U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:39 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,108,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Omaha, Indianapolis, OKC.
All three feature the prevalent suburban form (SFHs, autocentric design) as the dominant form of housing, even within a mile of the city center. Maybe what you're saying is that there are few suburbs. I don't think this is what the OP was asking though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 42,008,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
All three feature the prevalent suburban form (SFHs, autocentric design) as the dominant form of housing, even within a mile of the city center. Maybe what you're saying is that there are few suburbs. I don't think this is what the OP was asking though.
Eh. I thought that was meant as a joke.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. I thought that was meant as a joke.
No, it wasn't a joke, though it's no sillier than saying SF or NY is the city with little or zero suburban area. Using the principal definition of suburban in the US and Canada, SF is hugely suburbanized, as is NYC. It seems to be the definition the OP had in mind too, though it's hard to tell from the way the OP was stated.

I am very familiar with Omaha, and I have a primary source here to help me out. The city center is around 16th and Dodge Sts, according to my source. Given 10 blocks to a mile, 26th St. is still the heart of the city. There's no suburban "form" there. Central High (see map) is on 20th St. and it was the former capitol building for the territory of Nebraska, hardly something one would locate in the suburbs prior to the Civil War. DH lived about 5 miles west of there, and I wouldn't call where he grew up "the burbs", either. There is no "East Omaha"; the downtown area goes to the Missouri River (9th St at that point in the city) and then you cross the river into Iowa. Omaha's MSA is about twice the size of the city, far less than most other cities of 400,000 or more. Since MSA is calculated by commuting patterns, not population density, a lot of those people outside the city are actually living in quite rural areas. (Pan map to the west.) Douglas and Sarpy counties, the main counties in the metro area have about 676,000 people total.

I'm not as familiar with Indianapolis, and I've never been to OKC, but both are cities with large geographic areas and not much else surrounding them.

Google Maps

Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
No, it wasn't a joke, though it's no sillier than saying SF or NY is the city with little or zero suburban area. Using the principal definition of suburban in the US and Canada, SF is hugely suburbanized, as is NYC. It seems to be the definition the OP had in mind too, though it's hard to tell from the way the OP was stated.
The OP has never come back, but he said people not living in houses but rather buildings or "European-style" which I assumed meant more in apartment buildings*. No American city comes close, but New York City is far closer than any other city, and San Francisco ranks rather high. Haven't been any of the three cities you mentioned but I assume all of them would rank low on

Don't wish have that argument on the thread, and while I feel what the principal definition of suburban for the US is debatable, city limits is what the census uses (when it does distinguish, it usually doesn't). The Canadian equivalent of the census bureau uses a different definition (see 2nd paragraph):

It considers the last two, distance from center and housing density, the best measures of suburban or urban identity. Suburbs are defined as primarily single-family housing located at distance from the center of the city, while urban areas are primarily multi-family buildings near the center.

Suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*He said European-style is in buildings not houses. I suspect the poster is from Spain, where that's almost true. That's certainly not true for some other parts of Europe. The only city I have data on hand for, Paris, I found that houses (detached or attached) make up 40% of the housing units, though just about 0 for the city proper which holds barely one-fifth of the metro's population. I think I could find data for English cities if anyone's interested.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Here is the first sentence from your link:

A suburb is a residential area, either existing as part of a city (as in Australia and New Zealand), or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city (as in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom).

So perhaps the above is the colloquial use, while their census bureau uses a somewhat different definition.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,273,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I hope not. Sounds like it would be really crowded and dirty.
Sounds beautiful, If you ask me, and anyway, who couldn't love some people and grit in their city?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,108,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Sounds beautiful, If you ask me, and anyway, who couldn't love some people and grit in their city?
I could do with about 200,000 more people and considerably less grit in Baltimore.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Here is the first sentence from your link:

A suburb is a residential area, either existing as part of a city (as in Australia and New Zealand), or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city (as in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom).

So perhaps the above is the colloquial use, while their census bureau uses a somewhat different definition.
Perhaps, though it's hard to tell where Wikipedia is getting the first sentence since it doesn't source. I'm rather sure the British definition doesn't follow city limits.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 PM

As for New York City, skimming through census numbers, my guess is the NYC metro would be close to 40% of housing units, maybe even slightly less. The metro has so many counties it'd be tedious to calculate an exact number. The census doesn't distinguish between attached and detached housing, though.

While Paris and the NYC metro might be similar in % houses, the density of the outer portions is much lower for NYC and houses' lot size much bigger.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Since we were talking about Omaha, I thought I'd post this story I heard on NPR today.

Omaha: How's the housing market where Warren Buffett lives? | Marketplace.org

Actually, the 1.2 million dollar house in the picture would probably cost about the same in metro Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or