Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM

281 posts, read 747,952 times

Advertisements

In Northern VA we have two planned communities that as part of their development philosophy saved a significant amount of land from development during the build out of the community. (Reston and Burke). Instead of every piece of land set aside for homes and strip centers a significant amount of land is fields or woods, but not necessarily active parkland, instead just designated open space. Though there is no free lunch, the residents of these communities pay for the land as open space through higher than normal homeowners association fees.

Would you be open to paying significantly higher homeowners association fees to keep a relatively large amount of your community protected from development and thus woods or fields, or would you rather see the area developed so you could save in property taxes and homeowners fees?

Remember, in this case the land is not active parkland but just open space. How much is too much?

Do you think the open space and protected woodland increases property values more than having a shopping mall in the protected woodland with tons of popular restaurants? Many residents of these communities would rather have the woods cuts down to build a restaurant park. Would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 13,446,814 times
It seems like it could be cheaper, easier, and more effective than a potential NIMBY war down the road.

There is an area in Accokeek MD called Moyaone Reserve that did something that I believe is similar, though I don't know a lot about it.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
My city requires 15% of land in a development be dedicated to open space. The city of Westminster, CO, has tons of open space. Both suburban cities, BTW.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,951,498 times
Why would it cost more to have more open space? Especially if we're talking about un-maintained nature areas.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Why would it cost more to have more open space? Especially if we're talking about un-maintained nature areas.
I guess it's opportunity cost, e.g. the taxes lost, etc. There is some maintenance to open space, even in a "natural" state.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,183,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess it's opportunity cost, e.g. the taxes lost, etc. There is some maintenance to open space, even in a "natural" state.
What kinda maintenance would be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My city requires 15% of land in a development be dedicated to open space. The city of Westminster, CO, has tons of open space. Both suburban cities, BTW.
Long Island doesn't usually, but there's a preserved piece of 100 acre woods nearby where I grew up. Only maintenance was for trails done by Boy Scouts.

Maybe the maintenance there is because forests don't grow as much naturally?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What kinda maintenance would be done?

Long Island doesn't usually, but there's a preserved piece of 100 acre woods nearby where I grew up. Only maintenance was for trails done by Boy Scouts.

Maybe the maintenance there is because forests don't grow as much naturally?
As you said, trails. We have a lot of paved biking/walking paths through the open space in Louisville. These paths are usually cleared of snow before the residential streets. The city does mow a border around the paths. I guess even natural areas need some maintenance, e.g. cutting down dead trees, etc. Very little of the open space is forested.

City of Louisville, Colorado - Open Space Division

Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 AM

281 posts, read 747,952 times
Quote:
You are paying the cost of the bonds to purchase the sites (woods and fields) and also there is lost money because the land stays as woods and fields instead of turning into a shopping mall that would bring in property tax revenue, jobs and sales tax. But the open space nearby may increase property taxes because the community looks nicer and so it is more disireable and the home valuations go up as a result.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:13 AM

12,999 posts, read 18,804,740 times
Quote:
Libertyville Township IL has had an open space district almost 30 years. Among the costs involved are cleaning up the land as many dumpers find it an attractive site. The costs do not end when the land is purchased. And, of course, the land produces no tax revenue.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,548,242 times
Grosse Ile Township, Michigan has open land. But it's an island municipality and so I don't think there are really any HOA fees and taxes are limited because it's a township. However, there is a toll for one of the two bridges connecting to the island and the median household income is $87,000. So most people who choose to live here will likely have money anyway and prefer a quieter lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning