up, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The way the message is being delivered may change, but the basics are just good manners. Waste not, want not, Don't be a glutton, Don't take more than you need, Don't harm things unnecessarily, Use things up, etc.
While that may be true about the "basics," the values have changed over time and vary widely, even within cross-sections. Look at the urban-suburban battlefields on this forum. Some find a big SFH lot wasteful, others do not. Some think cars are absolutely wasteful, others do not. "Waste" and "harm" are very personal concepts related to an individual's personal history and socio-economic status.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
100% agree. The interesting thing with the whole environmental movement is that people attach morality to it, which often results in cutting back in one area and being wasteful in another. My parents are guilty of this. My dad recycles newspapers, cups, plastics religiously. He lectures anyone who doesn't. But my parents travel extensively to South America where they have a second home. They even shipped appliances from the U.S. Talk about enlarging that footprint. But since he puts his energies into recycling and feels morally superior, he doesn't even notice the environmental harm in his other habits.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I really wish the young people on this forum would quit dumping on their parents. Some of you are still in your "parental rebellion" phase, apparently.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And posts like this one demonstrate a pattern of self-righteousness, peddled "guilt", and demonization that would make a gaggle of "church ladies" over in Possum Hollow seem tame by comparison.
I had a next-to-impossible time deciphering your post (just kidding I didn't even try)... But you are very, very, very sensitive if you think this "demonstrate[s] a pattern of self-righteousness", peddles guilt or demonizes... anything?

Quote:
What is really hilarious is the hostility you are exhibiting towards people that care about the environment. I'm certainly not brainwashed and living in a walkable and dense environment has little to do with my environmental views, but I do see it as a bonus that my carbon footprint is a little bit smaller than it would be in other situations.

Also maybe because we have to live on this planet after you are gone so taking care of it is more of a priority as science advances and shows how some of our activities are more harmful to the planet than others. And it does make a difference - just look at Los Angeles' smog problem in the last 40 years.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really wish the young people on this forum would quit dumping on their parents. Some of you are still in your "parental rebellion" phase, apparently.
I just went through the thread and don't see anyone dumping on their parents.

EDIT: Oh I see. Well that is one person, I wish some people on this thread would stop acting like a one-time occurrence is a trend.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM

389 posts, read 469,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not dumping on my parents, well other than the fact that one of my parents doesn't understand why I want to live in city, tries to bring up every reason not to go or live there.

Anyways, I'm able to see why my parents who have lived in the suburbs all there life want to stay, doesn't mean I have to or will take the same path as them, I'm very different from both parents. Some of my parents siblings live in whatever city, and have stayed put.

I don't look at myself wanting to move to a city as some kind of rebellion, for me it is as simple as I have those kind of taste to where I enjoy city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning